How safe is Jason Sanders? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How safe is Jason Sanders?

Exactly. You always have to kick the tires on someone and have competition. To ignore it is wrong.

If your remove the 4 kickers who had barely any attempts, Sanders was the 18th ranked kicker in a bounce back season for him.

I thing if they get a shot to upgrade the leg and save some decent money in the process, via the draft, it will be strongly considered.

What are the odds they pull a more valuable player in the late 6th round?

Sanders is slated to be the leagues 12th highest paid kicker this year while still being below average. Doesn’t seem like great a business decision.
He really finished the year strong and for they reason I think he’s safe.

Still, Sanders is a bottom 3rd kicker.
Agreed and I’d been very critical / wanting to move on but he was great toward rhe end of the year. Didn’t he make his last 4-5 50+ attempts including the 57 yarder? I think the way he finished the year will be a factor. He’s always had a big leg. Accuracy not so much (at long distance)

I ask because there are two pretty good kickers coming out this year that we might be able to snag in the 6th or 7th round in Stanford’s Joshua Karty and Arkansas’s Cam Little.

Sanders had a decent season, bouncing back from two of his worst seasons in 2021 and 2022. He’s due a $3.775M salary this year and looks like we could save about $2.4M with a release and $3.1M with a post June 1st designation. Pretty decent savings for the leagues 22nd ranked kicker last year.

Karty was a perfect 18-18 in 2022 including a 61 yarder and posted a near identical 85.2% to that of Sanders 85.7%. Karty did miss an easy 32 yarder in the Senior Bowl but you can probably chalk that up to not having been used to the holder as he was 44-46 on kicks under 40 yards in his career. Karty is a perfect 72-72 on XPs and Sanders is 233-240 in his career.

Sanders season highlights include a game winner against Dallas and a new career long of 57 yards.

Is it time to replace Sanders? I think so. However, if he’s back I won’t be too upset but it’s hard to ignore that he’s a bottom third kicker. Should he be making more than Raheem Mostert?

I’d take a shot on Karty at 198. We haven’t had much luck with those late round picks so he’d give us chance to get a guy who will stick. We’re going to need that money, not just this year but also next year when his salary isn $4.025M. May not sound like much in the context of where the cap is but compared to a guy making near minimum, it’s still substantial.

Just my random thought for tonight.
Ghost.. it’s been said by Dolphins brass the retention the average Jake Bailey was to give Sanders continuity with his holder. Crossman requested it. Sanders actually had a very good year making consecutive pressure kicks over 50 yards.

I would have zero issue drafting Little or Karty if they are available in the 6th or 7th round. Sanders ended the year strong, but he had been a borderline liability since his All-Pro season. He is making a lot of money for a kicker. You could pay either of them the same amount of money he makes in a season over a 4 year contract as late round picks.

Realistically speaking, 6th and 7th round picks rarely make the 53 man roster. It wouldn’t hurt to take a flyer on a kicker.

That and the whole continuity comment from the staff, sorry but you can’t keep the punter cause of the way he holds when he is deficient at his primary job.

Punt game and field position become important when playing good teams.

I mean they did though so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ghost.. it’s been said by Dolphins brass the retention the average Jake Bailey was to give Sanders continuity with his holder. Crossman requested it. Sanders actually had a very good year making consecutive pressure kicks over 50 yards.
ridiculous, are we the only team that has to keep the holder/kicker/coach intact to dwell at the bottom of the special team's stats? Grier/McD certainly makes some curious moves specifically ignoring ST's and oline value. We'll probably draft a project in the first round and he'll "learn" as time goes on ala Cam, Tindall, EZ etc.

Tied for 9th in FG% made (86%), missing 4 while 3rd in XP% made (98.3%) missing 1.

Other than pay, sounds safe to me.

Hopefully those two sub par years are behind him.

Edit: 8th in points @ 130.

I ask because there are two pretty good kickers coming out this year that we might be able to snag in the 6th or 7th round in Stanford’s Joshua Karty and Arkansas’s Cam Little.

Sanders had a decent season, bouncing back from two of his worst seasons in 2021 and 2022. He’s due a $3.775M salary this year and looks like we could save about $2.4M with a release and $3.1M with a post June 1st designation. Pretty decent savings for the leagues 22nd ranked kicker last year.

Karty was a perfect 18-18 in 2022 including a 61 yarder and posted a near identical 85.2% to that of Sanders 85.7%. Karty did miss an easy 32 yarder in the Senior Bowl but you can probably chalk that up to not having been used to the holder as he was 44-46 on kicks under 40 yards in his career. Karty is a perfect 72-72 on XPs and Sanders is 233-240 in his career.

Sanders season highlights include a game winner against Dallas and a new career long of 57 yards.

Is it time to replace Sanders? I think so. However, if he’s back I won’t be too upset but it’s hard to ignore that he’s a bottom third kicker. Should he be making more than Raheem Mostert?

I’d take a shot on Karty at 198. We haven’t had much luck with those late round picks so he’d give us chance to get a guy who will stick. We’re going to need that money, not just this year but also next year when his salary isn $4.025M. May not sound like much in the context of where the cap is but compared to a guy making near minimum, it’s still substantial.

Just my random thought for tonight.

Before his 5 fg game against cowboys I say he would have been released. But not after that game he won it with his foot. The punter is who we need to dump

Safest player on the team. They signed a shitty punter because sanders likes him as a holder.
Did you read that or are you assuming that? If Sanders' holder preference played a part they should have kept Matt Haack after the 2020 season. He held for Sanders' career year.

18th out of 33 does not place him in the bottom third for FG%. Being 7th in TB% is rather important too. He was 10th in XP% and those are no longer automatic.

Well he was ranked 22nd overall but that was because 4 kickers ahead of him only had 7 combined attempts.

When you look at the last 3 years, he’s definitely bottom third. His best year still saw him below average anyway you try to explain it.

Well he was ranked 22nd overall but that was because 4 kickers ahead of him only had 7 combined attempts.

When you look at the last 3 years, he’s definitely bottom third. His best year still saw him below average anyway you try to explain it.
2020 was his best season. How could you say it was below average in any way?

Back
Top Bottom