I Feel Our Running Game Has Improved | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Feel Our Running Game Has Improved

I will cut Gore a little slack for his low yards per carry with the Colts considering their O-line was awful and this guy was their O-line coach.
2zibtdh.jpg
Plus the backup QB situation. Basically a rookie, so he had lots of tells. And the opposing defenses expected the run. I’m not worried about the low ypc, especially with Drake getting most of the snaps.

Sure but it is always a plus when you have a veteran player/leader. They go through the grind with you and think the coach can be a jackass sometimes just like you do. Often times it is much easier to relate to them than the coach.
Especially if you feel like the coach has singled you out and hates your guts. A vet will just pull you to the side and tell you what the reality is. He doesn't hate you but want you to perform like a professional so watch me and I'll show you how to get out of the doghouse.

That layer of leadership is immensely helpful in many professions.

And I'll add Gore can be in the weight room for the entire workout and in the film room all afternoon. Coaches can't do that.

I don't understand the Gore hype. Peoples talked poop about Landry and his avg of 8.8 last year and how he caught 100 balls but didn't break 1k. Gore averaged 3.68 ypc which was good for 43rd in the NFL, and is one of 2 players who were top ten in rush attempts but didn't break 1k but the other guy only played 10 games.

I love Gore and I am a big Hurricane fan and as much as I want him to have a good year I just can't see it. Drake ran well behind an awful line but used his superior speed and explosiveness to over come the line and break off long runs. I feel like with Gore avg'ing under 4 yards per carry the last 3 years it's only going to slow our offense down and his effective attempts are going to be few and far between.

But as Hurricane and Dolphin fan its good to have Gore on the roster and I hope he has a decent year for us. He was special his freshman year and if not for multiple knee injuries in college he would have been a top 5 pick and would have been the undisputed best UM HB in NFL history.

I dont think you are considering just how awful Indy's line was/is...same line that ruined Andrew Lucks career.

PFF considers things like line play, yards after contact and other stats than just looking at YPC... PFF had Gore as the #14 RB in the NFL last year, just ahead of Drake at #15.

Considering we added the #5 Guard in Sitton as well as a very good RB in Gore I have to agree the running game will improve this year

I dont think you are considering just how awful Indy's line was/is...same line that ruined Andrew Lucks career.

PFF considers things like line play, yards after contact and other stats than just looking at YPC... PFF had Gore as the #14 RB in the NFL last year, just ahead of Drake at #15.

Considering we added the #5 Guard in Sitton as well as a very good RB in Gore I have to agree the running game will improve this year

The Colts just made the single biggest investment on interior OL that I've ever seen. OG's with the 6th and 37th selections in the draft. Think about that for a second. Arguably the worst roster in the NFL and it's bigger holes were on the OL. It's amazing Gore is still walking, let alone producing at the rate he was.

Well if were using pff, they had us ranked as a worse OL than the Colts. They also graded us last in yards before contact, so while Sitton may indeed be an upgrade that still leaves the remaining players that contributed to us having one of the worst run blocking rankings last year. Kilgore and Pouncey are a wash so I don't see him impacting the center position like Sitton is going to do with the guard position.

Drake looked like he was able to overcome his crappy line unlike Gore who maybe at this point in his career doesn't have the physical gifts to make up for a horrible OL. Considering the majority of our line is manned by individuals who were part of one of the worst run blocking units and helped us have a last place grade in yards before contact it would be fair to say that outside of Drake our run game will be mediocre at best. Thats why despite Drake being the leading rusher in the NFL over the last 5 games the Dolphins as a team were ranked 25th in rushing yards over the last 5 games of the season.

I don't understand the Gore hype. Peoples talked poop about Landry and his avg of 8.8 last year and how he caught 100 balls but didn't break 1k. Gore averaged 3.68 ypc which was good for 43rd in the NFL, and is one of 2 players who were top ten in rush attempts but didn't break 1k but the other guy only played 10 games.

