How much of a loss is Wilkins, really? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much of a loss is Wilkins, really?

How much of a loss is Wilkens, really?

• Huge loss - no question about it.

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • A loss, but not insurmountable.

Votes: 61 42.7%
  • Paying him would have crippled the team - addition through subtraction.

Votes: 57 39.9%
  • Wilkens is a bit overrated - think Suh... top $$$ for very little return.

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
i dont think i can remember any DT FA signing that lived up to the big money contract. He was a good player and good teammate but hes never made any allpro teams. I think we will be fine.

It’s not. Suh is a borderline HoF. Probably won’t get there but he’s in the conversation while nobody will remember Wilkins in 20 years. Suh was still an elite talent here putting up more qb pressures and hits in 3 years than Wilkins did in 5. Not to mention the DT position has changed since we had Suh. Donald opened up the league to elite DT money being more pass rush oriented while Suh was a run stuffing monster that would put pressure on the qb constantly but may not get home but was still good for 5/6 sacks a year. With that said unless your DT is a 10to 15 sack a year guy he won’t change your defense. Wilkins isn’t that either, he had 6.5 of his 9.5 sacks vs bottom 5 olines in jets/pats and panthers.
If you look at Suh’s career stats and Wilkins they are very similar. Suh had two big sac years, one that was 10 sacks and another that was 8. Wilkins just had a 9
SĂ€rk season. Hes ben pretty durable thus far, so ID Expect him to have a a career that is comparable to Suh’s in terms of length and Sacks and qb pressures and such.

My point in comparing the similarities in the two, is that it is a poor ROI for the amount of money that was invested in those types of players at that position in big money deals. When Suh played for us, he commanded a huge amount of salary cap % compared to game changing impact plays we got from him while with the dolphins and that money could’ve delivered a better return invested elsewhere in more impactful positions such as in the offense in explosive players that score touchdowns, or if on the defense at the edge position where an equivalent level of talent and money will consistently deliver way more sacks and disruptive plays than we got from either of those players.

That was my point, what did we get from our return on that investment in Suh? The answer is **** all, thus the comparison.

Last edited:
I will first say that the goal is always to keep your own guys if they are good players. CW was a team guy, until of course he sat out TC wanting more $$$, that was also a team leader. On paper his production was good last year until you see who that production was against—the Jets, the Pats and other weak teams. He disappeared vs good teams like the Bills and the Ravens which begs the question is he really deserving of elite $$$? I say NO. I think we played it right for a position that is not typically a big $$$ position unless you’re truly elite like Chris Jones or Aaron Donald. CW is no where near the level of those guys. Grier went out and signed 8 very good players whose combined cap hit was about what CW got from the Raiders. Smart move IMO.

Back
Top Bottom