How Matt Moore brought us back | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Matt Moore brought us back

BSQ

Scout Team
Club Member
Reaction score
In re watching the Jets Dolphin game 1 things stood out to me. If Cutler didn't go down, allowing for Moore to come in, we would now be 3-3 and would have the unhappy reality of being SWEPT BY THE JETS!!!! Matt Moore saved our butts. How many think we would have won the game if Cutler stayed in to the end. I'll bet not many. I'm almost 100% sure we would have lost.

It's 28-14 Jets, 12:28 left in the 4th quarter, ball on the Jets 42. This is where the magic began. Quick out to Landry gives us a first on about the 32. After throwing the ball away on 2nd down it's a crucial 3rd and 7, 11:41 left in the game. The announcer says, "the Dolphins are 2 of 8 on 3rd down." Moore drops back and fires the ball to an exact spot where Kenny Stills goes high up over Buster Skrine, #41, of the Jets. Moore knows these receivers much better than Cutler. He can play faster and he can throw receivers open. Shrine was targeted 7 times and yielded 7 completions. Good coverage, Dude!!!!

11:21 left, Jet's ball, it's LOUD at Hard Rock Stadium. 1st down inc pass because Timmons gets into the throwing lane, veteran play. Now they get a false start because they can't hear the signals. 2nd and 15 is a screen to Forte, we limit it to 5 yards. #rd and 10-McCown drops back and is denied his first read by Kiko and by then Wake, Harris and Suh crush him to the turf.

Jet's punt the ball to Grant. Dolphin ball on their own 46. After a penalty on Skrine, one would think we were targeting him, it's still first down. We end up here in a 3rd and 10 with 8:56 to go. It's a huge play in the game. This is where Dolphin teams in the past would screw up. The inevitable interception, the fumble or just general incompetence. But, this is Adam Gase's Dolphins and for some reason mostly good stuff occurs in these moments. Moore fires to Landry and he hurdles tacklers showing passion and desire and it's a first down to the 32. I'm a lifetime Dolphin fan and as I sit waiting for the implosion Landry again makes a cluch grab and takes it to the 3. We fires a quick TD pass to Stills but Caroo is called for P.I. Having the tying TD called back would break most Dolphin teams. At the 6:25 mark we do what Dolphin teams of the past couldn't. We fire the ball to Stills who makes a one hand catch for the score!

This was an amazingly exciting comeback and I'm so proud that the team fought so hard the whole way and never gave up. The defense clamped down on the Jet's and played them very tough in the second half. The pressure put on McCown was relentless and our LBers are playing some of the best Football in the NFL. The defense gets a big assist for this win but clearly the hero was Matt Moore, who simply plays faster than Cutler, and is able to move the offense better than Cutler has all season. Bobby McCain made the big pick to clinch it and Parkey has been Mr. Perfect. 31-28 victory, so very sweet.

I agree, we lose if Cutler doesn't get knocked out of the game. Moore had more passes over 10 yards in his 1+ quarter than Cutler has had in the last two games combined.

Ravens are giving up over 145 yards per game on the ground. Hopefully we can get something going on the ground and make it easier for the offense on a short week.

Last edited:
Reactions: BSQ
I mean when you plan all week to stack the box against Cutler and then come the 4th quarter in 100 degree field heat you are tasked with a different QB who one reads and gets rid of the football and lets it fly all over and you haven't planned for that . . .I mean It was just a great situation for us and one that coaches should factor in more often without the need for an injury to happen.

Cutler wasn't having a bad game and I am not gonna sit here and say he wouldn't of made that same comeback, especially coming off the week before, but I would be lying if I said I didn't see a clear burst of energy from the team and fans when Moore came in, something both have lacked.

The problem with Moore is limitations and the chances he takes despite those limitations. He is excellent in the role we have him in, but good defenses and defensive coaches have exploited him with proper gameplanning.

I mean I wish him the best, he has always been a favorite of mine, and the offense, hell the team, needed a spark and he is a sparkplug . . . But I still think the highest potential for sustained offensive success is with Jay Cutler at QB in 2017. Whether we were to see that potential this season, who knows.

But if Moore goes on a run and this team is winning, you ride him. Sometimes you gotta throw the X's and O's out and go with the guy who has proven he can get production out of your skilled playmakers.

We need both QBs healthy

I find it funny that once Moore gets in Miami suddenly gets better throwing deep..seems to me Gase knows Jay can’t go deep.

Blows my mind he’s starting..

That's datruth!! If we can get Ajay some holes to run through, we can pound the Ravens all day. At 3-4 the Ravens have not been so great this year, so far. I see this as a very winnable game.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my take on Moore is that he needs to not sling it as much and rely on our running game more. I think his sling it mentality has been his Achilles Heal over his career and that is what get's him in to trouble. Don't get me wrong, I like that he is always looking to make the big throw; however, I think he needs to learn to play within himself more and try to keep our offense more balanced. Let those big play opportunities come to him instead of forcing it. If the defense knows you are going to sling it most of the time they can T-off on you. IMO, Moore needs to be managed for us to have our best chance of winning going forward.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but my take on Moore is that he needs to not sling it as much and rely on our running game more. I think his sling it mentality has been his Achilles Heal over his career and that is what get's him in to trouble. Don't get me wrong, I like that he is always looking to make the big throw; however, I think he needs to learn to play within himself more and try to keep our offense more balanced. Let those big play opportunities come to him instead of forcing it. If the defense knows you are going to sling it most of the time they can T-off on you. IMO, Moore needs to be managed for us to have our best chance of winning going forward.

Agreed. Let MM throw earlt to empty the box, then let the run game get going. I think PART of MM's problem has been no respectable run game. Put him in a position to not NEED to force throws and I think (hope) his recklessness would be lessened.

I'll be interested in how Gase plans the Ravens game. If he let's MM throw early, that tells me he knows Cutler can't be trusted and, more importantly, shows he isn't blindly obsessed with the run.

I know one thing...that corner route td throw to stills once he identified the deep safety play side was coming on a blitz was better than any throw cutler made in 5 plus games...as was the boundary fade back shoulder to landry that was boss stuff....

the inside placement vs the cover 2 seam route on an outside release clear out fasano seam more than anything else though that was no bueno

cutler air mails 8 yard stop routes...that craps a joke

I know one thing...that corner route td throw to stills once he identified the deep safety play side was coming on a blitz was better than any throw cutler made in 5 plus games...as was the boundary fade back shoulder to landry that was boss stuff....

the inside placement vs the cover 2 seam route on an outside release clear out fasano seam more than anything else though that was no bueno

cutler air mails 8 yard stop routes...that craps a joke

Those were precisely the plays that, as soon as they were made, I said to myself were different from anything Cutler has offered. And that has to inspire the team when the QB can make ballsy plays like that with his arm alone.

well it wasn't all gravy moore definitely set the protection the wrong way which took us out of fg range on the sack going in for the winning fg. should have id'd #56 instead he id'd #58 and slided the protection the wrong way

definitely more willing to stand in though

well it wasn't all gravy moore definitely set the protection the wrong way which took us out of fg range on the sack going in for the winning fg. should have id'd #56 instead he id'd #58 and slided the protection the wrong way

I think you just get the sense that Moore wants to win the game very badly, and I'm not sure that's the case with Cutler.

Matt Moore is a Jet killer. In his first start as a Dolphin he faced the jets for the first time and was soundly beaten when he threw 2 picks.
Since then he has beat them every time he has played them. 3-0 with 7 TD's and 4 picks

they both want to win it's just one is more willing to put his body on the line...you have to stand in...and cutlers not interested in that thus all the back foot

part of the problem too is that the 40 yard flat footed ropes are no longer part of cutlers arsenal but the mentality is still there

Moore was facing the same defense and the same pressure....

Yet I didn't see him fading way back and lobbing up lolly pops off his back foot.....

He stood in with sound footwork / mechanics and won the damn game...

I have been a J Cut supporter the entire time, but sometimes you ride the hot hand....

MM is a better QB right now, its obvious...

KDawg, we have all seen what you characterize as Matt Moore's limitations. Do you think under Gase's tutelage he can be molded in a way that cuts down on the turnovers? Can we see a better Matt Moore than ever? He looked really good against the Jets. Speaking of the Jets, under Bowles, they're building something good, imagine if they had a guy like Carr or Wentz, they'd be tough.

Back
Top Bottom