"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn

The same people that will call them cheap for not overpaying are the same people who will complain about them overpaying for other teams crappy castoffs

IMO, its because thats what we do. we don't offer eric winston, a proven sure fire player at RT, what he's worth, and we give guys like artis hicks, and tyrell johnson the money we give them when they are far from as sure fire a player as eric winston. we give richard marshall the contract we gave him....

isn't that being cheap and overpaying for other teams castoffs. to me theres paying enough to get a guy, like what we should have done with eric, and than theres overpaying... if were talking a mil or two extra to winston, so we cant have a guy like artis hicks on the squad, I'm fine with that... if we come out and drop 5 mil extra on a guy thats above what all his other offers were, sure I'd say we overpaid.... just my 2 cents.

The only team that blew anything was Seattle. They paid $8mil/season to a player who's only other offer was $4mil/season. Nobody was in serious competition for Flynn. When free agency started, nobody even called Flynn. He sat on the shelf for 3 days before he even scheduled a trip somewhere. Seattle probably could have offered Flynn $5mil and he would have signed, but decided to pay him $8mil? That poor cap management imo. Thats still more than most starting QB's.

Last edited by a moderator:
They thought Flynn would be a great back up, they offered him backup money. It's that simple, on to the next one.

Flynn: all along, anyone without an ax to grind more or less agreed that Philbin was in a unique position to determine whether he wished to hitch his fledgling HC career wagon to a 7th round draft pick from an unsuccessful college QB transitional program with a 2 game sampling size, no matter how good it may have looked.

Well, when it turned out that only 1 team, the Seahawks, was sufficiently interested in him to pony up decent money and only 1 of 2 teams, the other being the Fins to show virtually any interest in him, hell, like Dylan sang: "It doesn't take a weatherman to know which way the wind blows!"

The hard-wired Pavlovians ain't gonna change their minds and will continue to demonize Ireland and the club for "missing out on/lowballing him." However, those who may indeed have been skeptical about this 2 game wonder within an offensive juggernaut who was drafted closer to Mr. Irrelevant than the 3rd round -but nevertheless, would have enthusiastically supported Flynn had the guy who knew him best wanted him, IMO now objectively understands that when it came to fulfilling his offensive vision, our new coach really didn't want him too much. :idk:

The only team that blew anything was Seattle. They paid $8mil/season to a player who's only other offer was $4mil/season. Nobody was in serious competition for Flynn. When free agency started, nobody even called Flynn. He sat on the shelf for 3 days before he even scheduled a trip somewhere. Seattle probably could have offered Flynn $5mil and he would have signed, but decided to pay him $8mil? That poor cap management imo. Thats still more than most starting QB's.
And to piggy-back off those thoughts, Green Bay decided not to franchise him and (possibly) get some return on their original investment. I guess they too knew that there wasn't very much interest/value in Flynn.

I dunno. Seattle was very much in love with Tannehill just as much as we supposedly are before signing Flynn. Like, their media was expecting Seattle to do everything they could to trade up ahead of us for Tannehill. It's not like they made a huge financial commitment to Flynn either.

As for this being just an Ireland decision. You don't get players the head coach doesn't want, and you don't ignore what your coach wants either.

You also don't do a lot of things Ireland has done, but they have happened.

if philbin didn't want flynn he would have answered the question "why isn't flynn a dolphin?"... with..." because I dont think hes an upgrade at the position", or " because matt flynn isn't a franchise guy"... instead of... " why don't you ask matt flynn why he isn't a dolphin?"...

i'm pretty confident philbin wanted matt flynn here....

if philbin didn't want flynn he would have answered the question "why isn't flynn a dolphin?"... with..." because I dont think hes an upgrade at the position", or " because matt flynn isn't a franchise guy"... instead of... " why don't you ask matt flynn why he isn't a dolphin?"...

i'm pretty confident philbin wanted matt flynn here....

Philbin doesn't strike me as the type of guy to throw someone under the bus. Don't think you will ever see him bash a player publicly.

Ireland asked Philbin his opinion on Flynn. Ireland then probly asked open ended questions about who else is out there who is better who could offer more for a hell of a lot less.
Philbin is here for a while and I am sure he would like to have a much better slate to run off next year when more money is available with cap going up.

We are taking steps by design and spending money was not on the table. Manning fiasco was the real farse. We absolutely had no business even discussing him with his outrageous 100 mil. The fact that Arizona was even considered serious by anyone shows you how full of crap the media is.

Back
Top Bottom