I honestly want to praise Ireland as GM | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I honestly want to praise Ireland as GM

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score
This man has had Solid Drafts ( we all know that Pat White was a Bill Parcells pick )

he brought us a top tier corner in Vontae Davis , he did his research on Cameron Wake ( yet you all want to bash the man), Last year brought a prized F.A in Karlos Dansby.

i mean what i am trying to get at he's been a good GM without old headed Parcells around him.

95 percent of this board loves to hate him but never realizes what this franchise was and what players he brought in.

IF he would've gotten a successful QB ( the question mark is still out on henne) the man would've done a AMAZING job.

It is amazing how far this team has come in the four years since 1-15. That team had the worst offensive line in football with Vernon Carey playing left tackle. Carey is solid, but always thought he was best suited for where he is now - guard. There were very few bright spots on that team and now Miami has a lot of good young talent, a top defense, an above average offensive line and now finally getting some much needed speed. Not getting a quarterback will alway haunt Ireland, though, unless Henne's play takes off or he is able to stick around and solve that issue.

I agree. He has made solid draft picks at every position other then qb, and that could change if Henne progresses this year.

I'm in your corner on this subject, I can't knock the man for what has taken place in the 4 years he has been here .. the 1st 2 years were mostly scouting and making recommendations to Parcells ... his eye for talent seems to be very focused, and seems to know or have the uncanny ability to project a players ability to mature into solid pro's ... Many complain about some of the picks over the last 2 years, but seem to forget that Ireland has to project into the future when drafting, he had no way of knowing back in 2010 if he'd be able to re-sign McDaniel, Merling and Langford, therefore choose to select Odrick, in the 1st round!!! who we all read about him liking him as far back as the Senior Bowl ... The QB situation may get him canned from his job eventually, but remember Henne fits the BP criteria ... BP can deny all he wants about Henne, but he was running the draft in 2008 ... Ireland I believe will finally Address the QB situation with a 1st round pick in the upcoming draft in 2012 ... it might not be what most fans are clamoring for, but, those Henne detractor's need to go back to 2009 and realize He was considered an up and coming Player, the coaching staff; I believe is most responsible for Henne's regression ... Like the Rams in 2010, they needed a QB and finally took one in Bradford, when they passed on one the year before .. This is the exact situation Miami is in for 2012 .. Miami should be picking somewhere between say #12-#20 ... this is a QB rich draft someone will be there .. lets just hope Miami lucks out like the Rams did and gets a QB that fits the team with perfection .. I believe Ireland will take a QB ..

It is amazing how far this team has come in the four years since 1-15. That team had the worst offensive line in football with Vernon Carey playing left tackle. Carey is solid, but always thought he was best suited for where he is now - guard. There were very few bright spots on that team and now Miami has a lot of good young talent, a top defense, an above average offensive line and now finally getting some much needed speed. Not getting a quarterback will alway haunt Ireland, though, unless Henne's play takes off or he is able to stick around and solve that issue.

I believe Ireland will take a QB in round #1 in 2012 ... and try to re-sign Henne, if Henne doesn't bolt first ...

TOTALLY agree. think about it....
what he did in 4 years..
Proven starters:
langford, dansby,vontae, s.smith, burnett (huge upgrade), misi, WAKE, built a top 5 defense.
offensively: pouncey (hopefully solid), bess, marshall, Long, lousaka, reggie

Hopefully with Merling, odrick, edds, dthmas, rashad, chris clemons.

we became an extremely young team and i understand the sparano bashing but not ireland...great job..he screwed up eith pat white but no draft is vperfect...

he is a really good gm..we were 1-15 ppl. and in 4 years we are decent and have a bright future ahead it all lies on qb play.

TOTALLY agree. think about it....
what he did in 4 years..
Proven starters:
langford, dansby,vontae, s.smith, burnett (huge upgrade), misi, WAKE, built a top 5 defense.
offensively: pouncey (hopefully solid), bess, marshall, Long, lousaka, reggie

Hopefully with Merling, odrick, edds, dthmas, rashad, chris clemons.

we became an extremely young team and i understand the sparano bashing but not ireland...great job..he screwed up eith pat white but no draft is vperfect...

he is a really good gm..we were 1-15 ppl. and in 4 years we are decent and have a bright future ahead it all lies on qb play.

Pat White was a BP pick .. not Ireland!!!

I have a hard time giving credit to Jeff for the good players that have been brought in, when I don't want to blame him for the duds either. if we're going to judge his body of work we have to figure that before "X" date it was all parcels, and after "X" date it was all jeff. but what is that date?

That last IF is a big one, only the most important position in today's game so I'm going to have to disagree and say FAIL based on the importance of that position

75% of this board was up in arms demanding Crowder be cut or replaced. I was of the notion, let Crowder play until the right upgrade was available. The right "on paper" upgrade comes along, Ireland gets his man, Ireland cuts Crowder and 75% of the board ignores it to ***** about something else Ireland didn't do.

Vernon Carey, last season worth the money (950K base) but his contract ballooned this season into elite tackle status (4.15M base), Miami is in position to cut and walk from a average RT that is way over paid, they have the leverage to force a restructure or they can cut ties, plain and simple. It is and was good business in 2008 and 2009, Miami needed Carey but now is the time to force the hand becasue he is replacable.

The other big improvement that Ireland has quietly went about is the bottom 1/4 of the roster. The bottom 1/4 of the roster hurt the Dolphins last season with regard to Special Teams play. It was horrible and needed a fresh new look, just ask San Diego what horrible special teams play can get you. This roster is quietly becoming a stealer roster full of depth and youth.

One position, one big positions is the basis for measuring this front office's success, QB. It isn't only about QB, yeah it is the position under the spotlight and scrutinized by the masses but with no real viable options this off season Ireland did what he could with what was available. Is Orton really a long term solution to Miami's QB - I say 50/50 odds, if an incumbent QB is going on the trading block in lieu of two horribly unproven QB's you have to ask what the right price for that QB is. It isn't a 2nd or even a 3rd to be honest, maybe a 4th to 6th would be OK with around 3 or 4mil in money. That wasn't the case and Ireland stood his ground made an offer and walked away when Elway and Co. decided to play **** around poker. Kolb???? Really a guy who hasn't started but 7 NFL games. Yeah if he excels in Arizona there will be a wave of "off with Ireland's head" chats because he didn't target Kolb but given the risk to cost ratio, I don't blame the guy one bit for not touching Kolb. The rest of the Qb's that were on the market this off season were no better, recycles, old, overrated whatever.

Fix what you can and live to fight another day. There will be no excuse for Henne this season, he either steps it up or gets the boot. Pat Devlin is hanging out as a nice project Qb and next season Plamer, Orton etc.. are free agents, the draft class is just as good as this years class if not better at Qb.

The same could be said about six or seven other instances as well on this team but people overlook them because they are not the lime light problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in your corner on this subject, I can't knock the man for what has taken place in the 4 years he has been here .. the 1st 2 years were mostly scouting and making recommendations to Parcells ... his eye for talent seems to be very focused, and seems to know or have the uncanny ability to project a players ability to mature into solid pro's ... Many complain about some of the picks over the last 2 years, but seem to forget that Ireland has to project into the future when drafting, he had no way of knowing back in 2010 if he'd be able to re-sign McDaniel, Merling and Langford, therefore choose to select Odrick, in the 1st round!!! who we all read about him liking him as far back as the Senior Bowl ... The QB situation may get him canned from his job eventually, but remember Henne fits the BP criteria ... BP can deny all he wants about Henne, but he was running the draft in 2008 ... Ireland I believe will finally Address the QB situation with a 1st round pick in the upcoming draft in 2012 ... it might not be what most fans are clamoring for, but, those Henne detractor's need to go back to 2009 and realize He was considered an up and coming Player, the coaching staff; I believe is most responsible for Henne's regression ... Like the Rams in 2010, they needed a QB and finally took one in Bradford, when they passed on one the year before .. This is the exact situation Miami is in for 2012 .. Miami should be picking somewhere between say #12-#20 ... this is a QB rich draft someone will be there .. lets just hope Miami lucks out like the Rams did and gets a QB that fits the team with perfection .. I believe Ireland will take a QB ..

IMO if we have to id do like Atlanta did this year and trade all our picks if it takes it to move up and get the right qb thats coming out because we are set at just about every other poss . so if there is some other small need we should be able to get that in FA

Ireland is a great GM. When we start winning, people will begin to love him. The more we keep losing, people will blindly hate him. I for one think he's done a great job.

He has done a great job. If someone had time it would be interesting to go back at teams drafts the last 4 years and we would find out that he has done pretty well. I watch all these domesloppers on the Pats and the genius drafting of BB and think what the heck? He has done a good job acquiring picks but he has done little in using them. He just trades them away in the draft ect. Yeah he traded Seymore for a 1st whooohooo dude played lights out last year. And they acquired what in return.

As far as the QB spot... He missed on Ryan a non playoff winning QB for a LT who is in progress of a Hall of Fame career. LT is the 2nd or 3rd most important position too. Outside of that.. he hasn't mortaged the future on a reach at the QB postion. Its not like we had shots at guy in where we were drafting and those that were available haven't exactly excelled.
PS Buzz Rant!

This man has had Solid Drafts ( we all know that Pat White was a Bill Parcells pick )

he brought us a top tier corner in Vontae Davis , he did his research on Cameron Wake ( yet you all want to bash the man), Last year brought a prized F.A in Karlos Dansby.

i mean what i am trying to get at he's been a good GM without old headed Parcells around him.

95 percent of this board loves to hate him but never realizes what this franchise was and what players he brought in.

IF he would've gotten a successful QB ( the question mark is still out on henne) the man would've done a AMAZING job.
i honestly want to praise steven ross for taking notice of irelands skills at drafting and finding diamond in the ruff players, and not making a knee jerk reaction and listening to some of our dumb fans and firing him.

Back
Top Bottom