Howabout Addressing the Offensive Line? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howabout Addressing the Offensive Line?

I've got an idea -how about every year we draft five linemen and a QB and start them immediately? When they play really crappy, we can complain and plan to draft their replacements the following year. All other positions can be filled with pricey free agents.

Fischfan13 said:
Geez, I didn't know that Coach Saban picked ALL of those scrubs for this team!

Saban did not address the teams biggest weakness...the Offensive Line.

Carey is not going to be the future of this line...and no one else that you mentioned moved anyone around last season.
There were quality offensive lineman taken before the fifth round....but Saban wanted guys for his "new" defense instead.
Saban wanted guys who he has seen play against him...Roth and Crowder.

If you or anyone else thinks that the offensive line is fine the way that it is then you haven't been WATCHING the whole team play.

The weakest aspect on the team last season was coaching, then running back.

Fischfan13 said:
Geez, I didn't know that Coach Saban picked ALL of those scrubs for this team!

Some of the "scrubs" Spielstadt drafted have talent, they just need to be coached.

Saban did not address the teams biggest weakness...the Offensive Line.

What rookie lineman did you want that would turn this thing around? Go back and read the list of players we've drafted and signed and tell me we haven't invested enough already. Add Alabi and Stockar McDougle to the mix of players we know can play, Hadnot, St. Clair and James and we should have enough for a decent line.

Carey is not going to be the future of this line...and no one else that you mentioned moved anyone around last season.
There were quality offensive lineman taken before the fifth round....but Saban wanted guys for his "new" defense instead.
Saban wanted guys who he has seen play against him...Roth and Crowder.

Carey has talent. He needs to get his head out of his *** and get dedicated. It will happen.

Please name me one O-lineman who was better than Roth or Crowder at the spots they were picked. Go back and read KB21's posts. Here's the bottom line, we have youth on the O-line. We had far less young players on defense before Saturday. What Saban did was the right thing-fortifying his D with young players.

If you or anyone else thinks that the offensive line is fine the way that it is then you haven't been WATCHING the whole team play.

Nobody thinks they were fine. It was unrealistic to think that 5 new players playing under a horrible line coach and a pitiful head coach would play well last year.

Last time I checked, we have a good head coach and a great line coach who has performed well every place he's been.

Six Bullets

We only had six bullets , maybe we needed 10? Whatever....we only had six....I think we hit six targets ....dead on here... some we hit bulls eyes with. What more can you legitimately expect?

There is some talent on the oline , some under developed talent , isn't that what coaching is supposed to do? Help players reach their potential? And an offensive line is often greater than the sum of it's parts.... we never were insync , never on the same page.... till we are , we won't know who can play at a productive level or not.

Seems like some here are painfully mistaking quantity for quality.

Some of you believe that it is better to draft guys who will be situational players on defense (Roth) and a LB who has no where to play on this team (Crowder) and use the excuse that the 8th best defense in the NFL must get younger than take the biggest hole on the team (Offensive Line) and bring quality to it instead of using the old throw a dart with your eyes closed technique and hope that sooner or later one of these guys pan out...

There were Centers available when Roth was chosen...

There were Centers available when Crowder was chosen...

I guess these guys are only guilty of never playing in front of Saban before...so he would not draft them.

Oh wait a second, I forgot Houck will play Center...and Saban both Guard positions.
Sorry that I can't be "rah-rah" guys about this draft like some of you...it is just that I have seen too many of these drafts fall apart come football season.

Ryan1973 said:
There weren't that many offensive lineman worth taking. Plus, he needed to draft defense because its not exactly a young defense anymore. He needed to get some youth on that side of the ball.

is that right? But, we drafted what? an end, a cb, a tackle, and an ILB. so, what scheme was he drafting for? do you have a clue, I didnt. He was all over the freakin place. He was drafting for a 4-3 D, not the 3-4. SO, either, he lied to us, or he doesnt have a freakin clue. He stuck stricly to what he knew, and didnt even venture out of his little domain.

Man, I have never been let down so tremendously on a draft in all my life. This guy is in way over his head, or he is lazy. He had 3 months to get all his ducks lined up, but either chose to blow it off, or he dont have a clue. I feared that, but after listening to his thoughts for the last two months, I thought for sure he was gonna nail the draft. Buzzzzzzzzzzz..... wrong. he takes an inside the 20 runner, not the guy who gets from the 20 to 20. he takes a LB he tried to recruit to MSU, which has alot of talent, but why? Then he turns around and selects a ILB, which is all Channing can play, he is good, but is Zach departing us? He takes a CB that he KNOWS, and isnt all that special. More depth at the position, but no true starters to replace Pat. Then he takes blob man from TCU in the 5th, when he could of had Anttaj at the position he selects next in the 7th??

he address' the O early, and made the O suffer so he could draft depth at loaded positions in the middle, and takes a slob for the OL in the 5th? It sounds like bitter grapes he had to take a back at the #2 overall. And screwed the O for it????

i dont get it. Where is randy Mueller when he is needed the most... "With the #1 overall pick in 06, the Miami dolphins select randy Mueller", former GM of the saints (who soaked us on Ricky), current ESPN analyst, and now Miami Dolphins GM. I know, just a dream, but man, what a dissapointment.

I'll give Nick my support, and hope he gets his sheet together for 06. and hope he was lazy, not prepared, or just in over his head. Hope he gets his support staff fully surrounding him for the 06 draft. If its another collasal meltdown in 06, we are in big big trouble.

ol

Chris Mortenson said it best today when talking about Alabi...."If Hudson Houck likes this guy who am I to question him?

I think there's a pretty good chance that Saban and Houck know very well what they have to work with on the OL and the fact that they didn't go overboard and bring in a busload of O-Linemen tells me that they're content with what they have for now.

Fischfan13 said:
Seems like some here are painfully mistaking quantity for quality.

Yet your argument seems to be we should draft more and more O-linemen at the expense of every other position.

Some of you believe that it is better to draft guys who will be situational players on defense (Roth)

Was he situational at Iowa?

and a LB who has no where to play on this team (Crowder) and use the excuse that the 8th best defense in the NFL must get younger than take the biggest hole on the team (Offensive Line)

Again, give me names of players who were better than Roth and Crowder.

and bring quality to it instead of using the old throw a dart with your eyes closed technique and hope that sooner or later one of these guys pan out...
As opposed to the "let's draft 6 more linemen because its the most glaring need" philosophy you favor?

There were Centers available when Roth was chosen...
Chris Spencer was the only possible center with a better grade than Roth and he was long gone.

There were Centers available when Crowder was chosen...
Any of these 3rd rounder has first or second round grades like the linebacker did?

I guess these guys are only guilty of never playing in front of Saban before...so he would not draft them.

Oh wait a second, I forgot Houck will play Center...and Saban both Guard positions.
Oh, OK both guards suck. James is a total waste and Hadnot didn't play well in December. Guess we're rooting for different teams.

Sorry that I can't be "rah-rah" guys about this draft like some of you...it is just that I have seen too many of these drafts fall apart come football season

You don't seem to see any of the positive of this draft. Defensive speed and attitude added, versatility at all positions Saban drafted not to mention a running back who will make the line better.

LithoMan said:
is that right? But, we drafted what? an end, a cb, a tackle, and an ILB. so, what scheme was he drafting for? do you have a clue, I didnt. He was all over the freakin place. He was drafting for a 4-3 D, not the 3-4. SO, either, he lied to us, or he doesnt have a freakin clue. He stuck stricly to what he knew, and didnt even venture out of his little domain.

Nick Saban has always said that Miami is going to play a 4-3.

