Hyde: Finally, An Unknown Dolphin Gets His Good Reward | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: Finally, An Unknown Dolphin Gets His Good Reward

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
I do not know about you, but if you watched the Dolphins back in the 80's I would presume that you would remember Jon Giesler. He was one of the best players on team.:rolleyes:

jon-giesler-miami-dolphins-signed-8x10-photo-w_1_ce1fb9832f7f29590391b617fc282eb3.jpg

You probably don’t know about Jon Giesler’s greatness with the Dolphins. And that’s fine. Fine? It’s the perfect introduction for what happened on Tuesday, actually.
Because on Tuesday the Dolphins announced that this former star shielded by his position in his era and his quiet personality in public was selected to be honored in the team’s Walk of Fame.
“He was the greatest left tackle the Dolphins had — no offense to Richmond Webb,’’ said Nat Moore, the team’s executive vice president. “And tough? They didn’t come tougher.”
“I walked into the training room before one game to get a shot to play, and saw what they were doing to Jon — sucking stuff out of his knee — and said, ‘I’m good, I can run just fine,’ ‘’ Duper said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-giesler-dolphins-20180710-story.html#

I'll be honest and say I don't recall him. The best complement for an offensive lineman is never hearing his name called.

I remember him and he was mediocre. Nat Moore's statement is a joke. He was an undersized tackle who was decent at everything but not above average at anything. Miami's best linemen were always centers and guards in the 60s, 70s, and 80s until Webb arrived. Who's next on the Walk of Fame, his bookend mate Eric Laakso?

I don't know this player, but congrats to him.

I remember him and he was mediocre. Nat Moore's statement is a joke. He was an undersized tackle who was decent at everything but not above average at anything. Miami's best linemen were always centers and guards in the 60s, 70s, and 80s until Webb arrived. Who's next on the Walk of Fame, his bookend mate Eric Laakso?
Man, you and me were not watching the same team. Jon was not mediocre. Unlike Richmond Webb, Giesler could run block. Next thing I guess you will say is that Kuchenberg was a bum.

Man, you and me were not watching the same team. Jon was not mediocre. Unlike Richmond Webb, Giesler could run block. Next thing I guess you will say is that Kuchenberg was a bum.
No, Kooch was great and as tough as they come. Probably should be in the HoF. He and Ed Newman and Stephenson were the anchors of that line in the early 80s (with 15 Pro Bowls between them), not Giesler and Laakso. Giesler never came close to making a Pro Bowl.

I have mixed feelings about this discussion. IMO, Keuchenberg, Newman and Stephenson were the stars of that line in the early 80’s. Giesler and Laakso we’re good but not great. At least, that’s how I remember it. At the same time, 38 games without giving up a sack is remarkable no matter the era. They didn’t talk about this streak or this kind of thing at the time so perhaps he was a bit unheralded.

He was nowhere near an “unknown” player as the article suggests. If you are old enough to have watched in the early to mid 80’s you certainly know exactly who he was. Good for him to be honored - he was the starting LT in 2 SBs. Now I do hope it wasn’t he that gave up that crushing blindside sack / fumble on Woodley in the ‘82 SB because that was a huge play in the game. Off topic I know but...

This is absolutely not correct. Giesler and Foster were a huge part of keeping Marino upright in the mid 80s. On what freaking planet was he undersized?

I always liked Giesler. He had a good Senior season at Michigan and we took him late first round. Maybe not quite the player Webb was, but he's deserving of this honor.

Honestly, if players that played with him make those compliments and say he deserves to be there- who are you to say that he wasnt???

I always liked Giesler. He had a good Senior season at Michigan and we took him late first round. Maybe not quite the player Webb was, but he's deserving of this honor.
What a back to back (78’ and 79’) set of LTs Michigan had Mike Kenn then followed by Giesler. Two former first round picks and Kenn belongs in the HOF while Giesler just made the fins walk of fame. Not bad.

Oh I loved that guy. He was a GREAT player. He and Eric Laakso at RT along with Roy Foster Dwight Stephenson and Bob Kuechenberg. Oh I get the chills just thinking about those guys and how great they were. I recall opening day 1982, when he and Laakso won NFL's Offensive players of the week. They held Mark Gasteneau and Joe Klecko to 0 Sacks and 0 tackles.

Last edited:
I watched him play and thought he was decent to very good. I wouldn't call him great, but he was better than JAG. I'm glad to see him get this type of recognition.

Oh I loved that guy. He was a GREAT player. He and Eric Laakso at RT along with Roy Foster Dwight Stephenson and Bob Kuechenberg. Oh I get the chills just thinking about those guys and how great they were. I recall opening day 1982, when he and Laakso won NFL's Offensive players of the week. They held Mark Gasteneau and Joe Klecko to 0 Sacks and 0 tackles.
Where is perennial probowler Ed Newman in the equation. Foster took over when Kooch retired I believe. Newman played a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom