How we could draft 3 potential starters | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How we could draft 3 potential starters

VAFinsfan72

Club Member
Reaction score
I saw on overthecap.com we are now more than $50M over the salary cap. I know Grier will release some players and restructure some contracts to get under the salary cap but we still wont have much money to spend in Free Agency so we will have to hit on our draft picks.

The Dolphins currently dont have 3rd or 4th round draft picks. We have a 1st 2nd 5th a couple of 6ths and a 7th I believe. I think trading down from number 21 with the Cardinals to 27 in exchange for pick number 91 in the 3rd round would make a lot of sense. We would have to give them back one of our 6th round picks to balance out the trade.

I think these 3 players could be immediate starters for us next year.

#27. DE/OLB Bralen Trice - Washington - With Phillips and Chubb likely to miss most of next season. This is our most pressing need even if we do re-sign Van Ginkel.

#55. C Jackson Powers- Johnson - Oregeon - Since Connor Williams suffered his ACL injury late in the season he probably will miss most of next season. I think it makes more sense to draft a Center or sign another Free Agent to replace him. Eichenberg can move back to OG. If Powers-Johnson is unavailable then we could select Georgia Center Sedrick VanPran. They are both considered to be taken around this range in the draft.

#91. OG Zak Zinter - Michigan - Replacement for Robert Hunt.

We still have massive needs in the secondary. We need a legit starter opposite Ramsey. We should probably address that in Free Agency and hope Cam Smith develops since X is likely to be released and Apple and Kohou both suck. We need another starting safety to pair with Holland. Elliott is a Free Agent so maybe we can upgrade in Free Agency.

We better hope we can retain Wilkins or that will create another huge need.

Baker might be released to save cap space so we will need another LB to pair with Long.

KK doesn't suck. He is in his 2nd year and was playing a new defensive scheme and on the outside. I think he takes another positive leap next season, which is pretty great value. Cam Smith should improve also. And Bonner might surprise us.
Teams were specifically targeting KK this season by putting their number 1 WR in the slot where KK plays. He was also terrible in the playoff game where Rice torched him.

I just don’t think Bralen Trice game translates well to the nfl. I don't see him bullying nfl tackles that way he is slow and doesn't bend well.

Teams were specifically targeting KK this season by putting their number 1 WR in the slot where KK plays. He was also terrible in the playoff game where Rice torched him.
KK sucks watched all 22 he is a liability anywhere on the field great emergency backup but will cost you in big games.

I'm not saying he is a shutdown corner. But for an undrafted kid, his value is good, especially given a new scheme. We have so many needs now, it will be interesting where the priorities are.

KK doesn't suck. He is in his 2nd year and was playing a new defensive scheme and on the outside. I think he takes another positive leap next season, which is pretty great value. Cam Smith should improve also. And Bonner might surprise us.
Nah, he really does suck. He got lucky his first year that he was holding all the time and rarely got called. This season he was graded in the bottom 7 in the whole league in coverage (Eli Crapple was also there with him) and I lost count of how many times I saw Ramsey screaming at him after he blew yet another assignment.

There was a comical play in week 17 against Baltimore where Kohou, Crapple and Brandon Jones all ran into each other and let a Ravens WR just run free. I don't care how complicated the defence is meant to be, if you haven't got it by week 17 you aren't going to get it.

Cam Smith coming on is a key.

Achane was an unexpected blessing from 2023.

Chris Brooks will take the next step.

Not sure if there is any glimmer left for Channing Tindall, so I don't even consider him.

It would be nice for someone who has played sparingly, or not at all, completely overlooked, to emerge (more than one would be even better). But if I knew who that might be, I'd also be playing the lottery.

No chance Powers-Johnson is available that late in the second. He most likely a 1st round pick.

Back
Top Bottom