How Mike Wallace changes everything | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Mike Wallace changes everything

So, we draft a raw wr in the first round? He has bust written all over him, if we go wr, we have to go Tavon Austin in my opinion.

People tend to forget Brandon MArshall was doubled, and sometimes triple teamed, and bess and hartline couldn't do anything about it. They still couldn't score worth a lick. And people also tend to forget that Wallace had antonio Brown and Sanders at WR in Pittsburgh. Both much quicker than the 3 stooges who compromise 75% of miami's WR corps.. I'm sorry, but that's not good enough. Not in this day and age.

I've been saying for years now on this board, how the NFL will eventually be the CFL, as it's becoming more and more like the CFL every day - that's the direction it's going. That's what the league office wants if anyone has been paying attention to what they've been saying for the last 5 years - tons of high scoring. And now you're hearing from so many pundits how the NFL is becoming a "space" league, where it's all about spacing. Well, no kidding.

Bringing in tavon Austin at #12 is a no brainer. Relying on slow pokes like hartline, bess and gibson to bring you a super bowl is silly. The Dolphins need athleticism and speed at the WR positions - especially now since they lost Bush. Wallace is nice but you still have 75% of your WR corps slow, so it hurts Wallace (again in Pitt Wallace had Antonio Brown and Sanders who can really move). And Tavon Austin isn't just a slot WR, you can line him up anywhere on the field . X, Y, Z , in the backfield, you name it. He is an offensive coordinators dream and a major weapon who makes EVERYONE around him better (NONE of hartline, bess or gibson make surrounding players better - hence they are NOT difference makers). Crappy slow guys like fasano and bess will become extinct in the NFL the way the league is going. . When you already have a Mike Wallace, having Austin too is a dream come true scenario - Especially if you can teach Miller how to come out of the backfield better to catch passes, and go in motion to line up in the slot as well - to really place pressure and fear on opposing defenses when you have an Austin in tow

As far as Keller, he doesn't have reliable hands and goes MIA with awful games with awful routes, and he's also what I call a "hat tipper". When he's in defenses are tipped off that it's going to be a pass play (this was a big complaint in NY). He can't block for anything. He's not just bad, he's pretty much totally useless at it. And who knows if he'll even stay healthy.

the dolphins haven't beaten a team with a good QB in 3 years. Against good QB's miami's defense falls flat on its face time and time again- schaub loss, andrew luck, loss giving up the most yards in nfl history against a rookie QB, Brady, both losses..etc. So you better bring in more weapons on offense and hope for the best. And Tavon Austin is that guy. The dolphins won't have the cupcake schedule they had last year, when it was the easiest schedule since 2008. This year's schedule will be pretty difficult and there's still a bunch of holes on this team and not close to enough playmakers on both sides of the ball. I see an 8-8 type year with this schedule (and before anyone chimes in with "we still have a draft", well that just proves my point even more because relying on a bunch of rookies to take you to the top, it never happens.... teams that are not good HAVE to rely on a rookie class, and thats just way too much pressure on players who've never played in the league all at once --- it always fails)

The Colts seemed to lean on their rookies pretty good last year huh

People tend to forget Brandon MArshall was doubled, and sometimes triple teamed, and bess and hartline couldn't do anything about it. They still couldn't score worth a lick. And people also tend to forget that Wallace had antonio Brown and Sanders at WR in Pittsburgh. Both much quicker than the 3 stooges who compromise 75% of miami's WR corps.. I'm sorry, but that's not good enough. Not in this day and age.

I've been saying for years now on this board, how the NFL will eventually be the CFL, as it's becoming more and more like the CFL every day - that's the direction it's going. That's what the league office wants if anyone has been paying attention to what they've been saying for the last 5 years - tons of high scoring. And now you're hearing from so many pundits how the NFL is becoming a "space" league, where it's all about spacing. Well, no kidding.

