How Miami Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen Could Benefit From Waiting | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Miami Dolphins Qb Josh Rosen Could Benefit From Waiting

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
EP-190829723.jpg

Barring something unforeseen, Josh Rosen is going to begin his second season in the NFL and first in Miami as a backup quarterback, on the sideline, with a clipboard.

Dolphins coach Brian Flores explained Tuesday why that would not necessarily be a bad thing for Rosen, as it has paid dividends for others.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sport...nd-earning-like-tom-brady-and-patrick-mahomes

So I guess you'd classify Mahomes as a project QB? And Rogers? Brady? Farve? The list is endless...
I guess what he means is, if you're going to trade for a QB that doesnt work well with pressure, and sit him down because you cant put him in a situation where your team is probably going to end up in the bottom 5 of the league in pressures allowed. There's some kind of disconnect in the overall team building strategy department... Nevermind that you have made every effort possible into getting yourself in position to draft a QB just next year...

So I guess you'd classify Mahomes as a project QB? And Rogers? Brady? Farve? The list is endless...
so lets cite the hall of fame guys over the last 25 years as the rule and not the exception. in case you were still wondering, rosen is not gonna come close to those guys' careers.

I guess what he means is, if you're going to trade for a QB that doesnt work well with pressure, and sit him down because you cant put him in a situation where your team is probably going to end up in the bottom 5 of the league in pressures allowed. There's some kind of disconnect in the overall team building strategy department... Nevermind that you have made every effort possible into getting yourself in position to draft a QB just next year...
Dont forget that we picked up an extra 2nd round pick next year by trading back to the 63rd overall pick in the 1st place.

I dont get the big deal really. Fitzpatrick has proven that he will lose the starting job at some point and Rosen will get his chance. We aren't going to contend this year, so starting week1 vs. Week 6 shouldn't really matter.

We picked up a 1st round talent at QB for the 63rd overall pick just a year later. That seems like pretty good asset evaluation to me.

Never realized this was only a 1 year deal.

Beyond that -- every player that gets drafted or in Rosen's case -- traded after 1 season -- has to prove themselves
and funny thing is -- none come with a virtual guarantee. But I get it. Those who want to criticize and/or trash the
FO or staff etc. are going to seize every opportunity.

IMO it's best right now to just deal with what is at present -- and trust (or hope) the FO and staff have a plan in place
that will get us to where we want to be. But it's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to early to start questioning the process
because there's a long way to go -- and I think most "reasonable" fans get that.

so lets cite the hall of fame guys over the last 25 years as the rule and not the exception. in case you were still wondering, rosen is not gonna come close to those guys' careers.

Well ya know what -- no one knows. But you surely don't know he's a waste at this point in time either.

Like it or not -- it's going to take some time for the process to prove out. One way or another.

Project QBs are available later in the draft, but apparently the Dolphins like spending 1st and 2nd round picks on them.
He's a project because he hasn't shown he's ready to start after being given the chance to prove himself in camp and preseason games.

If he developed to the point of being worthy to start week 1 there wouldn't be a traded a 2nd for a project narrative.

I'm not sure why they spent a 2nd round pick on a guy that's not the future when we could of use that pick to acquire help in other areas of dire needs.

throw this qb in fire. stop playing around.
After watching tape of Rosen in a Cardinals uniform and watching him in camp I doubt they are playing around. Doing what is best for Dolphins and Rosen.

All of Flores quotes here in regards to Rosen reminded me of his earlier critique involving "body language". I think he wants Rosen to see how Fitzpatrick handles adversity. Last year Rosen watched Bradford retire midseason; Flores knows things aren't going to go well, but the QB needs to remain the leader. He knows Fitzpatrick can handle this, he's been on a few bad teams. Rosen, as of right now, isn't prepared for that role.

Dont forget that we picked up an extra 2nd round pick next year by trading back to the 63rd overall pick in the 1st place.

I dont get the big deal really. Fitzpatrick has proven that he will lose the starting job at some point and Rosen will get his chance. We aren't going to contend this year, so starting week1 vs. Week 6 shouldn't really matter.

We picked up a 1st round talent at QB for the 63rd overall pick just a year later. That seems like pretty good asset evaluation to me.

I actually liked the trade, I loved it because they took a shot and if they missed, they can take a much much(this is not a typo, i really mean much X2) better shot next draft... What I dont like is making that shot sit on the bench. Every game he sits makes "a shot in the dark" what they actually did...

The popular response to that is: "Well the OL sucks, why put him in that situation?". They are ****ing responsible for the OL sucking in the first place! Why Trade for a guy who you think sucks under pressure if you have no intention of doing anything about the "OL sucks" problem. Especially if you intend to replace him the following season if he sucks... It doesnt make any sense. There's a big ass hole in their strategy here.

Never realized this was only a 1 year deal.

Beyond that -- every player that gets drafted or in Rosen's case -- traded after 1 season -- has to prove themselves
and funny thing is -- none come with a virtual guarantee. But I get it. Those who want to criticize and/or trash the
FO or staff etc. are going to seize every opportunity.

IMO it's best right now to just deal with what is at present -- and trust (or hope) the FO and staff have a plan in place
that will get us to where we want to be. But it's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to early to start questioning the process
because there's a long way to go -- and I think most "reasonable" fans get that.

He's got one year because the Fins are 99.9% drafting another QB next season...

Last edited:
I actually liked the trade, I loved it because they took a shot and if they missed, they can take a much much better shot next draft... What I dont like is making that shot sit on the bench. Every game he sits makes "a shot in the dark" what they actually did...

The popular response to that is: "Well the OL sucks, why put him in that situation?". They are ****ing responsible for the OL sucking in the first place! Why Trade for a guy who you think sucks under pressure if you have no intention of doing anything about the "OL sucks" problem. Especially if you intend to replace him the following season if he sucks... It doesnt make any sense. There's a big *** hole in their strategy here.

He's got one year because the Fins are 99.9% drafting another QB next season...
I sort of agree but I have no problem him sitting for 3 to 4 weeks to gain confidence and learn. Fitzpatrick wont make it long and 12 games is more than enough time see what he is

Back
Top Bottom