Howabout Addressing the Offensive Line? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Howabout Addressing the Offensive Line?

gettin to be a bunch of old men on D, We are young on O and by the time the O rolls around, the D is going to be too old. better to address it now, need to have both sides of the ball in sinc in order to peak at the same time.

KB21 said:
Blah, blah, blah.

Let's see. Over the past three years, we've drafted Wade Smith, Taylor Whitley, Vernon Carey, Rex Hadnot, Anthony Alabi, and Tony Pape while signing Damion McIntosh, Jeno James, John St. Claire, Damion Cook, and Stockar McDougle. Somehow, that doesn't constitute addressing the offensive line?

Names will never hurt me and mere names will not impress me.

Big bleeping deal. Obviously you're going to bring in and sign players at a position that requires 5 people on the field at all times and several reserves on the roster. We got rid of virtually the entire line after 2003. What were we supposed to do, move a few safeties over to the OL?

By your rationale if my car breaks down I should just go out and find 10 other cars that don't work and say I gave it my best shot.

Athletic ability. Pure and simple. Until we find a string of offensive linemen with that elusive trait we'll continue to flounder up front.

Fischfan13 said:
Someone tell me that I blinked and missed part of the draft...please.

Sorry to be a pessimist but what was accomplished after the Ronnie Brown pick?

Eight ranked defense overall last season and Saban is drafting MORE defense.

An offensive line that is the absolute worst that I have ever seen on the Fins and Saban waits until the 5th round to draft ONE offensive lineman?!?!?!

I was extremely happy to see Saban sign as HC...

I have been a Saban "rah-rah" guy for the past several months, but...

After Ronnie Brown was drafted it was like Saban was playing fantasy league football and ONLY guys that he played against or who played for him were allowed to be part of his team.

It seems as if the current team will change and restructure the way it plays defense before it even goes after the problem of five clueless guys on the offensive line.

Paint me as a pessimist, but I guess next years top ten draft pick may finally get us some help on the offensive line that has been so dearly needed.

OK dude go root for the Patriots or something because you are TOTALLY CLUELESS!! Don't ***** about anything if you dont have a clue what you are talking about.....:fire:

thats the thing...if our Oline is so bad, then we can sign some free agents. Maybe that is what Saban is thinking.

Let's see, get subpar Olineman in the draft and pass on talent like Roth...that makes no sense to me. That is basicly what Wanntedt did last year in round 1.

Awsi Dooger said:
Names will never hurt me and mere names will not impress me.

By your rationale if my car breaks down I should just go out and find 10 other cars that don't work and say I gave it my best shot.
Give those 10 cars a good mechanic and you might have a shot. Tony Wise was a pitiful mechanic. You can't say that we didn't try to bring in talented and athletic linemen in the Wanny era. They invested many high picks on lineman. Not coaching them was the biggest problem.

Athletic ability. Pure and simple. Until we find a string of offensive linemen with that elusive trait we'll continue to flounder up front.

McKinney tested very well at the Combine. He had a great 40 time and drills. He can't make line calls.

Carey is big and strong. He doesn't know where he fits in, RG or RT. Now he's a LT.

Wade Smith is a former TE who moves well. He started as a rookie but lost so much confidence they pulled him last year.

Do these sound like athletic problems or confidence and mental hurdles that a former coaching staff didn't think to address?

OK dude go root for the Patriots or something because you are TOTALLY CLUELESS!! Don't ***** about anything if you dont have a clue what you are talking about.....:fire:

Another young Fins fan who is waiving his Saban banner.
Your homerism is clouding your thinking.
Let me let you in on a secret, that only 99.9% of the NFL knows, this Offensive Line is atrocious.
You can point fingers at last years coaching staff all that you want, and yes, they were awful, but the worst unit on this team that has stepped on the field has been the five guys who haven't been able to block for any of our RB's or QB's.

Sorry if the truth is being shoved under your nose, but this team is a 4 win team...you do remember that this team only won four games last season...right???
Did you actually WATCH the games?
Or were you too busy making S'mores?

McKinney tested very well at the Combine. He had a great 40 time and drills. He can't make line calls.

Carey is big and strong. He doesn't know where he fits in, RG or RT. Now he's a LT.

McKinney is a bum...plain and simple.
Carey is/was overrated.

YOu guys just don't seem to get it.
Just because these guys are "Miami Dolphins" doesn't make them the best players on the field.
Homerism is alive and well.:shakeno:

LithoMan said:
is that right? But, we drafted what? an end, a cb, a tackle, and an ILB. so, what scheme was he drafting for? do you have a clue, I didnt. He was all over the freakin place. He was drafting for a 4-3 D, not the 3-4. SO, either, he lied to us, or he doesnt have a freakin clue. He stuck stricly to what he knew, and didnt even venture out of his little domain.

Man, I have never been let down so tremendously on a draft in all my life. This guy is in way over his head, or he is lazy. He had 3 months to get all his ducks lined up, but either chose to blow it off, or he dont have a clue. I feared that, but after listening to his thoughts for the last two months, I thought for sure he was gonna nail the draft. Buzzzzzzzzzzz..... wrong. he takes an inside the 20 runner, not the guy who gets from the 20 to 20. he takes a LB he tried to recruit to MSU, which has alot of talent, but why? Then he turns around and selects a ILB, which is all Channing can play, he is good, but is Zach departing us? He takes a CB that he KNOWS, and isnt all that special. More depth at the position, but no true starters to replace Pat. Then he takes blob man from TCU in the 5th, when he could of had Anttaj at the position he selects next in the 7th??

he address' the O early, and made the O suffer so he could draft depth at loaded positions in the middle, and takes a slob for the OL in the 5th? It sounds like bitter grapes he had to take a back at the #2 overall. And screwed the O for it????

i dont get it. Where is randy Mueller when he is needed the most... "With the #1 overall pick in 06, the Miami dolphins select randy Mueller", former GM of the saints (who soaked us on Ricky), current ESPN analyst, and now Miami Dolphins GM. I know, just a dream, but man, what a dissapointment.

I'll give Nick my support, and hope he gets his sheet together for 06. and hope he was lazy, not prepared, or just in over his head. Hope he gets his support staff fully surrounding him for the 06 draft. If its another collasal meltdown in 06, we are in big big trouble.

"do you have a clue, I didnt" NO S***.
"He was drafting for a 4-3 D, not the 3-4. SO, either, he lied to us, or he doesnt have a freakin clue". Lied about what? Saban said he was going to stay with the 4-3 and use the 3-4 on occassions. You are the one who doesnt have a clue.

Fischfan13 said:
Someone tell me that I blinked and missed part of the draft...please.

Sorry to be a pessimist but what was accomplished after the Ronnie Brown pick?

Eight ranked defense overall last season and Saban is drafting MORE defense.

An offensive line that is the absolute worst that I have ever seen on the Fins and Saban waits until the 5th round to draft ONE offensive lineman?!?!?!

I was extremely happy to see Saban sign as HC...

I have been a Saban "rah-rah" guy for the past several months, but...

After Ronnie Brown was drafted it was like Saban was playing fantasy league football and ONLY guys that he played against or who played for him were allowed to be part of his team.

It seems as if the current team will change and restructure the way it plays defense before it even goes after the problem of five clueless guys on the offensive line.

Paint me as a pessimist, but I guess next years top ten draft pick may finally get us some help on the offensive line that has been so dearly needed.
wow, could have sworn we drafted one guy and picked up at least one in FA and got the best line coach out there. Maybe they know what they are doing and can see that they can work with the talent we have on board. I will trust them since they are they experts.

What did Saban do wrong with the draft? We needed a running back and he the best one/player in the draft. We needed youth on defense and he went out and got the best available. The offensive line hasn't been ignored either. He picked up free agent Mc Dougle and he drafted Alabi. There are still undrafteds that he is going to pick up too. If you put young talent with Houck, arguably the best Offensive Line Coach in the league, how can you say that the line has been ignored?

yeah we should have taken 5 more young Olineman and plugged em in right away, that would get the line working well, haha...

people dont seem to realize is a line takes time to develop as a UNIT!! throwing together 5 guys isn't the way to make an offensive line good... look at the best lines in the league, pittsburgh, denver, KC, indy... they all have had their lines together for a long time... you need consistancy on the oline to be successful, i thought you people should have learned that last season...

we hvae good young talent, now let em play, replacing good young talent with more young talent is the dumbest thing ive ever heard... that would be like the chargers drafting aaron rodgers this year when he dropped to them...

When are you guys going to learn not to feed the trolls.
It takes away their fear of humans and put's them in danger of having to be trapped and relocated or worse.

KB21 said:
Blah, blah, blah.

Let's see. Over the past three years, we've drafted Wade Smith, Taylor Whitley, Vernon Carey, Rex Hadnot, Anthony Alabi, and Tony Pape while signing Damion McIntosh, Jeno James, John St. Claire, Damion Cook, and Stockar McDougle. Somehow, that doesn't constitute addressing the offensive line?

Tony Pape BTW is tearing it up here in good ol germany, he is the anchor of an offensive line that leads the league in rushing,i saw him play twice now and he is the guy who is just mauling people at the right side, take it for whatsever its worth, but i think he could surprise, i will watch him closely this coming saturday when berlin hosts the amsterdam admirals

dolfan22 said:
What irks me , and yes it actually does , is that some people ,not all , and maybe the vocal minority at times , think this is a quick fix.

Or where everything has to be addressed right now. That can not happen and of course did not.

I am glad that Saban has taken this approach. Take value , long term value .... take players that fit what you want this team to become. Don't worry over positions right now.... before this draft we desperately need to get younger and better across the board.

Most don't understand how far behind Miami has fallen in that area compared to most teams. We paid the price for a lack of clear direction and questionable decisions and poor drafting the last several years.

No quick fix.

No magic pill.

Next year should be very very good for Left Tackles. With depth as well , if we still need one next April , the talent pool will be signifigantly better than it was this April.

We may need a center....we may not.... We have more than enough young lineman to see how a better system with a legitimate big time back and an elite OLine coach will show.

We have to see how they progress and develop . If they don't , fine that will addressed next draft.

QB is also a wait and see . We could use a vertical threat at WR , people get over the thought we were a couple players away.

This is a GREAT start. We added great talent , feistiness and upside here. All picks I would say stick. Maybe a couple on the practise squad for a year , but all can and will make contributions. Some will be big time bonafide difference makers.... this is the best draft in YEARS..... and it bears well....I believe it is an indication of using your picks very well and I think when Miami gets to start to have extra picks , we will get even more value......

Great post. :up:

Fischfan13 said:
McKinney is a bum...plain and simple.
Carey is/was overrated.

YOu guys just don't seem to get it.
Just because these guys are "Miami Dolphins" doesn't make them the best players on the field.
Homerism is alive and well.:shakeno:

You're missing the point entirely. You only see one problem and one solution and must have felt like the entire draft should be devoted to the OL. Ehhhhh, doesn't work that way.

Nobody in here thinks our linemen are the best but I'll ask you again what was your solution to fixing the problem with regard to this draft?

You've yet to name a lineman we should have taken over Roth or Crowder.

Drafting 7 OL every year isn't the solution. Belichick doesn't do it, in fact this is the first year he's invested a high pick on an OL since Matt Light.

I guess you feel that we're going into this season with the exact same product we had on the OL as was the case in August 2004.

You're wrong.

Back
Top Bottom