How many years has wanny set us back | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How many years has wanny set us back

yankeehillbilly said:
Poor gameplanning only affects the current year, so he didnt set us back at all there.
Poor drafting... It will probably take Saban at least a couple of years to get the right players on the roster.
Poor choice of assistants...this is probably the worst. Even when Wanny got lucky with a pick, he still ended up subjecting the player to some really bad teachers....especially Tony Wise. Houck did wonders with SD's line, but I dont think those players had to "un-learn" as much bad coaching as our guys do. I'd say a 3-4 year setback here.

Overall.....IMO Wanny probably set us back 2 and a half years.
i tend to agree with you on the two and a half years maybe three, honestly i remember the first game wanny coached, I was only 16 then and i wasn't really impressed even at that point. I hope Saban can accelerate our catching up process though.

Well if Aj does not turn out to be a decent QB, Spielmen set the Phins back atleast 2 seasons.

just 1 beyond his tenure. we weren't in a horrible cap situation like the titans. qbs make all the difference, but wannstedt isn't too much to blame for that, considering we haven't drafted one, seriously, in over 20 years.

seriously, the suddeness of our ****tiness was out of his control (ricky retirement, innumerable injuries). now, if you want to talk about the constant decline that was going on, that's another matter. had he been kept much longer, we'd be set back a lot, because the team wasn't getting any better.

The biggest Wannstedt administrative problem for me was the frequent trading of draft picks, then with the few that were left, reaching for players who weren't of need or considered too much of a project(Eddie Moore, Wade Smith) I'd like to see what Feeley can do, but no way should Wannspiel given away a 2, and then a 3 for Gordon, although in that case they had an extra pick and were desperate for a RB.

Bonedoc7777 said:
so it seems that coach wanny was the big reason our rasta running back quit, maybe ricky is smarter then we think, how many more careers did he screw up and how many years did he set us back, i am thinking like thirty

Disagree. Ricky quitting and the team failing last year led to DW's subsequent demise. That was a GOOD thing.

Where Dave did set us back was in poor drafts and trading away draft picks for veterans to fill a "need" and that is a bad move. Rick Spielman contributed to the problem as well.

What sets a team back is not drafting well or having too few selections. It loses the replacements when players begin to age and injuries emerge. The team may be solid this year at most starting positions, but the lack of depth from younger players could hurt as several players go down with injuries.

Bonedoc7777 said:
so it seems that coach wanny was the big reason our rasta running back quit, maybe ricky is smarter then we think, how many more careers did he screw up and how many years did he set us back, i am thinking like thirty

Well, think of Jamar Fletcher, Freeman, possibly Carey, Reggie Howard, Rueben Droughns, Wade Smith, Eddie Moore, Morlon Greenwood, AJ Feeley, Chris Chambers, Randy McMicheal, Ricky, Robert Konrad...thats just a few people in recent years that Wanny has drafted and either played out of position or scheme in which they excelled at previously or he has not given them any other tools to be successful with. I am not saying that any of these guys will or should have been superstars, but all were either marginal or busts here because of not being utilized correctly or had wasted careers. Throw in Madison, JT, ZT, TBowens, PS as guys that prolonged DWs tenure here because they fit into his scheme and were somewhat successful, but not as successful as they should have been. His insistence in playing ONLY his scheme and his style of ball, not adjusting his game plan to his talent, selecting talent that did not fit his schemes and finally, having a lack of ability or a resistance to making game day adjustments and half time adjustments and you see where it has gotten us...

Bopkin02 said:
The biggest Wannstedt administrative problem for me was the frequent trading of draft picks, then with the few that were left, reaching for players who weren't of need or considered too much of a project(Eddie Moore, Wade Smith) I'd like to see what Feeley can do, but no way should Wannspiel given away a 2, and then a 3 for Gordon, although in that case they had an extra pick and were desperate for a RB.

Neither of those moves were Wanstadt's. At that point, he'd been replaced by Spielman. Other than that, I agree with your post. He reached too often, he traded too many picks, and he paid far too much attention to the defense.

Our offense, based on salary structure, was relegated to an afterthought. Now, I can deal with things being a bit unbalanced, but it seemed like every dollar we spent on offense meant four dollars were spent on defense, and that's just not how you win, from a managerial standpoint.

His play calling was absolutely attrocious, as well. We'll never know how good our defense could have been because he never took a chance on that side of the ball. TB and Baltimore used to blitz mercilessly, while mixing schemes and taking advantage of their versatility. We had the same kind of talent, IMO, we just never bothered to explore it. We played straight up and never seemed to try to get aggressive, like we should have. Obviously, the same goes for our miserable excuse of an offense.

Bates did a much better job in his short stint as our head man...

Last year was the worst season since 1966, the year the Dolphins Franchise was started..Wanny.Spielman,Ricky set us back what..(39YEARS)..:eek: :shakeno:

BBsuck said:
Last year was the worst season since 1966, the year the Dolphins Franchise was started..Wanny.Spielman,Ricky set us back what..(39YEARS)..:eek: :shakeno:
True but we jumped right back up to 1970 with Saban!!:hi5:

HOW FAR WERE WE SET BACK?

I think Chicago fans could answer that one!

Bonedoc7777 said:

It's convienent to blame the coach b/c Ricky is a pot smoking mental patient.

The problem with Wanny was his world-view. He was a nice guy, and nice guys usually finish last. There's a reason for that old cliché. Nice guys believe that playing it safe and hard work will always bring them rewards. This is why Wanny was conservative and played not to lose. Problem is, competition in life isn't like that, and neither is football at the NFL level. If all other things are about equal and someone is meaner, more inventive and more devious, in the short run he beats the nice guy every time. Ugly, but true. Now add draft busts, an aging defense, the turmoil of Ricky leaving, Boston and all the backs going down, AJ being new, the O-line never having played together, etc, and the nice guy has no clue how to deal with it, because hard work and playing it safe won't cut it. You get ...4-12. What would it have been without Wanny? Maybe 8-8.

The problem with JJ and Wanny is they believe they can line up their guys and beat your guys. They would tell BB and Bill Parcells what they were going to do. Good coaches create strategies to beat bad coaches. This is the nfl with the best coaches. Let see for the last 5 years we have rushed 4 and used mostly man coverage. No real surprises. Every defense has a weakness all they had to do was game plan for it. On offense we liked to run it and had a QB unable to throw deep...put 8 or 9 in the box and watch the underneath stuff. Not even mentioning our bad line. Sooner or later we would dump the run. God forbid we ever try a screen pass. All they had to do was stop Ricky...when we had him. At least Feeley threw the ball down field...I know mostly to the wrong guy but he threw it, something we had not seen in a few years. Saban is full of surprises and likes to put pressure on the QB...force them to throw it early. See how they like it.

nyjunc said:
It's convienent to blame the coach b/c Ricky is a pot smoking mental patient.

Go hole up in Carrboro or the South Bronx with your worn-out memories of Joe Willie and the guaranteed victory, Jets fan. We don't have Wanny any more, and Ricky the pot smoking mental patient and Ronnie Brown will run all over your team. Remember, you now have Fiedler. :wink:

cdz12250 said:
Go hole up in Carrboro or the South Bronx with your worn-out memories of Joe Willie and the guaranteed victory, Jets fan. We don't have Wanny any more, and Ricky the pot smoking mental patient and Ronnie Brown will run all over your team. Remember, you now have Fiedler. :wink:

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom