Hyde5: Here's Why A Fast Start Looks Scheduled For Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jul 5, 2018.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

The Dolphins have had some scheduling headaches out the gate in recent years, most notably last season, when they lost their home opener to Hurricane Irma and their first three games were at Los Angeles, at New York and in London.

Here are the first three games:

Home vs. Tennessee at 1 p.m.

Away at New York Jets

Home vs. Oakland at 1 p.m.

This year is the opposite. They’ve got a good schedule that helps chances of a strong start. Two-and-one? Three-and-0? Well, they should be favored in their first three games, assuming nothing awful happens before the Sept. 9 opener.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde5-dolphins-start-20180705-story.html

malok, Danny68 and Ray R like this.
  2. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins Finheaven VIP

Actually Tennessee is favored in home opener. Winnable game though. Agreed on chances of good start.

Ray R likes this.
  3. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

It is odd they pick Jesse Davis as the team's biggest weakness, he may not even be the O-line's biggest weakness

finitis23, rickd13 and Ray R like this.
  4. sunworshipper

sunworshipper FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He has a lot less experience than the other four starters. I wouldn't call it a weakness, more like the biggest risk/unknown on the OL.

rent this space likes this.
  5. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Oakland is the ? For me. We don't know how good they will be. Same as us though

6. JahnDho

JahnDho Well-Known Member

TN and OAK are two potential playoff teams. If you think they can have a fast start then you really are single minded. I get it, anyone can win any given Sunday...it’s the NFL blah blah blah. But to expect it is another thing. Also left off that they play NE week 4 too. Could be 1-3 after the first quarter of the season.

7. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Tennessee lost their stud tackle and Murray is gone too. I fully expect Tennessee to take a step backwards this year

Ray R likes this.
  8. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Agree that this is a great set up to start the season and build some momentum. Gotta stash some wins early if we want to get to 10.

Etuoo33 and Ray R like this.
  9. Wishfishin

Wishfishin Waterboy

I like the fact that TN and OAK games are in our house. I'd say 2-1 is a reasonable expectation.

joenhre and Ray R like this.
  10. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Oakland is traveling to Miami week 3, after traveling to Denver Week 2.

joenhre and Ray R like this.
  11. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Haven’t really looked at this yet but I do like it. I always like seeing west coast teams traveling east early in the season too. They’ll still be getting in their rhythm as a team only to have it jolted with a time change, long trip, and hot weather.

I see 3-0 is possible and hope they pull it off. It’d be fun to watch nfln and ESPN lose their minds.

The Goat, joenhre, Ray R and 2 others like this.
  12. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Miami is also a potential playoff team. You say we are single minded but you seem single minded as far as being pessimistic about everything phins related... try some optimistism.

jtoomuch, joenhre, El Calebra and 4 others like this.
  13. finfan41

finfan41 Rookie Finheaven VIP

The thing with Oakland is we don’t know what to expect from Gruden sense he’s been gone 10 years as a coach, also which Carr will show up 2016 before injury, or 2017 after injury, he seemed to be playing scared last year, dumping the ball off if he even sniffed pressure

14. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

I feel confident they can get off to a fast start too. I know things can change drastically one year to the next. We played all three teams last year, beat two of them and could've beaten the third (had they not beat themselves.)

Tennessee (we beat last year) @ MIami: Tennessee is dealing with a devastating loss to their LT position. Their top 2 WRs are Corey Daivs and Rishard Matthews. They still have Delanie Walker; and their RBs are Derrick Henry, and Dion Lewis. On paper, the Fins have made improvements on D to improve it's overall speed, and stop TEs in the passing game. The key will be to stop the running game and a scrambling QB. Fins win this one.

Miami at Jets (split last year). Top 2 Wrs are Quincy Enunwa and Robbie Anderson (who may be suspended). Top TE is Jordan Leggett. RBs are Isaiah Crowell and Bilal Powell. This early in the season, I expect Josh McCown to start at QB. Although I like their RBs, they can't do it on their own. However, this is a division game, and the Fins can't afford to play down to their level, or they will lose on the road. The key once again is stopping the run game.

Oakland (lost to them) @ Miami. Last year, this game frustrated me, IMO they beat themselves more than the Raiders beat them. Now Gruden is back in black which should make things interesting. The Raiders have a really good O-line. Top WRs are Jordy Nelson, Amari Cooper, and Martavis Bryant. TE is Jared Cook, and the RBs are Marshawn Lynch and Doug Martin. QB is Derek Carr. Our secondary will face it's first real test of the season, going up against these veteran receivers, and the front seven will be challenged by a tough running game. The Fins will be tasked to handle it's toughest test (so far) against possibly a very balanced attack. But a West Coast team coming over to play in the Miami heat will hurt them. I like the Fins at home in this game.

joenhre, Ray R, BSQ and 2 others like this.
  15. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

Murray being gone may not be such a bad thing. They have that big behemoth who IMO was better than Murray last year. Without Murray, Derrick Henry may just have himself a breakout year.

DolfanDuBbZ~, Ray R and Travis34 like this.
  16. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

As far as the first three teams, I'm only concerned with one. Ours. Mariotta this, Gruden that, but if Ryan this offense comes out swinging, much UNlike last year, we control the game with the offense we've been promised for 3 years.

miami365, joenhre and Ray R like this.
  17. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

I see this as well. People are already looking past these teams? Did they forget that the Jets smoked us last year in the Meadowlands or that Oakland and Tennessee have way better O's than us? If we do beat these teams, they will all be dog fights. Even if we beat the Jets, it will be close. Probably a one score game.

JAKEIII and Ray R like this.
  18. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

How can this be? Isn’t Miami 2-14 already?

Ray R likes this.
  19. Pandarilla

Pandarilla A True Fan

Feckin' Hyde! Kiss of Death...

20. srp1979

srp1979 Well-Known Member Donator

We always shoot blanks until about week 6, at least that's been the case for several seasons now. With all these new starters, I don't see us coming out with the guns blazing.

Not to mention Tanny has never come out on fire.

21. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Jesse Davis the team's biggest weakness on paper right now? And not the giant, enormous question mark at LB? The kicking situation? Our extremely inexperienced TE corps?

22. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Eh knowing Miami they’ll win games they’re not supposed to and then lose games you think they should win.

23. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

I love the first 3 games. All winnable, and we have the Miami heat on our side for 2 of the games. Oakland traveling, heat, and 1 o’clock gives them a serious disadvantage.

I love opening with Tenn. A win vs a playoff team last season would signal a change. I also love we have to play a very good TE and Mobil qb. The two biggest weaknesses of last years defebse. If we shut down Walker our draft was successful.

miami365 and joenhre like this.
  24. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Definitely feel like the team needs to get off to a fast start, at least 2-1 in the first three.

25. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy...and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

The trap game for me is week 2 at the Jets. Can't afford to lay another egg in NY, like we did last year.

26. JahnDho

I’ve been down the optimism road. Over the past 30 years it’s been in more years than it should have been just to be let down. I’ve grown wiser in my fanAGE. I’ve studied organizations and watched football for a long time. Not just the Dolphins. I’m a fan of the NFL and give credit when credit is due. I like TN more than OAK as a playoff team. Miami is a year away from being a playoff team. That’s as far as my optimism goes for Miami today.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  27. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Get a JUMP on teams (wow -- wouldn't THAT be ah-maze-ing) and then play AGGRESSIVE attack QB D
    with varied hi IQ stunts blitzes and (new term!) amorphous coverage schemes including 3S 3CB 1LB and
    4DL quasi motto D packages with Zen sack motives (QB crushed in lotus blossom position) win going a--
    way............... [insert exclamation point made]

Ray R likes this.
  28. jlfin

jlfin old pro

And your extreme pessimism is single minded.
    Neither TN or Oakland are sure fire playoff teams and both teams have question marks just like the Phins.
    People like you magnify the weaknesses of the Phins and marginalize their strengths and then turnaround and do the opposite for other teams. Neither of those 2 teams keep opposing coaches up at night.

Ray R and joenhre like this.
  29. Shoes

Shoes Well-Known Member

“With a 2-1 or 3-0 start they could get some wind at their back and confidence inside the team. They’ll need it for the fourth game. At New England.”

Not left off, just not read by some posters.

Ray R likes this.
  30. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Fair enough :thumbsup

Ray R likes this.
  31. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Kudos.

Watching TENN they bring a brand of physical play that is in the top tier of the NFL. Miami did beat them in the last contest, but remember that was while Mariota was hurt (knee/active).

Is 2018 a possible 8-8/9-7 team? I think so. Is that a bad thing?

32. fish920

fish920 lurker Donator

Henry, Lewis > Murray, Henry. Tennessee is a better team than last year, and we barely beat them with their backup QB starting.

To be fair we didn’t have our QB either so....

Ray R likes this.
  33. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

Highly doubt we would be favored against a Tenn. team that won a playoff game last year, actually I'm positive we wont be.

It is true that this years schedule is the opposite of last years though, we actually played the #6 most difficult schedule in the entire NFL last year, compounded by the fact that we traveled more than TWO TIMES the distance of any other team in the league. Wish I was making those numbers up by I'm not, add to that losing our bye week due to the hurricane and you can easily make an argument that Miami had the hardest schedule of all last year.

This year we travel a LOT less, the strength of schedule is in the 20s instead of #6 and we (fingers crossed) will get our bye week this year. We also get our starting QB back. Very easy to see us winning 4-5 more games than last year.

Digital likes this.
  34. JahnDho

It’s what they are, which isn’t anything to be excited about. Then again, many people in here get excited when their kid wins a participation medal.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if they fell to 7-9 either. It’s only disappointing if your expectations are 10 plus wins and in the playoffs.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  35. JahnDho

Strength of schedule matters more than most people think. Still don’t see all this translating to 4-5 more wins.

36. Jssanto

Jssanto Well-Known Member

I agree about the laying an egg line. They always talk about players being consistent but that goes for teams also. We need to be up for all games and avoid coming out flat.

Ray R likes this.
  37. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

Schedules are tricky to look at prior to the season. You really can’t be sure - some teams are better than expected and some are worse than expected. Who knows - Gruden may have forgotten how to coach or the time away does him good and the team are world beaters. All that matters is that we show marked improvement on both sides of the ball and we’ll be fine. I do prefer having 3 games either home or up the coast versus the nonsensical travel we did to start last season.

rent this space likes this.
  38. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

While I agree schedules are trickey its really going to back on the coaching on our part with a rusty a QB and a veey young front line at DT and LB there is a large curve for err

39. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

People downplay this while also overrating the Raiders' overall talent while underrating the Dolphins. Many seem to forget that both teams were 6-10 last year while the Raiders had Carr for pretty much the entire season. Both teams made roster changes but only the Raiders seem to be getting the benefit of the doubt.

There seems to be a lot of mention of all the adjustments and chemistry the Dolphins will need to build early on with all those new players and coaches. Which is a valid concern. The problem is they are
    ignoring similar issues facing teams like the Titans, Raiders, Bears and Lions.

Ray R likes this.
  40. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I'm guessing we're a part of those teams ideas on a fast start too.

sunworshipper likes this.