How upset would you be if we drafted o line with first 2 picks?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by allsilverdreams, Feb 4, 2018.

1. allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

I for one would welcome the idea to finally put the o line together that we so desperately need.
    Im tired of watching our qb run for his life.Also I'm tired of watching him throw it away or take a sack.
    I would also like to see someone replace Pouncey in FA after he gets cut.To much cash for to little production.

2. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

It all depends on if they will take 2-3 years to develop. If they are drafted that high, they must come in and dominate which is highly unlikely.

fins1 likes this.
  3. PhishyPhishy

PhishyPhishy Well-Known Member

Go for it if that is how your board falls. But don't actively try for that.

HeyHoLet'sGo and josephreese like this.
  4. hoops

hoops exited stage left Hammered

Probably only gonna see Hernandez there at 43. Guard only left guard fit solid player but probably doesn’t fit the scheme. Short area lateral quickness looks less than ideal for pass pro in a lateral scheme

Isiah Wynn has some pinch tackle versatility that barring a bad medical post labrum surgery outlook should mean he’s gone come pick 43. No one helped themselves more than that kid senior bowl week

I will pass on Orlando brown at 11. Massive dude plays very upright stands out on tape how erect he is. Gets away with it cause he has good feet for his size and massive length and is a pretty good athlete too for his size.

Can overset in pass pro and grab when guys get outside the framework of his body. Doesn’t always bring his feet.

Don’t think price will be there either if he’s a legit 6 foot 4 and 320 and has pivot guard versatility. At that size they both should be on the table provided the arm length is solid.

Of all of em id say Hernandez makes it he has no position versatility

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  5. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I wouldn't be upset, but let's understand something we had better have a backup plan to fill all the holes on this team if we go that route.

6. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

We won’t.

7. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Not upset....but I feel our best play is build the defense first....I think we overlook defensive play makers if we go down that road....but if we do continue to build the offense with a potentially quality TE and a second RB....Build ONE side of the ball, GET IT RIGHT...go from there....we need a dominate side of the ball to be relevant...

IMO

8. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Billy Price in the second would make me quite happy.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  9. hoops

It depends on how they feel about Jake brendel as to how they should go about a o line add.

I happen to think they value him as a potential starting option so pivot versatility to me isn’t as big a deal in an add. Develop more core strength in the offseason program and I see starter material.

With or without pouncey

Guard only types usually will last longer too on tbe draft boards. Of course if they fail there there is no fall back

10. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

Honestly I would be pissed.

The top two picks need to be Defensive talent. We can get two guards in the middle end of the draft to fill in the gaps on the OL. Now if we dropkick Pouncey to the curb then I would not get upset with a center in the second.

11. jlfin

jlfin old pro

And when it’s time to exercise the 5th yr option how much of the cap are you going to pour in to the Oline.
    Having 1-2 superstars on the Oline doesn’t help if there are 1-2 weak links.
    I’d rather have 5 solid guys making reasonable salaries than 1-2 guys making >10 million per year.
    If Tunsil develops in to an elite LT how are they going to pay a top G or Center.
    I would prefer spending a 2nd and 3rd on Oline and drafting an impact player at 11 (Pass rusher, DB or QB)

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

The line isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, certainly not to the point of investing an entire draft into it.

And before the tired "you want our QB to get killed" line, we had the 11th best pass blocking despite a statue QB.

Fix the defense.

SaskFinFan likes this.
  13. sleek

sleek $$UNDERDOG$$

Investing in the line would be my #1 priority. Great place to lock up big money. Great line will make all the other positions better.

14. hoops

I think they may add a moderately priced left guard in free agency if they cut Larsen. Which I’m not sure they are gonna do given how cheap he is

Maybe they resign Ja’Wuan James to a cap friendly number. That’s about as far as I think it’s gonna go

Then they rely on scheme in the run game and qb execution to drive the offense and limit pass pro exposure with play calling

All of which I find reasonable

15. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

I think they will draft a QB in the top two rounds.

I would not be too excited if they went another season completely banking on a QB that has now been out two seasons with knee issues.

Gase needs to step up and draft HIS qb, then I'd l;ove to see him wrestle t-bomb out of that office and take control of the franchise.

16. dahlmarino

dahlmarino Hating The Jets With A Passion Since '84

Depends on the players and the results. I just want to watch us win some ****ing games and look like we belong in the NFL.

MiamiMuss and Ikema like this.
  17. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

If we drafted Quenton Nelson at #11 and OT Kolton Miller in the 2nd round I'd have no problem with that.

18. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I would love to see the team get a defensive standout with one of their first two picks.

But, if they solved the offensive line puzzle that's been haunting the team for 10 plus years that wouldn't be too bad. Nelson in the 1st and Price in the 2nd would be pretty nice and go along way towards improving the team.

19. Stills&Landry

Stills&Landry A True Fan

I wouldn't mind it in the second and third if the right players were available. Or the first if we trade down. If we pick a G at #11 I'd hate it.

20. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

If the draft played out like Quenton Nelson at 11 and Jamarco Jones, Chukwuma Okorafor, or James Daniels at 42, I'd be cool with it. It wouldn't be my preferred route, and I don't think the team would seriously consider it, but you could do far worse. Miami did in 2017.

21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

You should ultimately only be upset if you're convinced they didn't get good players.

Would it be the most ideal allocation of resources? IMO, no.

You would be banking on Ryan Tannehill and Adam Gase, with the weapons that exist on offense, being able to carry the team. Throwing so many resources at the OL would be making sure that there aren't the type of issues on the OL that would sabotage the Tannehill/Gase/skill players combination from making their mark.

It would leave you needing to make some free agent acquisitions on defense, though.

jlfin likes this.
  22. JRYCRL

JRYCRL Well-Known Member

Trade back time and again...
    Can turn the 12th pick into an extra 2nd or third then trade back again. Need 4 starters in this draft at least.

mwestberry likes this.
  23. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

If we're talking Richmond Webb & Keith Sims then no I wouldn't be upset.

24. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

If we do this offense better be damn awesome.

i am hoping James is the pick in the 1st

25. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

I am down with back to back OL.

Heck I am ok with our first 4 picks being 2 OL and 2 TE's.

26. phish

phish Well-Known Member

This may sound a bit odd but I’d be happy about drafting Nelson in the 1st and Price in the 2nd this way we can once and for all shore up our o-line. But I’d be upset at the idea of taking just Nelson in the 1st and not another o-lineman in the second. It’s either we once and for all fix the o-line or use the pick to strengthen another area. Once Dallas made their o-line the best their team changed. I’d rather have a dominant unit like either line or the secondary as that seems to change a team. Example would be Dallas o-line, Seattle secondary, or philly d-line

27. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

First off, it's certainly not odd to want that because that is the shortest path to fielded a great team.

The second part doesn't make as much sense. I get wanting two OL, I am the leader of that bandwagon but I'll also sign up right now for Nelson and an impact defense player in the 2nd round.

As an Ohio State fan, I wanted McMillian in the second round last year. Price is the offensive equivalent of Raekwon.

I fear there is a good chance we miss out on both.

Nelson and Price would be a devastating combo to add to our team. Leadership and talent is needed on offense. OL make the best leaders. Might also be a good way to get the most out of Laremy Tunsil, who despite his year 2 struggles unquestionably has all the skills you want from a LT.

We don't know exactly what the plan is for the OL as it pertains to potentially releasing Pouncey or where Jesse Davis will end up.

These two players would fit under any scenario.

For a team that struggled on offense in 2017 as much as we did, we don't have many positions we can upgrade outside of interior OL and TE that can make an immediate difference.

28. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

If it's the right two, I'm all in.

29. Gonzo

Jonathan Martin was a "starter." Colombo was a "starter." Whoever we had lined up as LBs this year were "starters."

I'll stick with getting the most talent.

30. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I would. We need players that can run block.

31. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

I would be disappointed if we go O-line at 11 & 43. Here are some thoughts:

If we draft OL at 11 & 43 it would mean that we allocated minimal or no FA assets to OL. This would prove a mistake for following reasons-
    I like the FA Guard and Center market. Guys like Jensen Pugh Norwell Fulton are appealing.
    If you fail to sign any OL help you are hamstringing your approach to the draft.
    Appears to be stronger OL FA pool in contrast to the Def FA talent this off season.
    If you go OL 11/43, you probably are bypassing BPA especially at 11.

32. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

I would be pissed because I don't care what anyone says, no guard is going to make us that much better. We have tried drafting a guard and OT for years and here we are. Just spend the money on a guard in free agency for Christ sake and draft a difference maker at a skilled position in the first. There will always be a solid guard in free agency to be had, but luke kuehely' s don't ever become free agents. And a playmaker like that, would be more of an impact than even a steve Hutchinson guard.

phish likes this.
  33. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

and that #11 stat only takes into consideration sacks
    does not take QB hits or QB hurries into consideration

Should be we were 11th in SACKS allowed and that's a far cry from
    saying we were 11th in pass blocking

34. Gonzo

Eagles had more QB hits too. I'm sure you'll find a stat to justify the claim if you keep digging though. Fact is, the Eagles pass protection wasn't better and even if you can find something to show that it was (stats out there to fit any view, really), it would only be marginally. Certainly not enough to support the constant doom and gloom about it and MOST certainly not enough to justify blowing the top picks YET AGAIN on the o-line.

If you want to use the Eagles as a barometer for anything, use them to justify fixing the godawful defense.

35. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Not sure why your bringing up the Eagles offensive line since I never mentioned them
    I just mentioned you cant say we had the 11th best pass blocking offensive line when you
    limited to sacks allowed with no mention of QB hits or hurries. QB pressures are more than just sacks allowed

36. Gonzo

Good point, got it confused with another thread where I had to point out that the pass blocking isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be, where the Eagles were brought up as a goal for pass protection.

And spare me the lecture, I've seen enough of the dumb PFF articles. We were amongst the top in lowest QB hits allowed too (as I already pointed out). Like I said, I'm sure you can find some stat out there calculated by some nerd that supports literally whatever view you have. Doesn't change the fact that the pass protection was fine, particularly with the absurd amount we've already invested into it.

37. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

The line definitely improved in the 2nd half of the season, not being run by a coke-head probably helped. They also seemed better without the $9 million RT, rescinding that 5th year option on James might be a good idea, too.

38. ColoradoFin

ColoradoFin Well-Known Member

I think we need to take the BPA in round one....if most of our top need guys are off the board, then we should trade down. I would love to draft Will Hernandez in round two if he is there. He isn’t that tall but he is a bulldozer:

[​IMG] Will Hernandez, G, UTEP
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 340. Arm: 32.38. Hand: 9.75.
    Projected 40 Time: 5.25.
    Projected Round (2018): 1-2.

CedarPhin likes this.
  39. CedarPhin

CedarPhin King of the Winter Carnival Finheaven VIP

He'd be a great pick. Could definitely see him in the 2nd.

40. Oraclepz

Oraclepz Seasoned Veteran

I wouldn't be mad .. I don't care who we draft as long as they're good players