I think Todd Perry could find himself out of a job... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think Todd Perry could find himself out of a job...

NYRicky34

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think we all saw the Todd Perry last year, that we expected the year before. Not flashy or noticeable, but a tough, solid all-around game, and consistency as both a pass blocker and run blocker. However, with his age getting up there, a fairly high salary, and a very intriguing young player behind him, I think Todd Perry could be one of the surprise cuts this August.

Taylor Whitley, I think, is our most underrated draft pick. What I love about him, which I loved about Seth McKinney, is that there's no downside really. In the 3rd round area, you can get two kinds of plays: The Larry Shannon (pure upside, very under-developed) or the solid, but not going to get a lot better type. Whitley is definetly the latter. He is a tough, experienced, technically sound pure guard who many scouts, and analysts believe could be a start as a rookie, and a 10 year type of guy. Like Perry, he's built a lot like a tackle, but doesn't have the movement skills to play outside. His feet are average or a little bit above average for a guard. He's a strong player, plays with a great base and always has good leverage in his form. Pass blocks well. Run blocks better. If he comes in and makes an impression in training camp, Perry could be on his way out. Especially with McKinney there for depth. This is a good player, make no mistake about that. And it's not like sticking a rookie in at Left Tackle, Quaterback, or Cornerback. He's a guard. Other than running back, that's the easiest spot to come in and play. If your a solid player; your protected on both sides, your not going to have a problem.

I like Perry a lot..but with age, salary concerns, and a potential rock solid Taylor Whitley looking over his shoulder, his job is not as safe as we all think.

He was one of the ones who was asked to take a pay cut and refused.

Whitley is actually one of the most likely to be starting in the next couple years. He was only the 5th guard taken and that was during a run on guards where like 3 went off the board in around 7 picks. That's the great thing about the draft is that guards aren't highly rated so you can pick up a solid guard in the 3rd easily.

Exactly. The common belief is that if you have two top tackles and a smart, athletic center, you can get away with having two average guards and still have a great line. But I don't agree with that, especially with the way we run our offense. A lot of what we do relies on straight forward run blocking by our guards, as well as their ability to get out in space, trap, and pull, probably even more than our center does, or as much, at least. As a guard, Whitley was a 3rd round prospect. Had he had a little quicker feet, and played tackle in college, with all of the same attributes; he would probably be an early to mid round two type of guy.

Actually, from what I read... Perry was asked to take a cut and AGREED, but the Dolphins decided they did not need the money to pursue anything, so decided to put a hold on it. I beleive if the Dolphins have a need to get additional money, they will again approach him and he would agree to a salary reduction, however, we have plenty of money to sign Griese... at the numbers that both sides are talking, be able to sign our rookies, and still have a bit left over for any needs that may pop up due to injury.

I doubt we will see any purely salary-cap related cuts during the remainder of the offseason... we don't have any pressing needs, and won't be bringing in any hihg-salary guys... we still have some room under the cap, so I think our roster is pretty much set.

Perry was a good solid RG. He did not do an outstanding job but he did not do a horrible job. Most of Ricky's long runs were to the right side you know and remember a replay when the announcer was pointing out Todd's excellent block. I think it was the Chicago game.

Originally posted by NYRicky34
I think we all saw the Todd Perry last year, that we expected the year before. Not flashy or noticeable, but a tough, solid all-around game, and consistency as both a pass blocker and run blocker. However, with his age getting up there, a fairly high salary, and a very intriguing young player behind him, I think Todd Perry could be one of the surprise cuts this August.

Taylor Whitley, I think, is our most underrated draft pick. What I love about him, which I loved about Seth McKinney, is that there's no downside really. In the 3rd round area, you can get two kinds of plays: The Larry Shannon (pure upside, very under-developed) or the solid, but not going to get a lot better type. Whitley is definetly the latter. He is a tough, experienced, technically sound pure guard who many scouts, and analysts believe could be a start as a rookie, and a 10 year type of guy. Like Perry, he's built a lot like a tackle, but doesn't have the movement skills to play outside. His feet are average or a little bit above average for a guard. He's a strong player, plays with a great base and always has good leverage in his form. Pass blocks well. Run blocks better. If he comes in and makes an impression in training camp, Perry could be on his way out. Especially with McKinney there for depth. This is a good player, make no mistake about that. And it's not like sticking a rookie in at Left Tackle, Quaterback, or Cornerback. He's a guard. Other than running back, that's the easiest spot to come in and play. If your a solid player; your protected on both sides, your not going to have a problem.

