Huock and the O-Line | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huock and the O-Line

Greatscott127 said:
LT McIntosh/Carey: Right now I give the edge to DM but I think Carey might well beat him out for the spot. Coaching will make a huge differance to Carey.
LG James : No doubt in my mind here. The whole line was hurt by scheme and Seth last season.
C Seth/ Rex Hadnot: Seth was the starter but Hadnot has much more upside. Also do not discount St Clare here. Don't bash me just yet. He has some exp at center and I go with the best 5 linemen = best chance to win.
RG Damion Cook: Right guard was a weak spot on line all last season. Hadnot played better then the rest but Cook was brought in for this spot.
RT Stockar McDougle: This was a good move. It anchors the right side allowing the best availible player for LT.
Stockar and Cook = a whole new right side of the line.(near 700 lbs of it) add in Hadnot at center (323 lbs) James at LG (310) and Carey at LT (333) and you have over 1600 lbs of oline using a much better blocking scheme in front of a real offensive system disigned to attack the d and take advantage of what they give you.
I like it.

I wouldn't bet James is a lock at LG. He didn't play lights out last year and he has the highest cap number on the offense. If he doesn't shine early he might be seen as expendable if they like the other talent they have.

FINSItalia said:
I wouldn't bet James is a lock at LG. He didn't play lights out last year and he has the highest cap number on the offense. If he doesn't shine early he might be seen as expendable if they like the other talent they have.

My point exactly! NO ONE is a lock going into camp. Under a new scheme will McKinney show what he did in college that made him the best center of that year? Will Cook be able to move well enough to play guard or tackle or will he be out the door? I think we will be surprised by not only the five who start but exactly what spots they line up in and perhaps even more surprised by who is shown the door!

ubercane said:
Thats a really good point. His last season in SD he was playing with two bad ankles wasn't he? The same story this season for us.. in any case, he corrected that right?

Think of the possibilities IF this line can hold up... I mean, you have a quick RB that can get to the outside or can provide power as well... he also can serve as a slot receiver if need be... Don't forget about two great WR's and a great TE... I mean, the biggest questions IMO is how long it takes for houdini to work some magic and of course... Feeley.. This season will answer a lot of questions for us and provide us with clearer direction (do we need to draft a QB, etc.)

Uber...i think you have it backwards...IF The OL holds up, Feeley will be a much better QB for us...Obviously, he's still unproven, but he showed some signs at the end of last year (which ironically was when the OL started playing better) that lead me to believe that his problems were OL and offensive scheme related, not necessarily with his skills or lack thereof...

you are right Larry. I think Feeley has potential... he is probably going to have more time in the pocket this season (our OLine can't possibly get worse); last season it was a track meet to the qb :shakeno: . We will see what we have in him this season.

But I think Feeley can pull it off... he doesn't have to be great, just decent. We have enough talent elsewhere to compensate IMO. Damn though, I can't wait until the season starts... ANYTHING.... (stares hesitantly at the Arena Football on T.V. ... no... so dirty..)

This whole offense rides on what Houck can do with this Oline.

LarryFinFan said:
Uber...i think you have it backwards...IF The OL holds up, Feeley will be a much better QB for us...Obviously, he's still unproven, but he showed some signs at the end of last year (which ironically was when the OL started playing better) that lead me to believe that his problems were OL and offensive scheme related, not necessarily with his skills or lack thereof...

Yes. He did alright stepping in at Philly for a few games. How could he be competent there and so bad for us? The line. Who could have played well in that situation? We let Griese go because of non Griese issues . Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Those of you who keep talking about next years' draft talk as if a couple of rookies are going to come in and dominate. That rarely happens. O-line, more than any other position requires coaching, experience and familiarity. KC and Denver have arguably the 2 best lines in the NFL, yet they aren't exactly loaded with top 10 draft picks. There are no Orlando Paces or Robert Gallerys on their rosters. In fact, most of their linemen were mid round draft picks. During Denvers 2 SB's their O-linemen were all mid round choices who were in their late 20's to early 30's.
The Dolphins have a lot of young O-linemen with significant upside. It would not surprise me in the least this year if they actually became a strength on this team.

well you are right, success is multi-faceted, but imagine if we get our hands on an Eric Winston for example, and with Houck coaching? That would be an almost assured anchor on our left side and a great first round pickup. I am a homer, and naturally I believe great things will happen with our OLine, they do have respectable talent as it stands. Still, greater things are in the horizon for our O-Line hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom