Hypothetical Situation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hypothetical Situation

PhinPhreak

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
OK, how many would have made this deal.

Traded the #20 to the Bills for their 2nd, 5th and 1st next year.

Then trade the Bills 5th and next years 4th for Welbourn.

Net would of been

Welbourn, a 2nd and a First next year

for

#20 and next years 4th.

Heaven forbid we discuss that happened yesterday and today in the football world on a football board:( Its interesting, but i think money would have been a big factor.

It really depends on how you view Carey. If you think as the FO apparently do that Carey is going to be a long time starter at OT. You stick. I'd probably have traded out, but I'm a little luke warm on Carey. But, I've been wrong before.

I like taking the Bills trade. I don't like going for Welborn. I would prefer to address T with a free agent and hope for the best while value drafting.

No.

We got, in effect, our two starting tackles for the next 10 years in the first two rounds of this draft. We do not need another guard, Welbourn.

Sorry but I think trading up to get Vernon was a great move. The kid has got so much to play for, it really is the perfect fit.

I don't think I would have done that, only because tackle was such a pressing need for us. The value is obviously very good. Welbourn is a good guard, but we all know that tackle is much more important. What's more, the guy's looking for a hugely inflated contract.

It's interesting that many Dolphin fans thought Buffalo got ripped off but now it appears Tom Donahoe gave you guys a shot at this deal before Dallas.

I do think you made the right move. This year was a draft loaded with talent and the tackle talent dropped big time after Vernon Carey.

DolFinatic718 said:
DolFinatic718 said:
mute point....who cares?

It's stunning insightful posts such as this that have so many other posters eager to help you learn how to start a new thread.....

baalworship said:
It's interesting that many Dolphin fans thought Buffalo got ripped off but now it appears Tom Donahoe gave you guys a shot at this deal before Dallas.

I do think you made the right move. This year was a draft loaded with talent and the tackle talent dropped big time after Vernon Carey.

As of now it does look like the Bills overpaid for JP, but we won't know for a few years. I know back when they traded for Job Rohnson I felt they way overpaid also, most Bills fans didn't agree then either. We shall see.

I am happy with the Carey pick pretty much also, I just wanted to see what people would of done with the offer. Actually Welbourn didn't actually have to be part of it but I knew somebody would of said "we need OL help" so I added that into the equation.

As soon as Lee Evans was selected Donahoe got on the phone and offered almost every team from the 14th pick on down this trade. If this was a complete ripoff it's hard to see how so many teams passed on such a great deal. Then the Cowboys finally relented but got ripped by almost every draft talking head.

I think the Cowboys made out ok since Steven Jackson was overrated. I think the Broncos found a better back in Tatum Bell in the 2nd. Julius Jones was not way worse than Jackson.

From the Bills POV, we got a franchise QB a year early. This was necessary because Bledsoe's in the last year of his contract and his play has declined. I would give up a 2nd and a 5th anyday to have my future franchise QB get a year of learning under Sam Wyche before he is given the keys.

Draft Value Chart:

Bills Obtain Pick 1st Round (#22) 850 Points

Cowboys Obtain 2nd Round 2004 (#43) 480 Points, 5th Round 2004 40 Points, 2005 1st Rounder 500-700 Points

Teams Expecting to Contend 500
Teams Expected to be average 600
Teams Expected to be terrible 700

If we say Bills will be 8-8 next year that gets us:

1120 points

Difference in Points on Chart ='s Late 2nd Rounder To Early 3rd Rounder

So if Bills are TERRIBLE: We lose a mid second
If Bills are Average: We lose Late 2nd-High 3rd
If Bills are in Playoffs: We lose Mid 3rd rounder

That is not as bad as people make it out when you factor in:

1. Bledsoe's contract
2. Next year's QB class & uncertainty