I love Nick Saban...BUT..he is full of crap on this one. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I love Nick Saban...BUT..he is full of crap on this one.

Section 126
I love Nick Saban...BUT..he is full of crap on this one.
I don't get why Saban had to do this.....maybe he is just fluffing it off so the team doesn't get down...afterall...we are a team....and no one guy is bigger than the sum of it's parts.

I don't get your post. You say he is full of crap, why? Because he told the truth ? I don't think you love Nick at all, I think you just might be a Saban hater. Still mad over Braylon ehh?

Phinadict said:
He could be feeding this to the press to downplay any perceived sense of urgency that FA cornerbacks may be drooling over in possible contract talks...

I doubt that.

Saban has the final say on what the players get paid, if they want too much, he will just sign somebody else.

And why wouldnt he want players to be interested in coming to play here? He wants to keep all his options open more than anything else.

If he really is trying to 'smokescreen,' then he is doing it for trading reasons. It would make sense to downplay a sense of urgency of you are interested in trading for a player and not wanting to give up too much. But I think Saban is done trading for this year.

He will just sign a cheap FA or nobody.

HVACservice said:
If Poole played the "nickel back" this season that would have been a step in the right direction. What was Saban suppose to do? Automatically appoint Will Poole the starting corner over Howard?

I dont see the problem with Sabans statement.

Yeah that's true.... Poole was going to be the 5th dbac.. I never saw him starting over Howard.

will poole is a second year corner back he hasn't even really been tested yet

FiN.in.RI said:
Yeah that's true.... Poole was going to be the 5th dbac.. I never saw him starting over Howard.

It almost seemed like people were confusing being the "5th defensive back" on the field(As Saban was referring too).

With being the "5th defensive back" on the Cornerback Depth chart.

cnc66 said:
I don't get your post. You say he is full of crap, why? Because he told the truth ? I don't think you love Nick at all, I think you just might be a Saban hater. Still mad over Braylon ehh?

Boy...you really don't know me!...I've been accused of being a blind homer... :roflmao:

Mad over Braylon? Only if Ricky comes back and plays for the next 5 years....at a high level.

HVACservice said:
Im assuming that he was saying Poole was working towards being the nickel back.

Two safety`s and two starting corners.

Then Poole at the nickel spot.

Thats 5(th) defensive backs.
Exactly... Poole was my fifth defensive back.

Howard, Madison, Jones and whoever at FS... with Poole the nickel.

Section126 said:
"Will Poole was a second-year player, a developmental player at that position who hadn't played that much," Saban said in a transcript on the Dolphins' official Web site. "We were looking to see the best way to use him in our defense, whether it was to be a fifth defensive back, or any other way he could best contribute."

I like the way he phrased it personally.

He is a second year player and still developing, and in the second statement the key word is whether.

I mean he could of came out and said what he said in a completely different manner and been completely negative about it like:

We lost a good up and coming CB who showed flashes of being really good at times who was competing for a possible starting position.

fin-atic asked me to tell everyone that the season is over and our 2008 draft already looks like it sucks

Section126 said:
From the Finheaven front page:

Head Coach Nick Saban indicated Friday that the loss of cornerback Will Poole  who probably is out for the season with a knee injury  is not a major blow to the defense.

"Will Poole was a second-year player, a developmental player at that position who hadn't played that much," Saban said in a transcript on the Dolphins' official Web site. "We were looking to see the best way to use him in our defense, whether it was to be a fifth defensive back, or any other way he could best contribute."

The corner position is critical to the defense," Saban said. "I think that is the position that probably can put limitations on what you can do."

In an interview on 790-AM, Saban acknowledged an interest in former New England cornerback Ty Law, who is coming back from a broken foot.

"It makes it really, really difficult when a guy is coming off an injury to try to make a prediction as to what his productivity could be," Saban said.

Why is he downplaying Will Poole? The guy was a first round talent that was on the fast track to the starting unit.....

He also graded out higher according to Mel Phillips than Pat Surtain last year.....

I don't get why Saban had to do this.....maybe he is just fluffing it off so the team doesn't get down...afterall...we are a team....and no one guy is bigger than the sum of it's parts.

He might have been on Wanny's fast track but not apparently for Saban...He was an up and comer, but was not going to start this year. He would have challenged Howard, but I doubt Saban wants to go into the season with a 1st year corner with little playing experience in either college or the pros. Now, it would have been possible for Poole to outplay Howard in camps, but i rather doubt it. Howard doesn't seem to get much love here because, as usual, Wanny brought in a good player that doesn't fit his defense. (sound familiar)...He is a pretty good cover 2 CB ( in the Dungy/Fox defensive mold)
How that translates to Saban's D, I'm not sure...I don't think he uses the standard cover 2 in his backfield, but we'll have to see.

Trying to instill confidence is part of what he is doing.

The other is Howard looks to be the starter anyway. Poole could potentially be a starter soon. So you loose a potential, or a nickle or dime guy. Not quote as hard to replace those. Don't get me wrong I thought Poole looked awsome and could fill the empty shoes but nothing was guranteed. You don't let a promising players injury take all the wind out of your sails. Saban is very disappointed that Poole is hurt but he is the genral leading his troops to battle and another soldier will fill the void! He has to look at it that way. This team needs all the positive reinforcement it can get!

Come on!!! We all know Wanny's fast track is just good enough to make another teams roster. Look at the players the fins let go and what they did when they left that coaching staff. For God's sakes Fletcher sucked for us and then goes to SD and played pretty well for them. Coaching is why those players did not realize their potential. Wanny couldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom