Hunt to Carolina | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hunt to Carolina

Just as a reminder. Those 5th and 6th round comp picks can easily be canceled out, if Miami signs any F/A to similar deals.

They won’t be. Miami wil be mostly signing cut players that don’t count against formula

Damn, that’s INSANE money for Hunt! Even if Miami had plenty of cap room, that’s the kind of contract that gets you in trouble.

I know there’s plenty of pissed off Dolphin fans today but they need to try and remember that these players are leaving on contracts that you DO NOT want to see Miami matching- even if they could.
I look at the big picture; Miami has not had an above average o-line in a long, long, time, so not one of their o-linemen is irreplaceable. Just because Hunt was one of Miami's best o-linemen doesn't mean much because overall, the line still wasn't great with him in it. Hopefully, Armstead will be gone after this upcoming season (if he even makes it through the season). And, Williams can go too... Miami needs a real Center, not an injured wannabe with occasional bad snaps and penalties.

What I'd like to see is four new starters with only Jackson keeping his job, provided he keeps improving. With luck, Grier will admit that he sucks at building the o-line and have someone else pick those guys. Either that, or he gets rid of his list of what things to look for in an o-lineman and looks for the opposite.

Tough part will be the waiting period we will have to endure until the bags of money thrown out stops. We’ll be waiting for the guys that missed out on the mega deals. With all the extra cap money for teams ridiculous contracts are the norm. They have to spend money. Hope we can find diamonds in the rough and draft well and find a way to get extra picks. If you remember, NE did this for some time. Feverdreams was spot on.

Damn, that’s INSANE money for Hunt! Even if Miami had plenty of cap room, that’s the kind of contract that gets you in trouble.

I know there’s plenty of pissed off Dolphin fans today but they need to try and remember that these players are leaving on contracts that you DO NOT want to see Miami matching- even if they could. Don’t get me wrong, today is no fun for us, but 2 offseasons from now, you’re gonna see the Raiders and Panthers trying to find ways out of the Wilkins and Hunt contracts.

Winning in free agency always looks great at the time, but it usually comes at a heavy cost. We’ve been on both sides of this coin before.
Can't have it both ways. Some folks just hate Grier. On one side they say he can't draft for beans, but on the other how he's letting players get signed away. The value of the player is determined by what another team will pay them. With the big contracts some of them are getting, looks like Grier hit on a few picks... Just sayin' Every team has hits & misses. At least we're not the Broncos paying a cat $39M to go place for another team....

Can't have it both ways. Some folks just hate Grier. On one side they say he can't draft for beans, but on the other how he's letting players get signed away. The value of the player is determined by what another team will pay them. With the big contracts some of them are getting, looks like Grier hit on a few picks... Just sayin' Every team has hits & misses. At least we're not the Broncos paying a cat $39M to go place for another team....
Well said. Also, any fan lamenting the loss of Hunt will do well to remember that the dude was injured for the better part of last year and parlayed that into a $100 million.

Carolina is in a spot where they wanna throw around crazy money and in all reality, if Miami finds someone who can provide at least average guard play but can remain healthy, they could possibly replace Hunt for pennies on the dollar.

Still a darn silly contract . 20m per for a guard ???

I love my lineman but nope…
I might have done this... maybe, but it's a lot.

I wanted the continuity, and I was willing to overpay a bit...

But admittedly, that's more than a bit. It might look better in 2 years due to salary creep... but maybe not.

I look at the big picture; Miami has not had an above average o-line in a long, long, time, so not one of their o-linemen is irreplaceable. Just because Hunt was one of Miami's best o-linemen doesn't mean much because overall, the line still wasn't great with him in it. Hopefully, Armstead will be gone after this upcoming season (if he even makes it through the season). And, Williams can go too... Miami needs a real Center, not an injured wannabe with occasional bad snaps and penalties.

What I'd like to see is four new starters with only Jackson keeping his job, provided he keeps improving. With luck, Grier will admit that he sucks at building the o-line and have someone else pick those guys. Either that, or he gets rid of his list of what things to look for in an o-lineman and looks for the opposite.
This x1000

I have no problem tearing that whole shitty ass oline down and rebuilding it.

Sucks he is leaving, I liked him, but sometimes you just need to clean house and start fresh.

Build around Ajax and Brewer.

I might have done this... maybe, but it's a lot.

I wanted the continuity, and I was willing to overpay a bit...

But admittedly, that's more than a bit. It might look better in 2 years due to salary creep... but maybe not.
The only way that looks good is if they switch him to RT. And even then that is questionable. Holy smokes that was a lot of money. And that wasn't even Quenton Nelson.

What I'd like to see is four new starters with only Jackson keeping his job, provided he keeps improving.
Quoting myself because I looked at this and realized that I said the same thing after the 2021 season. That year Miami had the worst o-line in the League, a historically bad o-line. And this was after Grier had ten picks in the first and second rounds of the 2020 and 2021 drafts, along with their later picks and a ton of space under the cap. I said that Miami needed four new starters on the o-line for 2022, and that Hunt was the only starter worth keeping.

And now, three years later, with Hunt gone and Jackson miraculously improved, Miami again needs four new starters on the o-line. I'm not counting Armstead because he's just a part-time player, which means that you need a starting caliber player to replace him when he misses games, and he will miss games. I'm also not counting Williams who is injured, probably won't be the same, and probably wants too much money. IMO, he can take his bad snaps elsewhere. Wynn, who was also injured and missed a lot of time, may or may not be anything more than a decent back-up. The other linemen on the roster are just for depth and aren't starters.

IOW, when it comes to building a good o-line, Miami is hardly better off than they were three years ago.

Back
Top Bottom