Huff to the Astros is Close! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huff to the Astros is Close!

Nappy Roots said:
how are you going to say you know about the Rays and then say Upton will be a 2B....he will NEVER be a 2B. there will never be even a possibility. If he cant play SS or 3B, he'll go to OF, but not with us most likely.

and Uptons main problem at SS was not reaction time, hes got incredible reaction and great range, so how would he not be able to handle "the hot corner"??
His fielding still needs work, and unless there is a trade involving one of the other OFs, I don't see him moving full time there.

You're right about one thing, Upton does tend to over-think, and panic when fielding, I heard/read/saw video about that. But for some reason I doubt he'll pan out at third, I just see tons of mistakes, mis fielded balls, etc. Not once did I say Upton didn't have a strong arm, though.

fact is, even if he's not a great 3rd baseman, i'd rather have him failing at 3rd than short. and he's not a 2nd baseman, so let's not even think about that possibility.

O-Connection said:
His fielding still needs work, and unless there is a trade involving one of the other OFs, I don't see him moving full time there.

You're right about one thing, Upton does tend to over-think, and panic when fielding, I heard/read/saw video about that. But for some reason I doubt he'll pan out at third, I just see tons of mistakes, mis fielded balls, etc. Not once did I say Upton didn't have a strong arm, though.

his fielding doesnt need to much work, every one in connection with Upton says its mostly in his head.

Nappy Roots said:
his fielding doesnt need to much work, every one in connection with Upton says its mostly in his head.
He does over-think, but if you see anyone with that many errors in that short of time, whether it's throwing, fielding, or just mental -- work still needs to be done. And from what I hear, this coming from top SS's, and just general experience and discussions with ppl who have played the opposite side of the infield. Transferring spots is difficult. I need to see more from Upton defensively to become a believer, but who knows, he could good -- I've seen stranger things.

UF Fin Kat said:
fact is, even if he's not a great 3rd baseman, i'd rather have him failing at 3rd than short. and he's not a 2nd baseman, so let's not even think about that possibility.
I put him in there in case he failed at third, and due to the crowded OF, but if he doesn't pan out at third I'm positive a move will be made -- either regarding him or another OF.

also as a griffey fan i follow the reds and the path Upton is on right now is the exact path Felipe Lopez took. Wouldnt be to surprised if Upton is our starting SS opening day next year.

Nappy Roots said:
also as a griffey fan i follow the reds and the path Upton is on right now is the exact path Felipe Lopez took. Wouldnt be to surprised if Upton is our starting SS opening day next year.
If Upton could shake off the mental woes, and learn 3B at the same time, he could become one hell of a super-utility player.

O-Connection said:
I've seen Huff play multiple times; if he stayed healthy for the last 2-3 years then there isn't a doubt in my mind he's at least a top 30 player -- including pitchers. Don't let stats fool you, Damon Hollins and Toby Hall have been the ones protecting him. Now he's going to a lineup that has Berkman, serviceable veterans in Preston Wilson and Craig Biggio, and also ROY Tavarez.

He'll be sure to get some well deserved media attention with the Astros make their playoff push.

PLEASE tell me you are joking.

If healthy Huff is a very solid player, but he's no stud. Jorge Cantu is a stud, Carl Crawford is a stud, Scott Kazmir is a stud. Not Aubrey Huff.

FaninPatsyLand said:

If healthy Huff is a very solid player, but he's no stud. Jorge Cantu is a stud, Carl Crawford is a stud, Scott Kazmir is a stud. Not Aubrey Huff.

im not sure what you mean by Stud. But Huff is a better hitter then Cantu.

And Cantu isnt fast or good with the glove.....so whats your definition of a stud?

Nappy Roots said:
im not sure what you mean by Stud. But Huff is a better hitter then Cantu.

And Cantu isnt fast or good with the glove.....so whats your definition of a stud?

He set the franchise record for RBI's as a 2nd baseman in his rookie year. How old is he? There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Cantu will be head and shoulders above the player that Huff is at this point in his career.

Cantu is still growing, just wait till he fully develops.

Production wise, I'm not sure that I'm willing to agree that Huff is a better offensive player AT this moment. The fact that Cantu is doing it at 2nd base while Huff is putting up these numbers at historical power positions like the corner infield positions and outfield, makes the disparity that much greater.

FaninPatsyLand said:
He set the franchise record for RBI's as a 2nd baseman in his rookie year. How old is he? There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Cantu will be head and shoulders above the player that Huff is at this point in his career.

Cantu is still growing, just wait till he fully develops.

i love Cantu. and IMO hes a stud. but hes 24, and at 25 Huff was a better hitter than Cantu is now. Huff is a stud to.

Huff is extremely underrated.

Nappy Roots said:
i love Cantu. and IMO hes a stud. but hes 24, and at 25 Huff was a better hitter than Cantu is now. Huff is a stud to.

Huff is extremely underrated.

I disagree. And Define the word hitter? If you are talking strictly average, then I could see an arguement because Cantu is never going to hit .330. But surely you don't mean that Huff was this prolific of a run producer at Cantu's age. If that's the case, why doesn't Huff hold the Devil Rays franchise record for RBIs in a season?

There's a reason that Jorge was voted the Devil Rays MVP last year.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Production wise, I'm not sure that I'm willing to agree that Huff is a better offensive player AT this moment. The fact that Cantu is doing it at 2nd base while Huff is putting up these numbers at historical power positions like the corner infield positions and outfield, makes the disparity that much greater.

taking position out of the discussion, Huffs bat is better hands down.

FaninPatsyLand said:

You ask if I'm joking, then go on to say Jorge Cantu is a stud? Where's the irony in that? :rolleyes2

Aubrey Huff has been limited by injuries, if healthy, in a better lineup with protection, with a team that has something to play for, you'll see him blossom into a legit all star candidate. I can't believe how one year of play changes everyone's opnions on a guy.

Oh wait, Rafeal Palmeiro.

Back
Top Bottom