LithoMan said:

Man, I have never been let down so tremendously on a draft in all my life. This guy is in way over his head, or he is lazy. He had 3 months to get all his ducks lined up, but either chose to blow it off, or he dont have a clue. I feared that, but after listening to his thoughts for the last two months, I thought for sure he was gonna nail the draft. Buzzzzzzzzzzz..... wrong. he takes an inside the 20 runner, not the guy who gets from the 20 to 20. he takes a LB he tried to recruit to MSU, which has alot of talent, but why? Then he turns around and selects a ILB, which is all Channing can play, he is good, but is Zach departing us? He takes a CB that he KNOWS, and isnt all that special. More depth at the position, but no true starters to replace Pat. Then he takes blob man from TCU in the 5th, when he could of had Anttaj at the position he selects next in the 7th??

he address' the O early, and made the O suffer so he could draft depth at loaded positions in the middle, and takes a slob for the OL in the 5th? It sounds like bitter grapes he had to take a back at the #2 overall. And screwed the O for it????

i dont get it. Where is randy Mueller when he is needed the most... "With the #1 overall pick in 06, the Miami dolphins select randy Mueller", former GM of the saints (who soaked us on Ricky), current ESPN analyst, and now Miami Dolphins GM. I know, just a dream, but man, what a dissapointment.

I'll give Nick my support, and hope he gets his sheet together for 06. and hope he was lazy, not prepared, or just in over his head. Hope he gets his support staff fully surrounding him for the 06 draft. If its another collasal meltdown in 06, we are in big big trouble.

Perhaps you were happier with the Jamar Fletcher's and the Eddie Moore's? The draft hasn't even been over for more than 7 hours, training camp hasn't started, we haven't even played a god damned game yet! We have a great caoching staff (remember when all we had were Dallas and Chicago rejects who got brought aboard because they were the coaches friends?), and we have breathing room with the cap again.

This won't be an immidiate turn around, but I definately believe we will make some noise this year. Let's all just take it easy, quit bitching, and atleast wait for training camp. 'Kay? 'Kay :D

LithoMan said:

You don't have a clue. Maybe Saban was all over the place b/c he wants to be able to operate out of multiple defensive formations instead of the vanilla 4-3 the previous monkey favored.

Isn't sticking to what you know a good thing? In your case it might especially be.

Man, I have never been let down so tremendously on a draft in all my life. This guy is in way over his head, or he is lazy. He had 3 months to get all his ducks lined up, but either chose to blow it off, or he dont have a clue. I feared that, but after listening to his thoughts for the last two months, I thought for sure he was gonna nail the draft.

You have to post your ideal mock draft. What the hell were you expecting? 6 O-linemen????

Buzzzzzzzzzzz..... wrong. he takes an inside the 20 runner, not the guy who gets from the 20 to 20.

Who do you think Ronnie Brown is? Zach Crockett? I don't get your point here at all. What, Brown isn't capable of busting a screen play or run for 40 yards? You've got to be kidding.

he takes a LB he tried to recruit to MSU, which has alot of talent, but why?

Hybrid pass rushers. Look into them. They're kinda valuable these days.

Then he turns around and selects a ILB, which is all Channing can play, he is good, but is Zach departing us?

Zach's a 9 year vet who has missed games recently due to injuries. I don't know if you know this yet but you need 2 ILB's to run a 3-4 as well.

He takes a CB that he KNOWS, and isnt all that special. More depth at the position, but no true starters to replace Pat. Then he takes blob man from TCU in the 5th, when he could of had Anttaj at the position he selects next in the 7th??

Daniels could be a free safety, he could also be a replacement for the turd known as Reggie Howard. Either case would be great.

The blob man from TCU was endorsed by the best O-line coach in the NFL. Carries a bit more weight than your pro assessment of Alabi, don't you think?

As for Antajj, 31 teams passed on him multiple times so do the math.

You sound like you could find turds in a batch of Molson. Saban seemed really upset that he had to take Ronnie Brown. He screwed the O with that pick.

i dont get it.

No, you really don't. The draft isn't about you getting players you were emotionally attached to.

Kyle Turley will be released June 2nd...We need his attitude on the line!

Back
Top Bottom