Bringing in tavon Austin at #12 is a no brainer. Relying on slow pokes like hartline, bess and gibson to bring you a super bowl is silly. The Dolphins need athleticism and speed at the WR positions - especially now since they lost Bush. Wallace is nice but you still have 75% of your WR corps slow, so it hurts Wallace (again in Pitt Wallace had Antonio Brown and Sanders who can really move). And Tavon Austin isn't just a slot WR, you can line him up anywhere on the field . X, Y, Z , in the backfield, you name it. He is an offensive coordinators dream and a major weapon who makes EVERYONE around him better (NONE of hartline, bess or gibson make surrounding players better - hence they are NOT difference makers). Crappy slow guys like fasano and bess will become extinct in the NFL the way the league is going. . When you already have a Mike Wallace, having Austin too is a dream come true scenario - Especially if you can teach Miller how to come out of the backfield better to catch passes, and go in motion to line up in the slot as well - to really place pressure and fear on opposing defenses when you have an Austin in tow

As far as Keller, he doesn't have reliable hands and goes MIA with awful games with awful routes, and he's also what I call a "hat tipper". When he's in defenses are tipped off that it's going to be a pass play (this was a big complaint in NY). He can't block for anything. He's not just bad, he's pretty much totally useless at it. And who knows if he'll even stay healthy.

the dolphins haven't beaten a team with a good QB in 3 years. Against good QB's miami's defense falls flat on its face time and time again- schaub loss, andrew luck, loss giving up the most yards in nfl history against a rookie QB, Brady, both losses..etc. So you better bring in more weapons on offense and hope for the best. And Tavon Austin is that guy. The dolphins won't have the cupcake schedule they had last year, when it was the easiest schedule since 2008. This year's schedule will be pretty difficult and there's still a bunch of holes on this team and not close to enough playmakers on both sides of the ball. I see an 8-8 type year with this schedule (and before anyone chimes in with "we still have a draft", well that just proves my point even more because relying on a bunch of rookies to take you to the top, it never happens.... teams that are not good HAVE to rely on a rookie class, and thats just way too much pressure on players who've never played in the league all at once --- it always fails)
Well if you're going to refer to the CFL, just look at the Als as one of the best teams the past decade. They've relied just as much on possesion receivers as they did with speed guys, maybe even more. Guys like Cahoun, Richardson, Green arent fast by any means, even related to CFL standards. Cahoun would make the catch and fall but it was still a key catch for a TD or 3rd down. Richardson is SLOW but still a top5 CFL WR, Green is not fast by any means and drops a ton of balls but will make the highlight reel catch and win you the game.

I get what you're saying, but to act like speed alone makes a great receiver is proven to be false. There's alot more that goes into playing the position and if you dont get that, then maybe you should re-assess your football knowledge, or at least not make comparisons when you have no idea what you're talking about...

If anything your post just reiterates my opinion. If Mike is going to be considered the #1 then Hartline is not that ideal #2! Who the hell is going to do something with the ball AFTER the catch? Wallace really isn't that kinda guy and we all know Hartline couldn't break a tackle to save his life. Someone with the size, strength, speed, elusiveness of say a Patterson is the perfect piece to move into that position.

Which looks better?

1) Wallace, Hartline
2) Wallace, Patterson

No brainer to me...

Wallace, Hartline definitely look better. Patterson will have a hard time deciphering coverages, and if our offensive scheme is as complicated as advertised, he'll be lucky if he starts a game all season. There is a reason he went to 3 colleges in 3 years.

Don't fall for that he's "dumb" as a bag of bricks crap! Nonsense the guy is going to be something at the next level and remember what YOU said about his ability.

Wallace, Hartline definitely look better. Patterson will have a hard time deciphering coverages, and if our offensive scheme is as complicated as advertised, he'll be lucky if he starts a game all season. There is a reason he went to 3 colleges in 3 years.

imagine how a guy like Tyler Eifert could work the seam with Wallace taking the Safeties for a ride!!

And with those 2 on the field...play action would be murderous

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Don't fall for that he's "dumb" as a bag of bricks crap! Nonsense the guy is going to be something at the next level and remember what YOU said about his ability.

What do you mean "don't fall for it". Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary if you like, but by watching his interviews, looking at his track record, and reading draftniks opinions on him, by ALL ACCOUNTS, the guy is not too bright. Pass.

I just wish we get another receiving threat besides Wallace.IMO, Hartline to less of a degree and Bess aren't legitimate threats.

Miami runs a version of the WCO, not the Steeler run/deep play action offense.

Once Wallace draws off a safety, Miami needs a series of Wes Welkers winning mismatches underneath. That is what Hartline, Gibson and Bess will do.

If Miami wants to send two deep, Hartline showed he can get a step on many #1 CBs and will be facing the #2 or #3 CB with Wallace on the field.

We seem to give up on alot of players too early and then keep many too long lol. Ginn was a bust and a half as a 1st round pick but still you take a guy that high and he is raw. He is definately better than having Marlon Moore as your third receiver and he can return

I've been saying the same thing since the day we traded him...

To prove both of our points he has stuck with the 49'ers for many years now. They obviously like him as a returner and 4'th/5'th receiver...

I've been saying the same thing since the day we traded him...

To prove both of our points he has stuck with the 49'ers for many years now. They obviously like him as a returner and 4'th/5'th receiver...

I believe Teddy is a Panther now.

He really is what this offense has been missing for YEARS, decades even, since Duper. The guy makes you play at least one, maybe 2 safteys deep, there will be so much room for our outstanding possession recievers to work, not to mention the run game benefiting because defenses can't stack the box.

I'm a homer, but even without rose colored lenses this offense looks like it could be one of the most dynamic in the league next year. As long as Tanny can keep developing, we will be a bonafide contender next year...book it

Hartline is still a 3 at best. That's why I'm fully confident that given a fair shot (not looking at contract numbers to determine the better player), Matthews will beat him this offseason and we can move Hartline to the Nelson role at the slot.

Hartline is suddenly a slot receiver?

i dont know about the rest of you, but i just watched the indy game, and i can say with complete confidence that mike wallace and dustin keller puts us over the hump no problem. Because once you have used up your plays to clay, bush, fasano,ect., you just have so much more to work with.

btw, jake was terrible....we gotta fix this oline.

Based on the stats I have on Tannehill, the seam is exactly where he is best. He is actually better at mid-range passes in the middle than he is at short passes in the middle...go figure. Getting him a true seam threat would be huge. Keller isn't it IMO...

keller is definitely a seam threat all day. we need another TE who can do everything and block. ----->tyler eifert. its also why we are looking at kelcie.cus he can block

I just wish we get another receiving threat besides Wallace.IMO, Hartline to less of a degree and Bess aren't legitimate threats.

I totally disagree. Hartline plays very well and has improved every year. And Bess owns the slot. Remember that Hartline will now be going against every team's 2nd best corner instead of their best. He could well and maybe should have a even better season this year. And we used Davone Bess as our number two outside WR last season.

Check out the stats in this other thread here:

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?336708-Phins-Going-Deep-Interesting-Stats

The weapons are here for Tanahill, we will go as far as he can take us. I'm very happy over having Wallace, Hartline, Bess and Gibson over the two WRs we have last season.

hartlines best route seemed to be betwee the 12-17 yard comeback, tanne wasnt always money on it but hartline still seemed to come up with most of the catches even if it meant having to hit the ground dive, or stretch out of bounds. which lead to his no YAC. when teams started sitting on it thats why tanne would attempt to go deep to loosen that coverage up. it wasnt a strong suit last year but you had to keep the CB honest. i havent watched enough wallace highlights to know if he has that sort of route running reptoire but he could be dangerous in that type of situation. the CB;s will have to play off to respect his speed. so with a safety having to come over to keep an eye on wallace, and keller having to respected in the seem, i say that opens things up for both hartline and bess to get looser coverage. i think the combo of the two will be really good for the dolphins. wallace i think will be unbrandon like and have to have the ball thrown at him every play. opposing d's could double and triple cover because they knew we had to feed him so he wouldnt pout and quit on the team. i think wallace is just gonna be happy hes a rich man and just go and play. but yeah i see both wallace and hartline getting over 1k this year. i think with harts improvement over the years and wallace drawing the #1 CB hart is gonna have a hardon lining up against the #2 cb and getting everything inside. if wallace gets 10tds + this season, i can handle hartline get 66 yards a game on 4 comebacks that move the chain. not to mention with gibsons aquisition he can play outside and run those same comebacks as hartline, i see hartline getting to line up in the slot some too and get to line up against the teams NB or S. unless bess is gone in a draft day trade i dont see us getting another wr. we get kellers 2014 replacement this year, we get bess 2014 replacement next year and get more speed at the spot. but with the additions of wallce, keller, and gibson. this is tanne's shot to show whether he can lead or not. he has a #1 in wallace and 3 #2-#3's in hartline, bess, gibson. we wont have a scrub lining up on the outside this year and bess can do his work under the middle where hes best instead of having to line up wide, and wallace and gibson can interchange inside out. salavating as well as tanne should be

Back
Top Bottom