How safe is Jason Sanders? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How safe is Jason Sanders?

2020 was his best season. How could you say it was below average in any way?

Because it was 4 years ago.

It doesn’t hold much weight now when the last 3 years haven’t been good.

His best year in the last 3 was still below average yet he’s the 12th highest paid kicker on team that desperately needs cap space moving forward.

If I can replace him with a guy who has a stronger leg and would make near minimum the next 3 years while yielding the same results, if not better, it’s a no brainer.

That’s why.

Can you think of a better use of the 198th pick in the draft that saving $2.5M on the cap?

18th out of 33 does not place him in the bottom third for FG%. Being 7th in TB% is rather important too. He was 10th in XP% and those are no longer automatic.
Was thinking the same thing.....looking at his stats.

No problem bringing in some competition to press him, but he is pretty safe

Because it was 4 years ago.

It doesn’t hold much weight now when the last 3 years haven’t been good.

His best year in the last 3 was still below average yet he’s the 12th highest paid kicker on team that desperately needs cap space moving forward.

If I can replace him with a guy who has a stronger leg and would make near minimum the next 3 years while yielding the same results, if not better, it’s a no brainer.

That’s why.

Can you think of a better use of the 198th pick in the draft that saving $2.5M on the cap?
If we aren't looking at 2020, 2021 is only one year closer. 2023 was good. So either look at just the most recent season or his entire career rather than arbitrarily chop off the years that don't support your idea. I think continuity at kicker is a good thing, especially when Sanders improved late in the season when it was most critical. Any kicker you may draft is as likely to end up being worse as he is being better. So all your 'ifs' are far from sure things. As for a stronger leg, Sanders' leg strength has never really been in doubt. His main issue in 2021 and 22 was he suddenly became inaccurate at 50+. But in 2023 he got that accuracy back again.

If we aren't looking at 2020, 2021 is only one year closer. 2023 was good. So either look at just the most recent season or his entire career rather than arbitrarily chop off the years that don't support your idea. I think continuity at kicker is a good thing, especially when Sanders improved late in the season when it was most critical. Any kicker you may draft is as likely to end up being worse as he is being better. So all your 'ifs' are far from sure things. As for a stronger leg, Sanders' leg strength has never really been in doubt. His main issue in 2021 and 22 was he suddenly became inaccurate at 50+. But in 2023 he got that accuracy back again.

Good to know you’d pay for below average. Sounds like a winning formula.

Good to know you’d pay for below average. Sounds like a winning formula.
As for the winning formula, it was not Sanders doing that the team did not win the AFC East and get home field in the wild-card round. How many losses can you pin on Sanders missing a key FG?

Sanders isn't below average. Not when looking at the complete picture. Maybe paid a little too much. I have not compared all the veteran kicker salaries. If anything they should approach him about reworking his contract.

Take a look at how drafted kickers turn out. Even the safest bets seem to often flame out fast in the pros. I wouldn't waste the pick.

Did you read that or are you assuming that? If Sanders' holder preference played a part they should have kept Matt Haack after the 2020 season. He held for Sanders' career year.

Been mentioned by crossman qbs one of the best writers reported it was part of the reason

ridiculous, are we the only team that has to keep the holder/kicker/coach intact to dwell at the bottom of the special team's stats? Grier/McD certainly makes some curious moves specifically ignoring ST's and oline value. We'll probably draft a project in the first round and he'll "learn" as time goes on ala Cam, Tindall, EZ etc.
Bailey may be average, but I don’t believe he actually cost the Dolphins any games. ST coverage did. Based on the 2 similar columns, it was Crossman’s request.

The Cowboys game earned him another year imo

This

That was as clutch as it gets

Before last season I wanted a replacement but what more can you ask of a kicker than to win games for you

We kept the ST coach and extended the Punter.

I’m already 0-2 trying to figure out what we’re doing in this phase of the game and have no better idea about the Kicker.

Take a look at how drafted kickers turn out. Even the safest bets seem to often flame out fast in the pros. I wouldn't waste the pick.
College kickers often have lousy mechanics and alignment. The coaching simply isn't specialized or very good. That's why statistics and all star teams aren't always reliable. The best prospects can be down the ladder and simply in need of someone who can straighten them out.

Jason Sanders had very good mechanics and tempo and initial height as soon as we drafted him. I emphasized it immediately. He looked better than the Ravens guy that year. Then somewhere along the line Sanders began standing too far right at address. It screwed up everything. Two-way miss, which is typical upon that type of alignment flaw.

Good luck getting the mainstream networks to mention this. They'll never do it, just like there's no such thing as a team being in a favorable situational spot one week and a poor one the next.

Sanders partially fixed his alignment in 2022. He was typically in the correct spot. But when he did err it was back to the prior bugaboo of standing slightly too far right. That's normal. Everyone has their typical miss. When you get lazy or overconfident the old bad habits resurface.

I don't know what happened in 2023. Maybe it was the holder and a fresh set of eyes. Sanders was back to his old alignment and it didn't vary all year. He regained the slight draw.

The only problem is that fans expect you to make every kick. There are going to be occasional errors or unforeseen circumstances, like the Patriots sending the far flanked guy extremely early and sure to be visible by the kicker. If that's still legal I'm sure we'll see more of it.

I wouldn't get rid of Sanders, not unless you were extra darn sure the replacement has ideal alignment, mechanics and nerves.

When did you start being like this to people who simply disagreed with you?

Arguing against basic math is pretty foolish. Making the case for a guy who's below average seems silly to me. Emotional attachment to a kicker seems even sillier. His results make it clear who he is, can't comprehend ignoring that because I am hoping he gets back to that level of play that lasted all of one season, 4 years ago.

We wouldn't pay that money to a FA kicker, if we needed one, so keeping him makes just as little sense, assuming we can draft a replacement. Which is why I'd wait until the draft to make that decision.

Now if nobody is available to us, its a different story. This team needs cap space, not a below average kicker.

Last edited:
Jason Sanders kicked very well last season. Anyone suggesting that he is not safe is just promoting controversy.

Back
Top Bottom