How we could draft 3 potential starters | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How we could draft 3 potential starters

I saw on overthecap.com we are now more than $50M over the salary cap. I know Grier will release some players and restructure some contracts to get under the salary cap but we still wont have much money to spend in Free Agency so we will have to hit on our draft picks.

The Dolphins currently dont have 3rd or 4th round draft picks. We have a 1st 2nd 5th a couple of 6ths and a 7th I believe. I think trading down from number 21 with the Cardinals to 27 in exchange for pick number 91 in the 3rd round would make a lot of sense. We would have to give them back one of our 6th round picks to balance out the trade.

I think these 3 players could be immediate starters for us next year.

#27. DE/OLB Bralen Trice - Washington - With Phillips and Chubb likely to miss most of next season. This is our most pressing need even if we do re-sign Van Ginkel.

#55. C Jackson Powers- Johnson - Oregeon - Since Connor Williams suffered his ACL injury late in the season he probably will miss most of next season. I think it makes more sense to draft a Center or sign another Free Agent to replace him. Eichenberg can move back to OG. If Powers-Johnson is unavailable then we could select Georgia Center Sedrick VanPran. They are both considered to be taken around this range in the draft.

#91. OG Zak Zinter - Michigan - Replacement for Robert Hunt.

We still have massive needs in the secondary. We need a legit starter opposite Ramsey. We should probably address that in Free Agency and hope Cam Smith develops since X is likely to be released and Apple and Kohou both suck. We need another starting safety to pair with Holland. Elliott is a Free Agent so maybe we can upgrade in Free Agency.

We better hope we can retain Wilkins or that will create another huge need.

Baker might be released to save cap space so we will need another LB to pair with Long.
the best way to draft 3 starters is to have somebody other than grier to do the drafting

Season 21 Reaction GIF by Law & Order

I agree. I absolutely love both players. But I kind of look at it this way. Jones could replace Hunt. Definitely a downgrade, but I thought Jones was decent to good in the run game at least.

But who replaces Wilkins? It would have to be a high draft pick and hope that player pans out. Wilkins is also a team leader.

Basically, losing Wilkins opens up a huge hole in the middle of the defense. I think he's harder to replace than Hunt.
Exactly thats what my thinking is too, Wilkins would be a lot harder to replace than Hunt. I dont think we need to invest that much money in an OG since its not a premium posiiton.

You are right, that was the trade proposal I saw.
I think Fields would be good for the Dolphins. Teams have figured out how to defend Hill and Waddle without having to worry about a QB who can also hurt their defense with his legs since Tua is not a threat to do that. If teams want to take the run threat away, then Fields has the arm strength to get the ball to Hill and Waddle downfield. So pick your poison.

It would also set the QB contract clock back a year since this will be Fields last year of his rookie contract and we can have him on his 5th year option in 2025. So that will help us with the salary cap.

I don’t know **** about **** when it comes to the draft but I saw that center projected to us in the 1st, so how do you figure he falls to the back half of the 2nd round?
Kinda what I was thinking too. But plenty of time between now and the draft for dudes to rise and fall

Centers are hard to project I feel like... Creed Humphrey was mocked in the late first round constantly, but then went in the 60's.

Oh my god the Eichenberg pick stings so bad knowing that still

The players drafted from 42 - to Creed.... ugh... we also traded up from 50, lost a third round pick, AND still couldve had a plethora of good players at 50.

I hate looking into the past like that because its easy now, but SO many of us wanted CH that year. the other pick we used to trade up was a 2022 3rd rounder... lets see what could've been in that draft

Centers are hard to project I feel like... Creed Humphrey was mocked in the late first round constantly, but then went in the 60's.

Oh my god the Eichenberg pick stings so bad knowing that still
That was a dumb move by Grier trading up for Eichenberg when we could have stayed put and drafted Humphrey.

Interior O-linemen usually dont get taken in the first round. Usually the top interior O-linemen start being drafted in the second round. So I think we can draft a replacement for Williams with our second round pick.

We traded pick 81 in 2022 to the NYG in the trade up, that pick became Cordale Flott .... (who the flott?)

however, a few notable players drafted after that point that I can think of looking at this list

- Nakobe Dean (83) - fell due to injury concerns, not sure how his pro career has gone so far
- Marcus Jones (85) - the patriots always have so many joneses at corner, not sure if this is a good one or not lol
- Jalen Tolbert (88) - a role player for the Cowboys I believe
- Rachaad White (91) - good but not great rb, he's okay, but we've needed RB depth for years. would've been a decent pick
- Kerby Joseph (97) - emerging into a good safety i believe
- Brian Robinson (98) - very solid RB

Not gonna keep going but yeah, wooooo hindsight

That was a dumb move by Grier trading up for Eichenberg when we could have stayed put and drafted Humphrey.

Interior O-linemen usually dont get taken in the first round. Usually the top interior O-linemen start being drafted in the second round. So I think we can draft a replacement for Williams with our second round pick.
Oh yeah I get ya for sure and do agree. Tyler Linderbaum just recently went in the (late) first

How do the top centers this year stack up compared to past years? I dont know yet, havent looking into many draft prospects yet

I agree. I absolutely love both players. But I kind of look at it this way. Jones could replace Hunt. Definitely a downgrade, but I thought Jones was decent to good in the run game at least.

But who replaces Wilkins? It would have to be a high draft pick and hope that player pans out. Wilkins is also a team leader.

Basically, losing Wilkins opens up a huge hole in the middle of the defense. I think he's harder to replace than Hunt.
Agreed. Draft a newbie or get by with Jones for now.

LG is a problem still too. Well the whole interior really lol

Matt Lee from the Canes is an excellent Center

One sack in 4 years starting at Miami and UCF and just a hand full of pressures

Probably a late second day pick

1706047309088.png

I would draft the best center w our first round pick. In fact I would go all OL with our draft.

I would draft the best center w our first round pick. In fact I would go all OL with our draft.
I dont think we need to draft a Center in the first round. We should be able to draft one of the best Centers in the draft in round 2.

We should probbaly go defense in round 1. Jared Verse if he drops to us or Terrion Arnold.

I just don’t think Bralen Trice game translates well to the nfl. I don't see him bullying nfl tackles that way he is slow and doesn't bend well.
Sounds a lot like Charles Harris. Grier will draft him

Back
Top Bottom