"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this." - Chris Mortensen regarding Flynn

I think you need to pay more attention. Your Pouncey's brother -- Marquise? -- was a Pro Bowler as a rookie center in 2010 I think with Pitt. He was the Steeler's first rounder that year. He was injured at least part of last year IIRC.

In 2009 two centers went in the first round: Alex Mack and Eric Wood. Mack made the Pro Bowl last season. Wood was put at RG for a while by the Bills previous regime but was moved back to center in 2010. He got hurt about mid-season in 2011, and was a big reason that the Bills OL went from bad to worse.

The thing about having a good center is that most fans like you don't even know your team has one or how important he is to the offense until he gets hurt and the manure hits the fan.

oh your right... I should really be paying more attention...

refresh my memory since I dont have a clue what Im talking about will you...

did pittsburgh already have a solid WR corps? did they already have a stout defense? did they already have a young up and coming running back? did they by chance have a franchise qb on the roster?

I mean, lets try to figure out if they built that team around a center, or if a center was the LAST piece to the puzzle....

He moved to receiver because he was a good enough athlete to play another position. whats more valuable third string qb or starting wr. Alot of misinformation in your post. He had two very solid college qb's ahead of him that have been in nfl training camps and actually made rosters. Peyton manning also was not the backup qb to start his freshman year , he was third string.

Right, he was a 3rd stringer behind two guys who are now 3rd stringers in the NFL.....and you want us to spend a top 10 pick on him?

You're calling Johnson a solid College QB? Seriously? This kid led A & M to an incredible 6-6 season. He was a 4th string QB last season with the Stillers....and they were still bringing guys in off the street instead of letting him see any playing time.

Even when the other incredible College QB, Stephen McGee twice had a shoulder injury, Tannehill still didnt sniff the field as a QB....

Stephen McGee has been the 3rd stringer behind the incredible Jon Kitna, and now he is STILL a clipboard carrier since the Cowboys brought in the AMAZING Kyle Orton :lol:

Bringing Payton Manning into this conversation is beyond ridiculous Lockz. He sat his Freshman season, then was the starter from there on out. He also set records for the SEC.... I know, it was ONLY the SEC, but hey, at least they were records...

Remind me again, how many records does Tannehill hold?

Sorry, can't agree with this either.

Sherman has seen Tannehill productive as a WR, but not a QB.

They can go and study game tape of Tannehill last year, but to be apples and apples, Flynn has 2 years worth of tape at LSU they can just as easily get their hands on.

As much as it seems to KILL everybody, I just don't think that impossible gem of a Franchise QB is, or has been there for us this year...and please please please don't go back to the ridiculous notion of throwing an entire season for it.

Here's food for thought, The Donko's are being highly praised even though nobody has any idea if Manning can even play again..... How bad is it going to be for THEM if he doesn't or plays one game, takes one hit and is done.

The media certainly helps to paint whatever picture they want.
It's our decision to pay attention or not.

Great post Confessor, especially the part highlighted in red.
I have been pretty consistent with my opinion that we draft a franchise QB next year. After RGIII and Luck, the rest are glorified 2nd tier guys. Tannehill and the rest are mediocre talent, too old for the investment, or projects. And, I wouldn't give Flynn that 2nd tier grade. He was a rightly a 7th round draft pick.

Great post Confessor, especially the part highlighted in red.
I have been pretty consistent with my opinion that we draft a franchise QB next year. After RGIII and Luck, the rest are glorified 2nd tier guys. Tannehill and the rest are mediocre talent, too old for the investment, or projects. And, I wouldn't give Flynn that 2nd tier grade. He was a rightly a 7th round draft pick.

To be completely honest, my judgement is still out on RGIII. I also saw quite a bit of that kid this past season...and to be honest, I have a funny feeling that the Rams completely fleeced Danny Snyder....but then again, he is a very very smart kid with incredible athletic ability. We shall see.

The rest of the QB class is very very very sub-par. Only way in hell Tannehill is even being talked about is because of this.

I definately would have takend ryan kerrigan, phil taylor, nate solder and prince amukamara over pouncey... and I may have even taken johnathon baldwin and costanzo as well. I liked adrian clayborn for sure, I thought he was a top ten pick. hell, mark ingram would have been better value at 15 than a center...

i liked stephen wisniewksi better than and I still like him better now... and he's just as versatile as pouncey, in fact I think he played guard all of last year and helped pave the way to a major rushing attack. I have to admit, that I knew a lot more about stephen though, being from big ten country and seeing him play more often...

the biggest difference in the two, is pouncey was taken a full round ahead of stephen. I'd be curious when the last time a center was taken with a top fifteen pick....

Phil Taylor would have been a huge reach at 15 and dline wasn't a need for the Phins going into that draft. Solder or Costanzo would have been good picks as they would have solved the RT problem but Pouncey had a good season and looks like he was worth the pick.

I like the AJ Edds comment. AJ EDDs was cut last year afer what I thought was a pretty good preseason of tackling. We picked him in the 4th round and he was supposed to be a very good cover LB that had a history of catching INTS. Well the PATS and Belechick picked him up right away and he is still on the PATS roster.

The PATS have let LB guyton go and have kept EDDs both cover LBs. Now we are inviting Guyton in for interviews. What does that day about our GM? Who knows more about Defense, our GM or Belechick? Another bad taste of letting talent go I say. We still cant cover the good TEs.

Edds was let go by the Pats midway through the season and ended up signing with the Colts.

"I think the Miami Dolphins blew this. Joe Philbin is the Dolphins head coach, he knows how good Matt Flynn is. I think he wanted Matt Flynn. I think they low bid him, I think the Seahawks stole him. They stole him for a very good price"

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/62169/video-roundtable-on-seahawks-matt-flynn

Have to admit I'm still hurt over losing Flynn. Every analyst I've heard seems to be convinced he's the real deal. A starter and potential franchise quarterback. IMHO, I agree, we blew it badly!

Isn't it funny that he's a starter and potential franchise guy now, but a few weeks ago before FA EVERYONE (media, talking heads, scouts, fans) everyone was questioning the fact that all he had was a 2 game resume and serious questions about whether he had the arm strength, accuracy, etc to be a franchise guy ??

blah, blah, blah....much as I bad mouth Mr. Loss, he said it himself..."if Joe Philbin had wanted Flynn, we'd have had him"...

phil taylor was a top 20 bpa all the way last year...no reach at all in the top 20...guy was murder senior bowl week...pounceys a stud though...he's probably moves the best of any pivot in football and he's got terrific feet and a real punch in his hands...did the position warrant that high a pick given our situation probably not but at least we got a 10 year fixture and top 3 center on a likely year in and year out basis...and a tough son of a gun...played hurt...played awfully strong also for a guy who didn't have the benefit of a offseason weight program and ota...pounceys one of the 5 best and keeper players on this roster...

Right, he was a 3rd stringer behind two guys who are now 3rd stringers in the NFL.....and you want us to spend a top 10 pick on him?

You're calling Johnson a solid College QB? Seriously? This kid led A & M to an incredible 6-6 season. He was a 4th string QB last season with the Stillers....and they were still bringing guys in off the street instead of letting him see any playing time.

Even when the other incredible College QB, Stephen McGee twice had a shoulder injury, Tannehill still didnt sniff the field as a QB....

Stephen McGee has been the 3rd stringer behind the incredible Jon Kitna, and now he is STILL a clipboard carrier since the Cowboys brought in the AMAZING Kyle Orton :lol:

Bringing Payton Manning into this conversation is beyond ridiculous Lockz. He sat his Freshman season, then was the starter from there on out. He also set records for the SEC.... I know, it was ONLY the SEC, but hey, at least they were records...

The point was as good as Manning is and was he still started as a thrid stringer at Tenn behind two guys that never were nfl players. Most players dont start as freshmen esp qb's. Brandon Weeden sat behind the great Zac robinson who is also a third stringer now.

Jerod johnson was a solid college qb he threw 67 tds and 27 int while throwing for over 8000 yards. he is the a and m leader in total offense and passing yards so yes he was a solid college qb

It figures. The Dolphins are cheap as hell. We don't want to pay for starters but we pay big money to back ups. Cheap

It figures. The Dolphins are cheap as hell. We don't want to pay for starters but we pay big money to back ups. Cheap
The Dolphins are not cheap. It is called placing value on certain players and sticking by it. Plus there is a little thing called the salary cap that needs to be followed.

The same people that will call them cheap for not overpaying are the same people who will complain about them overpaying for other teams crappy castoffs

Back
Top Bottom