I like Perry a lot..but with age, salary concerns, and a potential rock solid Taylor Whitley looking over his shoulder, his job is not as safe as we all think.

I think you're counting way too much on this guy's ability to pick up NFL offenses, the strength needed to handle NFL veterans and the copletely different speeds/talents of the game at a pro level in his rookie year. This is not a likely scenario. I'm not even comfortable with having all these rookies as our only backups.
IMO Perry's job is very safe unless we bring in a LT at some point and allow Dix to move back to guard.

Which is not going to happen as stated by DW, and Spielman.

Re: Re: I think Todd Perry could find himself out of a job...

Originally posted by Trekbiz

I think you're counting way too much on this guy's ability to pick up NFL offenses, the strength needed to handle NFL veterans and the copletely different speeds/talents of the game at a pro level in his rookie year. This is not a likely scenario. I'm not even comfortable with having all these rookies as our only backups.
IMO Perry's job is very safe unless we bring in a LT at some point and allow Dix to move back to guard.

I agree trek, perry was our best linemen other than nails IMO but perry lasted all season. offensive linemen need seasoning in the pro game. especially third round draft picks.

Trek, believe me, I understand the jump from being a good college player, to being an NFL starter, especially right away. But there are two things you need to understand.

First of all, I was not trying to say that this is what I think will happen. I am saying that with Whitley being one of the more "NFL Ready" lineman to come out of this draft, combined with the other issues I mentioned, it is a possibility. A strong one? Probably not. But it's certainly out there.

Second of all, obviously the strength of the opposition is a big issue. But this kid played at Texas A&M against some top quality, NFL caliber lineman on a weekly basis. He started for three years. He's 321 pounds, and a very strong, tough player. Obviously, there is a big adjustment he needs to make. But he's got the tools, and if you think he's going to get overpowered, overmatched etc, just ask Seth McKinney, an EXTREMELY similar player who was thrown into a starting guard position on very short notice, and without much collegiate experience there. He did a pretty solid job, we all know that. You give this kid a chance to start right off the bat, when he can prepare and use his experience and ability, and I feel he would more than hold his own.

And I know about Todd Perry. I like the guy a lot, he was one of our top lineman last year, no doubt about it. I talked about that. But there's the POSSIBILITY that a younger (upside), similar, less expensive player could be a better option at some point, and it could be a lot earlier than some of us think. The two most important words of the off-season: We'll see.

Wasn't this the kid who played next to Seth also? That has to help cut the learning curve when the possible guy next to you is someone you have a couple years with and know their tendencies.

I think he was solid all year. I remember him having the key block on at least 3 of Ricky's long runs last year. We need some veterans out there. We're probably gonna carry only 8 linemen and 2 of them(Smith and Whitley) are rookies so I don't see us cutting Perry.

Right now, I think McKinney's probably a better guard than Whitley. I don't think Whitley has the strength to warrant Perry's removal. McKinney seems to be the stronger of the two. And he's certainly got the experience factor. But that's what training camp's for. We'll see what the story REALLY is.

Well I think they are really building a line of the future with hopefully Wade as the 'elder'

RT- Wade
RG- Whitley
Center- McKinney
LG-Nails if he comes back healthy or some future drafty/FA pickup
OT-Smith

With Provost hopefully floating around as a backup.

We have need to overhaul our line for a long while so I'm guessing this is the way the team hopes it shapes up although I am sure we will probably still hit FA and the draft a couple more times before we get a comfortable young line built.

Um...yeah. We're going yo take an O-line with no veteran depth, and cut one of our best veterans off it? Heck, we might cut Jay Fiedler and start Sage too, but I wouldn't bet .20 cents on it.

Back
Top Bottom