Hurricane Irma Only thread | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hurricane Irma Only thread

We all know this in a sense but it's a good reminder not to rely on projected paths and to be fully prepared while expecting the worst.

When it comes to hurricane prediction, the consensus is on the need for consensus among forecasters. No single computer model should be relied on. And no forecast remains static.

As much as the science of hurricane prediction has improved, there is a lot left to know. Predictions made four days prior to landfall still end up being an average of about 175 miles off the mark, said Masters.

Even with all the models and improvements, experts still don’t know a couple of crucial things about Irma: How will local "steering currents" fluctuate, hour by hour, to redirect the storm as it gets closer to shore? What will be the exact location, and strength, of pressure systems around the U.S. that will determine when Irma turns northward?

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Shelters currently open.

DJFwMV8UIAEpKgT.jpg

Prayers from NJ. My grandfather is 91 and he's down by Lake Worth. Luckily, my uncle is down there as well, so he will be staying by him. Be safe everyone. Check in when you can. We may not know each other personally, but we are all family here, through the good and bad.

That projection is the worst i've seen. Upper Keys and Miami get crushed along with the whole Fla east coast and Savanna. Really hope that sucker stays off the coast.
Stay safe guys.

That said, the newest update still predicts SE Florida to take a direct hit around noon on Sunday:

https://www.windy.com/?2017-09-10-18,25.942,-80.211,8

If that projection is accurate then Miami is going to get the worst of the storm. Directly to the right of the eye is the strongest part of the hurricane by far.

Living in northwest florida and going through Ivan i can definitely attest to that and feel for what's going down in south florida. Godspeed guys.

Dmac

That projection is the worst i've seen. Upper Keys and Miami get crushed along with the whole Fla east coast and Savanna. Really hope that sucker stays off the coast.
Stay safe guys.

Scary for sure. Unfortunately it's also based off the most reliable model - ECMWF. Not looking good right now. Only thing going for Florida is that we're still 3 1/2 days out from landfall so there's hope for some change.

If I'm Ross i'd have the crews taking down that new roof they put on the stadium. It doesn't stand a chance if a cat 4 hits it directly.
You can scratch playing games there for a while.
Not that that's as important as the well being of the people there just saying.

If I'm Ross i'd have the crews taking down that new roof they put on the stadium. It doesn't stand a chance if a cat 4 hits it directly.
You can scratch playing games there for a while.
Not that that's as important as the well being of the people there just saying.

They say it's supposed to hold up to a Cat 4 but I don't believe it, especially in taking a direct hit. There will be very severe damage all around if this holds up to current projections.

Where I'm from we have earthquakes, but even the biggest ones are over relatively quickly, and we can speedily move on to recovery. I can't imagine what it must be like to deal with a storm of this magnitude. Stay safe, Floridians.

View attachment 9710 sit down for a little tv before bed and look what comes up on the menu..,
View attachment 9710 sit down for a little tv before bed and look what comes up on the menu..,

Twister was on TNT when I got home. The Hurricane, The Postman, and Castaway are all currently playing on the premium channels (Flix & Cinemax). I remember Red Dawn, Alive, and every Die Hard movie being on in the days following 911 so I have my doubts it's a coincidence. (The original Red Dawn is almost never on.) Capitalizing on tragedy is the tits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom