I have just witnessed the single worst piece of officiating I have ever seen! | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I have just witnessed the single worst piece of officiating I have ever seen!

anyone who catches the explanation by the head of officiating guy on NFL Network, would you please post here what was said?

burger13 said:
from the NFL rulebook on NFL.com:

23. Possession: When a player controls the ball throughout the act of clearly touching both feet, or any other part of his body other than his hand(s), to the ground inbounds.

I think that it was clearly an INT to anyone who just wants to use logic, or common sense, or whatever you want to call it. But what the ref is trying to do, and what it is his job to do, it make the call according to guidelines and rules that are set up for them……rules that just seem nonsensical at times. ( see “Tuck Ruleâ€Â).

By what the official said after the reversal, he interprets THROUGHOUT to mean the complete act of diving to the ground to catch the ball THROUGHT the act of trying to get up, which was all one maneuver by Polamalu…..and the ref didn’t not consider the act complete, until both knees were off the ground…..by which time he had knocked the ball loose.

These rules leave room for interpretation…….The one thing that no one has brought up is that these refs are almost certainly instructed on how they are expected to interpret the rules…..and judging by the confidence with which the ref gave his explanation, it leads me to believe that he had received some instructions pertaining to that rule.

IMO, the reason the rules are so vague, is to get the NFL out of jams just like this one. The NFL has a rule that makes no sense….but now has an out to simply say that one official used his judgement, and let all the fans in the world mad at the official for his poor judgement, and the NFL as a whole gets a pass…..just like the tuck rule.

As for the false start/encroachment non-call……..there is no good explanation for that.

It's possible the official was thinking along those lines, but you cannot in any sort of sane manner suggest that falling down and rolling over twice constitutes a single "act" akin to getting two feet down. Polamalu managed to hit his elbow, both knees, his head, and in fact his entire body while maintaining possession.

It's an official mistake now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294309

Alex22 said:
If you look at the rules and apply them to the play, its the correct call

And no the tuck rule sucks
Son...the NFL...which never ever admits to a mistake...just admitted that the Refs call on that Interception was DEAD wrong...and so was all your rule quoting. This was about as obvious to the most of us as any single play I have watched in 30 yrs of football!

Alex22 said:
It does but you have to maintain possesion untill you get off the ground or you are touched down and the play is over

it was the right call
I didn't need to look at a rule book to know that call was DEAD WRONG

Alex22 said:
It does but you have to maintain possesion untill you get off the ground or you are touched down and the play is over

it was the right call
Alex22 said:

it was the right call
, revisit the rulebook when your less steamed about it
Alex22 said:
They said he lost possesion when his knee kicked it out

at that point he was still on the ground

therefore its an incompletion and the right call

3 words

MAINTAINED POSSESION THROUGHOUT

which he didnt have
Alex22 said:
One knee was still on the ground so therefor he is still down

people need to look at the play again when they are less angry
Alex22 said:
He caught it while diving through the air

He rolled around WHICH DOESNT MATTER YOU HAVE TO MAINTAIN THE BALL THE ENTIRE TIME YOU ARE ON THE GROUND

while one knee was still down he kicked it out

call on the field is overturned

Its the right call
Alex22 said:
He never got OFF THE GROUND

you cant maintain possesion while on the ground if you lose the ball while you are still ON THE GROUND

and your previous post is also flawed

The referee said

That he caught the ball, but didnt maintain possesion, his left knee was down as his right knee kicked it out

You even misheard the call
Alex22 said:
Thank you

Thats the most logical arguement anyone has made against the call so far

I still think the call was right based on the rule

But the rule is flawed and should be changed some
Alex22 said:
No the rulebook states you have to maintain possesion the entire time on the ground, his knee was still down when he lost it

It doesnt matter how many somersaults or tumbles he did

Its the correct call
Alex22 said:
One knee was still on the ground, before he got up his other knee knocked it out

One knee on the ground and you are DOWN it doesnt matter what he did with the ball, because he never got UP, He didnt maintain possesion the Entire time on the ground

Visit the rulebook before you resort to namecalling
Alex22 said:
If you look at the rules and apply them to the play, its the correct call

And no the tuck rule sucks
Alex22 said:
Yes it was

How can you even argue it wasnt?

fact is you have to maintain possesion the entire time you are on the ground throughout the catch

he lost it before both knees were up

how can you even argue it?
Hey Alex..............http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9168866
Sorry. Just had to rub it in since you argued and argued and argued and argued..........................:D

PressCoverage said:
anyone who catches the explanation by the head of officiating guy on NFL Network, would you please post here what was said?
My post above has the link.:up:

Now that the league has admitted there were wrong on the interception...I would love to hear what they say now about the "do over" play(which had first started this thread way back. How do you justify just running a do-over????

at least they realized they were wrong. the both knees up thing makes no sense at all--what if the player rolls into the endzone? its not a TD untill he gets up???:lol:

I can't beleive they admitted a mistake

RobFins2005 said:
Conspiracy theories are for serious nerds.

certain kinds, maybe. if everyone continues blindly trusting everything the corporate establishment is feeding us now, our children will learn about the bill of rights as a "historical document."

DPlus47 said:
certain kinds, maybe. if everyone continues blindly trusting everything the corporate establishment is feeding us now, our children will learn about the bill of rights as a "historical document."

Obviously I was referring to football.

Not overzealous neo-conservative republicans. :) (ducks)

Back
Top Bottom