I love Gore and I am a big Hurricane fan and as much as I want him to have a good year I just can't see it. Drake ran well behind an awful line but used his superior speed and explosiveness to over come the line and break off long runs. I feel like with Gore avg'ing under 4 yards per carry the last 3 years it's only going to slow our offense down and his effective attempts are going to be few and far between.

But as Hurricane and Dolphin fan its good to have Gore on the roster and I hope he has a decent year for us. He was special his freshman year and if not for multiple knee injuries in college he would have been a top 5 pick and would have been the undisputed best UM HB in NFL history.

Im hyped about Gore but it has nothing to do with highlight reel runs or even mass production at this point. I like to believe that the running game and passing game serve 2 different purposes in an offense.

You'll usually get explosive plays from the passing game or at least its the easiest way to get them, and those usually come with favorable down and distance. Thats where the running game comes in. There's alot of value in a 3-4 yard gain on average with little variance coming with it.

Gore brings that IMO, consistency and reliability. Fins have a more dynamic RB option on the roster, so Gore fits well as a heat sink IMO. And we havent even talked about the locker room benefits yet... I dont expect big numbers from Gore, but if the coaches draw up a play and expect 4 yards on a run from that play, he'll get them.

Well if were using pff, they had us ranked as a worse OL than the Colts. They also graded us last in yards before contact, so while Sitton may indeed be an upgrade that still leaves the remaining players that contributed to us having one of the worst run blocking rankings last year. Kilgore and Pouncey are a wash so I don't see him impacting the center position like Sitton is going to do with the guard position.

Drake looked like he was able to overcome his crappy line unlike Gore who maybe at this point in his career doesn't have the physical gifts to make up for a horrible OL. Considering the majority of our line is manned by individuals who were part of one of the worst run blocking units and helped us have a last place grade in yards before contact it would be fair to say that outside of Drake our run game will be mediocre at best. Thats why despite Drake being the leading rusher in the NFL over the last 5 games the Dolphins as a team were ranked 25th in rushing yards over the last 5 games of the season.

I think any evaluation of the offense in 2018 should be thrown down the toilet... Except maybe for the short passing game. Cutler's arm was sot and everyone knew it... This affected the run game just as much as the medium and deep passing game...

The problem with most statistics is they are typically averaged over an entire season. Our offensive line improving its performance over the last 4 or 5 games gets lost in that averaging. I like to consider the way a team is trending over the last half of a season as a measure of how they are really doing.

Some of our most important players showed some extremely poor judgment towards the end of the year. One players attitude and resulting reduced performance was so poor that he was traded before the year was over. Coach Gase said he felt is was in both his and the teams best interest, and he was right! Our running game was significantly better without that player and he got to play on a Superbowl team.

Another player appeared to me to be playing to an audience on social media by reducing his self discipline during games and acting out on the field instead, which worked against our teams best interests. One of his last actions actually cost us a game. The team still made him a large offer to stay for this year, but he left for more money. His choice, and as far as I'm concerned it worked to our advantage. We got two veterans that cost us less then the offer he left on the table and can be expected to add to the wide receiver groups capabilities.

Two players were primarily money cap casualties, but both had exhibited performance that was less than expected for their large contracts. One had some lingering medical issues that affected his availability. The team took some extreme measures so that he could play each week, but those measures curtailed his practice time, which turned out to be critical. The best ability is availability. The other player had started to free lance a little. This was not as serious as his extraordinarily large contract, but it was likely part of the consideration to keep him or eat a lot of dead money. We chose to eat the dead money.
Free lancing had been a serious problem with many players in 2015 and they either got with the program or were dropped from the program. I'm sure he knew better. Possibly it was an attempt on his part to make plays, but it wasn't what the coaches expected to see during those plays.

It is useful to know that Kilgore's performance after Garoppolo took over as QB was much better than the years statistics indicate.

