''I don't believe in throwing the ball. We have to run the ball to win.'' | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

''I don't believe in throwing the ball. We have to run the ball to win.''

SuperFin34

Just one ring before I die, PLEASE!!!
Reaction score
Wanny stated this in the press conference and seemed pissed off that the passing games resulted in three turnovers.

''You wanted the ball thrown?'' he said in disgust, ''well, you got the ball thrown.''

How do you guys feel? I think that our talent is definitely slanted to a passing game and we can pass the ball and win. I personally feel its silly to try to squeeze a passing quarterback, a pass catching tight end and talented receivers and relegate them to blocking for a running game that is just not there. Maybe balance for this team is overrated and we need to accept the talent on hand.

Opinions?

SuperFin34 said:
Wanny stated this in the press conference and seemed pissed off that the passing games resulted in three turnovers.

''You wanted the ball thrown?'' he said in disgust, ''well, you got the ball thrown.''

How do you guys feel? I think that our talent is definitely slanted to a passing game and we can pass the ball and win. I personally feel its silly to try to squeeze a passing quarterback, a pass catching tight end and talented receivers and relegate them to blocking for a running game that is just not there. Maybe balance for this team is overrated and we need to accept the talent on hand.

Opinions?
My opinion is Wanny is the worst HC in the NFL by far. It makees me ill to think that this guy will be running us into the ground for another year. Anyone who trots out his records and says" look how many games he's won " give your damn heads a shake. How many wins do you think he would have had with the Cardinals defense?!?!? Honestly 10-6 seasons?!?!?! Give me a break. This is a very talented team of core players and they can execute, that's why we win. It sure as hell isn't because of some ingenious game plan of Wanny's. So back to the original post I see no change in Wanny's dogged reliance on the run, but I do hope that now we have a QB with the arm to pull off a couple of come-backs.

In the second half how many times did we run? Do you think with AJ being inexperienced the way to go is to thro the ball 50 times a game? What is teh probability of errors occurring as the number of passes increases? Thats right as passes increase, the risk of errors increases. How effective is first year starter in a one dimensional offense? Not many are Marino or Elway that can do what they did with no real run game.

I believe you read to much ino that comment out of a hate for the man, which is understandable, but I agree with him on this. If we cannot find balance between run and pass, we wont be succesful. I believe we need to be able to run to win. A- running the ball reduces mistakes and makes AJ succesfull, and B - keeps the defense fresh, they are a fast but small defense, the more they are on the field, the more wore down they become and leads to the problems they have occurred late in teh season I believe. JMO.

well, gee, dave...

why did we just spend all that $$ on the WR core? LOL.

dave is such a poor head coach. not that he doesnt love football. not that he doesnt want to try to give it his best shot. hes just about as inconsistent in thought and action as jay has been with the football.

his days are certainly numbered at the head of this team.

i do hope for a solid victory this week and that aj has a great game. i believe aj has some fire in him that will develop over the next few wks. big test!

*mel

rickeyrunsover said:
I believe you read to much ino that comment out of a hate for the man, which is understandable, but I agree with him on this.
Thanks for the reply but I never stated a negative about Wanny, Not in this thread or ever. I just disagree with the run at all costs philosophy. I understand your point but its based on having an effective running game. Its arguable we didnt have one with ricky last year and this year remains to be seen, This wasnt meant to be a wanny bashing thread(enough of those) I just wanted to get opinions on his philosphy. I appreciated yours.

rickeyrunsover said:
In the second half how many times did we run? Do you think with AJ being inexperienced the way to go is to thro the ball 50 times a game? What is teh probability of errors occurring as the number of passes increases? Thats right as passes increase, the risk of errors increases. How effective is first year starter in a one dimensional offense? Not many are Marino or Elway that can do what they did with no real run game.

I believe you read to much ino that comment out of a hate for the man, which is understandable, but I agree with him on this. If we cannot find balance between run and pass, we wont be succesful. I believe we need to be able to run to win. A- running the ball reduces mistakes and makes AJ succesfull, and B - keeps the defense fresh, they are a fast but small defense, the more they are on the field, the more wore down they become and leads to the problems they have occurred late in teh season I believe. JMO.
Yes, you do need balance. Yet you haven't touched on the fact that Ricky and I believe LAmar have a fumbling problem. So, if they fumble 3 times in the game is the risk of running the ball, not equal to the risk of throwing the ball. The pass can set up the run. Of course you have to have balance, but you also have to devise a way of calling plays that are to your strenghts and the opponents weaknesses. You have to run the ball, but you cannot be predictable. Also, it is extremely hard to win a game if you cannot throw. Think about how the NFL has changed, at one time they hardly passed the ball, hmmm, now we pass and run, and pass 10x as much as they did in the early years of football. So, I definetly think you could say you have to BE ABLE TO PASS THE BALL TO WIN GAMES!:cooldude: :cooldude: :fire: :fire:

Then Dave why don't you friggen trade all or WR's for RB's and go with a 6 back backfield. God he is an idiot.

While running the ball reduces mistakes and keeps the defense fresh, it all hinges on actually being able to run the ball effectively. If you run the ball and you're 3 and out most of the time, it's not going to help the team.
The cold hard reality that Wanny refuses to see is that this team doesn't have the players that Denver or Kansas City or Green Bay has. They will never be able to be a "Running Team" like those teams are.

Granted, a balanced attack is necessary and is what everyone strives for as you cannot be one sided in this league. You will get shutdown at some point as everyone knows what to expect. But, as LG was saying, you either setup the run with the pass or you setup the pass with the run. Wanny is setup the pass with the run where as passing teams setup the run with the pass (i.e. New England last year, St Louis, Indy). Our talent level on offense is setup the run with the pass. The issue is, you have to execute on offense to be successful no matter which type of offense you run.

A short passing/high-percentage offense as we employed against Tenn. in the second half can be successful "IF" you have success early (i.e. score points 1st/2nd quarter and have a lead) but you cannot use it extensively if you're behind. You will have to mix it up with medium to long range passes to get the quick score as that clock is ticking with every short completion. We basically ran out of time against Tenn. cause of this, among other things stupid penalties and some execution issues.

The other point to the offensive systems is the "type" of run/pass plays you implement depending on your strength. For example, in the "pass to setup the run" system, when you actually call a running play you must (at times) attempt to deceive the defense that you're going to pass such as draw plays. Although, in that deception you will have a passing look (i.e. 3 WR/1RB) where you're giving up effective blockers (i.e. TE, FB) to accomplish your goal so execution is paramount to each position for it to work.

In the end, it's all about deception and/or creating mismatches talent wise that is the responsibility of the OC and execution which is the responsibility of the players. If either one breaks down, more than likely the play will not be successful.

Wanny must not believe in winning this season either, bc in order to win THIS year, we've got to pass.

He did say the fins would have a great passing game and a D that would be the best in franchise history. Who believes what he says anymore?

SuperFin34 said:

Opinions?

He said 'you wanted to throw the ball.. you have to run to win' in disgust. Well, I'm disgusted he holds that view. At the least you have to be balanced.

Pittsburgh has shown you can win by simply running. Where has that gotten Kansas, Pittsburgh, Sand Diego with the best back in football? Huh Dave? Wake the F up idiot. You need balance moron.

dolphins1111111 said:
Yes, you do need balance. Yet you haven't touched on the fact that Ricky and I believe LAmar have a fumbling problem.

Lamar does not have a fumbling problem...in fact it's considered one of his strengths. In his NFL career he's fumbled 5 times, 3 of them were recovered by the defense. Overall though I agree with your post :D

wasnt happy to read that ........
aj needs some rope to swing or hang from
yeah we have to run......he says balance
if it is balance than fine......but if it is predominatly run then just hope DW knows gordon isnt RW.............dont want to wait around and hope the D pulls turnovers and wins the game............

cincy doesnt have a secondary and we have 3 guys that can go long and a gun to throw it from.....HE HAS TO SEE THAT

Back
Top Bottom