Hunt to Test F/A | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hunt to Test F/A

Win some lose some best to take the guaranteed money rather than risk it. We offered Williams a contract and now he’s coming off an ACL tear. That’s an ACL tear in both knees now. Teams probably hesitate to give him a multi year deal now when he could have been locked up prior to the injury. It’s the nfl, no tomorrow is guaranteed.

That's true! It is a risk by not taking money in front of you.

I think variables come in to play. I put myself in their shoes and there are circumstances that might make me stay put even if it’s less money. Some may find that they can live very nicely on say 15 million a year versus 18,000 million per year without completely uprooting your life

I may have a family, wife or girlfriend in the area that may not want to move away or have me away a lot, I may be very happy and comfortable where I am at and don’t want to start New somewhere else. Some people might love moving around others might like to stay put if life is good and maybe that extra million a year at that salary isn’t worth it to them.

I mean, if we’re talking 200,000 a year versus 300,000 a year I’ll move almost anywhere but when you already have multi millions I’m not sure another few million is worth it for everybody. I think that’s what causes some players to leave some on the table Versus others who may be in it strictly for the max Money, and frankly may not have much baggage at home.

Absolutely! There's a lot of considerations for these player.

Either way happy we were able to retain AJ. I hope we'll be able to retain Williams and Hunt and upgrade and improve the depth at the OL where-ever else we can.

I understand that those are the rules they've made, but that doesn't mean that I have to think that they are logical or make sense. I see them as being "shady" business practices where GMs can use "creative accounting" to "kick the can down the road" when it comes to fiscal responsibility. IOW, a team will have no problem with "mortgaging the future" when signing an expensive Free Agent to a big contract, even though it affects the team's future ability to build and sustain a talented roster.
Tit for tat. Unguaranteed money can be fired any day of the week. Contract security for both teams and players. There's a lot of weird money in contracts and cap, but the guarantee clause should be there. Void years.... Now you're getting creative. 10 year contracts? Sure!

All things considered though, given the splash that TA was, his contract isn't "that bad" the way it is structured. Next year if he retires we are good!

Yup. He could get 15 I bet. But not in Miami. Like I said a while back, some of our guys will price themselves out of Miami. So far I was right on X and Ogbah leaving (or restructuring). I still think only Wilkins will get close to what he is asking. Not sure what Tua is asking for but he prob will too. We may start a few Rookies or FA signings on the OL this year at OG and Center.
To be fair, these numbers are projections from a website. We don't really know what Hunt is asking for.

Think it's quite reasonable for Hunt to test the market. This is likely to be the biggest value contract of his career so should look to maximize it. Unfortunately it may price him out of staying with the Dolphins. Given our cap position we couldn't justify paying top 5 money to a player who's realistically top 15-20 in his position.

He's a quality starting guard, not a pro bowler. If another team wants to pay him that kind of money then good luck to them and Hunt.

This sucks! Hunts gone. Williams also a FA and injured. No LG and our LT is gonna play 8 games.

How did we get here with the arsenal of draft capital over the years.

Back to a totally new OL.
Liam eichenberg , the fat guard out of Georgia, traded Tunsil , injuries.

I don't know how many guys have ever waited until June 1st to sign a new deal when they were UFA. If it were an extension I'd get it. Thats a pretty risky proposition to wait on a team if you're getting big offers in March.
They've already said Williams will be waiting to sign because of the injury.

I am still going to capitalize on a talent laden OL draft. My first choice is trading down to the bottom of the first and picking up a 3rd and perhaps more.
I then draft the best available Center/G (JPJ, Barton, Frazier) and then draft the best OT in the second (Amegadjie, Paul) and if Dankway (Howard U) is there in the 7th, Im taking him to.

I don't expect these guys to start day 1, but they would see playing time and it sets us up for the future.

No. That isn't how the guaranteed money clauses work in NFL contracts. Come on bro! LOL!
In relation to Armsteads contract, yes, that's exactly how his clause works.

44mm of his original contract was guaranteed. Dead money, it's gone. We restructured after that as well so we prolonged it a bit. But still gone and more.

In relation to Armsteads contract, yes, that's exactly how his clause works.

44mm of his original contract was guaranteed. Dead money, it's gone. We restructured after that as well so we prolonged it a bit. But still gone and more.
As neither you or I have read his contract, we will agree to disagree. I get your point, but I'm sure there are a few bonus claw-backs we could go after if he retired after 1 day. But we can agree that we must improve the OL and prioritize it.

As neither you or I have read his contract, we will agree to disagree. I get your point, but I'm sure there are a few bonus claw-backs we could go after if he retired after 1 day. But we can agree that we must improve the OL and prioritize it.
I've mentioned it a few times about his particular contract that he has some wonky bits moving forward this year and next that are easy/not so easy to get back and quantify. It's kind of moot at this point. I pointed out previously how him retiring could both help and hurt us cap wise this year. Next year, this is a good thing!

But guaranteed money doesn't change. It's gone day of signing, cap and to player. It's not just money off cap, it's money owed to signee, whether it's payed now, later, the reaper will cometh. There are for sure stipulations on guarantees, but retirement isn't one of them. That's the weird one that can f*ck a team if they don't know it (albeit, the player if trying to game the system still cannot play for anyone for the length of contract). This all came to light again recently with Rodgers weaponizing retirement against GB.

And yes, we absolutely can agree on OL priority!

I've mentioned it a few times about his particular contract that he has some wonky bits moving forward this year and next that are easy/not so easy to get back and quantify. It's kind of moot at this point. I pointed out previously how him retiring could both help and hurt us cap wise this year. Next year, this is a good thing!

But guaranteed money doesn't change. It's gone day of signing, cap and to player. It's not just money off cap, it's money owed to signee, whether it's payed now, later, the reaper will cometh. There are for sure stipulations on guarantees, but retirement isn't one of them. That's the weird one that can f*ck a team if they don't know it (albeit, the player if trying to game the system still cannot play for anyone for the length of contract). This all came to light again recently with Rodgers weaponizing retirement against GB.

And yes, we absolutely can agree on OL priority!
You had me at the word "cometh" ;)

Back
Top Bottom