Because I consider a player and teams end of the year performance more important than the years statistics, I see our team as having improved in almost all areas offensively and defensively. I do look for good playing from our draftees and free agents, but why shouldn't I. We can reasonably expect veterans to play at or near their last years performance, depending on their fit in the teams playing schemes to the same extent that any team that keeps a veteran does. I feel we are better off than most other teams in getting performance out of our draftees. I base this on two things:
1) Performance - the performance of our team in selecting good players at all levels in the draft and the coaches bringing them up to speed before exposing them to the NFL level players they will be facing.
2) The fact that Gase has said he may have held some players back longer than necessary in the past. I suspect he is so driven to win that he hangs on to some veterans too long. He appears to have overcome that level of conservatism.

They also added an excellent RB coach
This is my biggest reason for hope for improvement overall this season is the new position coaches. That being said a running back by committee is the approach that I see for the best sucess given Gores age, Drakes injury history and Ballage being a rookie.

And according to PFF, gore was a better RB than Drake last year....

they also have Stills as worse than 80+ other receivers which seems ridiculous so really I have no ieea what to think of PFF anymore lol

Having watched pretty much every one of Gore's pro games, I'll try to shed some light on Gore's game and what he should be able to produce this coming year.

While Gore is short and stocky, he's not truly a power back. He will run over DBs who don't get good tackling position on him, but he won't move piles at the LOS. He uses patience and vision to find creases in the line and accelerates through them. Running between the tackles, Gore is great at not losing yards. If no crease develops, he won't try to get creative and bounce it out (he doesn't have the speed to do so), he'll just dive through a hole to try to get positive yardage. Gore is not an East-West, one-cut runner. He's most effective running between the tackles, but will occasionally explode outside the tackle if the tackle collapses the end.

So, the net is that don't expect Gore to move piles at 4th and goal at the 1, or to run sweeps. He's better 3-6 yards out where the OL has some ability to create creases. If Gase runs Gore sideline to sideline, he will not have success.

At the other end of the spectrum, Gore has never had great speed, but he has lost a step. He relies on good downfield blocking to break off big runs, and he has great ability to use downfield blocking. When he gets a crease--and he doesn't need much of one--he's still explosive and will gash defenses for 5-10 yards, but if he doesn't have downfield blocking, he's not going to get many 15+ runs.

How does this all translate to what Gore did over the past 2 years? At the outset, it is important to note that Gore was never unseeded by any other RBs. No one they brought in was able to perform better than Gore in the Colts offense. That said, Gore's YPC was the lowest of his career. Why? Many reasons: (1) the Colts had very predictable playcalling. There is an article out there that broke down their play calling and noted that in certain formations, the Colts ran running plays 100% of the time. If a beat writer recognized that, you can bet NFL defenses did too. (2) with a revolving door at QB, most defenses were able to focus on the RB play. (3) the Colts interior line was bad. So many plays, DL and LBs went unblocked. Forcing Gore to simply dive and get no yards. Mack -- Gore's back up -- had the speed to bust some of those same plays for big yards (see 49er game last year) -- but Gore can't do that. (4) The Colts downfield blocking was from average to poor. WRs TY Hilton and Dorsett are terrible blockers. Moncrief was better, but inconsistent. And, once again, the Colts OL was below avg in getting to the second level to set blocks. If you look at some of Gore's highlight footage, you'll see him blast through the line, only to run into 3-4 unblocked tacklers. That's a product of all of the above factors. Despite the challenges Gore encountered in the Colts' offense, and his career low YPC numbers, many Colts fans consider Gore among their all time favorites. He's a grinder that runs hard all the time.

I think a lot of knowledgeable fans recognize that even a great back won't produce with a spotty offense, OL and playcalling...e.g., in 2016, Gurley had a 3.2 YPC avg on the season. Gore no longer has Gurley's skills at this stage of his career, but in a better offense he could have produced at a much higher level. I think he's still capable of running for 4.2 ypc+, but it won't be the result of 3-4 40+ yard runs, mixed in with a bunch of losses. It will come from a balance of 6-10 yard runs with some 1-2 yard short yardage dives and the occasional 15+ yard run. He'll move the chains and set up short yardage early down situations for the offense, both running and catching the ball. For an OC, Gore is a dream because he can play every down (great blocker as well), and he gets out of a play what it is designed to do...what he wont get you is the jaw-dropping one off plays that CJ, Charles, or McCoy gets you 3-4 times per season.

Last edited:
Having watched pretty much every one of Gore's pro games, I'll try to shed some light on Gore's game and what he should be able to produce this coming year.

While Gore is short and stocky, he's not truly a power back. He will run over DBs who don't get good tackling position on him, but he won't move piles at the LOS. He uses patience and vision to find creases in the line and accelerates through them. If no crease develops, he won't try to get creative and bounce it out (he doesn't have the speed to do so), he'll just dive through a hole to try to get positive yardage. Running between the tackles, Gore is great at not losing yards. Gore is not an East-West, one-cut runner. He's most effective running between the tackles, but will occasionally explode outside the tackle if the tackle collapses the end.

So, the net is that don't expect Gore to move piles at 4th and goal at the 1, or to run sweeps. He's better 3-6 yards out where the OL has some ability to create creases. If Gase runs Gore sideline to sideline, he will not have success.

At the other end of the spectrum, Gore has never had great speed, but he has lost a step. He relies on good downfield blocking to break off big runs, and he has great ability to use downfield blocking. When he gets a crease--and he doesn't need much of one--he's still explosive and will gash defenses for 5-10 yards, but if he doesn't have downfield blocking, he's not going to get many 15+ runs.

How does this all translate to what Gore did over the past 2 years? At the outset, it is important to note that Gore was never unseeded by any other RBs. No one they brought in was able to perform better than Gore in the Colts offense. That said, Gore's YPC was the lowest of his career. Why? Many reasons: (1) the Colts had very predictable playcalling. There is an article out there that broke down their play calling and noted that in certain formations, the Colts ran running plays 100% of the time. If a beat writer recognized that, you can bet NFL defenses did too. (2) with a revolving door at QB, most defenses were able to focus on the RB play. (3) the Colts interior line was bad. So many plays, DL and LBs went unblocked. Forcing Gore to simply dive and get no yards. Mack -- Gore's back up -- had the speed to bust some of those same plays for big yards (see 49er game last year) -- but Gore can't do that. (4) The Colts downfield blocking was from average to poor. WRs TY Hilton and Dorsett are terrible blockers. Moncrief was better, but inconsistent. And, once again, the Colts OL was below avg in getting to the second level to set blocks.
Despite the challenges Gore encountered in the Colts' offense, and his career low YPC numbers, many Colts fans consider Gore among their all time favorites. He's a grinder that runs hard all the time.

I think a lot of knowledgeable fans recognize that even a great back won't produce with a spotty offense, OL and playcalling...e.g., in 2016, Gurley had a 3.2 YPC avg on the season. Gore no longer has Gurley's skills at this stage of his career, but in a better offense he could have produced at a much higher level. I think he's still capable of running for 4.2 ypc+, but it won't be the result of 3-4 40+ yard runs, mixed in with a bunch of losses. It will come from a balance of 6-10 yard runs with some 1-2 yard short yardage dives and the occasional 15+ yard run. He'll move the chains and set up short yardage early down situations for the offense, both running and catching the ball. For an OC, Gore is a dream because he can play every down (great blocker as well), and he gets out of a play what it is designed to do...what he wont get you is the jaw-dropping one off plays that CJ, Charles, or McCoy gets you 3-4 times per season.

I really appreciate this post.

I find it both knowledgeable and comprehensive while avoiding some of those hyperbolic summations I often see that go in either a good or bad direction.

Im looking forward to watching Ballage in the preseason. I am assuming the Dolphins will limit Kenyan Drake and Frank Gore, so it should be fun to see what the young guy can do.

Excellent post A8bil. I followed Gore at the U where he was injured so bad I did not think he would ever play again. San Fran took a chance on him and it paid off x 1000 . Now I do believe he has lost a step which is understandable but his blocking , pass catching ability and being the guy who can get those 3 /4 yards inside any time you need them is a perfect balance to Drake's outside speed.
That said I think he'll still break a few long ones. Probably right up the gut with only a safety to beat for the score like he did to us a few years ago

Back
Top Bottom