"I would be mad about the trade we made if _____ were there at #8" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I would be mad about the trade we made if _____ were there at #8"

Retnuhrace

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Realistically, of course. Taking into account the players we received as well. For me, it'd be Jalen Ramsey. He's been falling slightly due to him only having 3 career INTs, and while it's unlikely he'd make it down that far, I'd say it's possible. And I'm worried about it.

While I love Myles Jack as a player, I wouldn't be too upset if we missed him because of the trade, simply because of his injury concerns. I have a feeling this is the answer many will have to this question.

Of course, if a player like Tunsil or Bosa happened to fall, which is extraordinarily unlikely, I'd be quite upset as well.

The trade was idiotic regardless. One of the many reasons why is because it is likely one of those will slip. With 2 QBs assured to go, the need for teams to stock up on pass rushers and ot, some badly run team potentially taking elliot and the fact that there are always surprises one of those 4 elite players of need for us dropping to 8 is extremely possible. We should ALL be VERY unhappy when one of them does. It's going to make draft day absolutely brutal.

I don't see how this can be answered until we know how Maxwell/KA work out. Nonetheless, Bosa.

I don't see how this can be answered until we know how Maxwell/KA work out. Nonetheless, Bosa.
You nailed it. How do you evaluate the trade by just focusing on one part of it..the swapping of ones. We seemed to get back two starters in the other half of it. Lets wait to see what they bring,along with the player we pick at 13, to offset the player who would have fell to us at 8.

You nailed it. How do you evaluate the trade by just focusing on one part of it..the swapping of ones. We seemed to get back two starters in the other half of it. Lets wait to see what they bring,along with the player we pick at 13, to offset the player who would have fell to us at 8.

Add to that the dirty little secret fans try to avoid - most R1 picks fail to live to potential (better than average). And a significant number of "can't miss" picks are on that list. For that reason, I hate trading up - one (or more) less chance of hitting a quality guy.
Tangentially, that's why I hate those mindless day-after articles grading a team's draft. I'm sure the grade for washington getting RGIII was quite good.

Add to that the dirty little secret fans try to avoid - most R1 picks fail to live to potential (better than average). And a significant number of "can't miss" picks are on that list. For that reason, I hate trading up - one (or more) less chance of hitting a quality guy.
Tangentially, that's why I hate those mindless day-after articles grading a team's draft. I'm sure the grade for washington getting RGIII was quite good.

Not sure about your statement but at least,. while first rounders don't all come through, they do have a much higher percentage of being successful than all the other rounds, much less of a crap shot but yes its not 100%. Enough of them come through to make pretty much all FO's always having the option of moving up on their table. If Myles Jack was there at 8 Id trade a 3rd to the Browns happily. Losing a 3rd rd and getting Myles Jack, Maxwell and Alonso, hey its all a crap shot and everybody plays the percentages...

I get what you are saying. In this particular case we get two starters to move down 5 spots. I am fine with this trade. But balance that with the realization that most Hall of Fame players and All Pros are drafted high, the %chance of hitting one of these drops quickly as you move down. Walk through the NFL drafts year by year and look at all of the great players that come early in round 1. Pretty amazing. Start here and walk backwards through the years.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_NFL_draft

I notice if you eliminate the Browns picks, the likelihood of hitting on your first round pick goes way up.

The trade was idiotic regardless. One of the many reasons why is because it is likely one of those will slip. With 2 QBs assured to go, the need for teams to stock up on pass rushers and ot, some badly run team potentially taking elliot and the fact that there are always surprises one of those 4 elite players of need for us dropping to 8 is extremely possible. We should ALL be VERY unhappy when one of them does. It's going to make draft day absolutely brutal.
Methinks you grossly underestimate the talent of Kiko Alonso. We haven't had a really decent middle linebacker since Zach Thomas retired and if fully healthy, Kiko has the natural talent to fix a perennial problem. 2nd year back after his surgery, he will be better than what he showed in Philadelphia. Mogwai - I greatly respect your views, but Maxwell is fired up and should be OK and hopefully we still get a decent player at #13. Feel free to chargrill me if I'm wrong. I think that Tannenbaum may have negotiated a good deal.

When you realize the odds of getting a decent starter round 1 is a 50/50 proposition, getting two players to move down 5 spots (still with the opportunity to get our target anyway) it looks good to me. We also keep a third rd comp pick next year because we didn't have to sign players at these positions as free agents.

We gotta get over this. It's done. We moved back 5 places for two very possible starters. Can anyone predict who at 8 will be our savior? I doubt it. Besides, if Tannenbaum wanted to move back up to 8 I'm sure he could and make us believe it was a good deal. Don't worry, be happy.

Methinks you grossly underestimate the talent of Kiko Alonso. We haven't had a really decent middle linebacker since Zach Thomas retired and if fully healthy, Kiko has the natural talent to fix a perennial problem. 2nd year back after his surgery, he will be better than what he showed in Philadelphia. Mogwai - I greatly respect your views, but Maxwell is fired up and should be OK and hopefully we still get a decent player at #13. Feel free to chargrill me if I'm wrong. I think that Tannenbaum may have negotiated a good deal.
Hey spike, I really like your willingness to open a dialogue about this. LB is an essential need for this team and despite the injuries Kiko's worth the risk in attempting to address that need. The pressing issue is the value given up. Due to the lack of defensive talent on this team, I'm happy to take Kiko and even Maxwell on the roster and hope for the best. It's the value given up that makes things so difficult. Both their stocks are on the decline due to injury and in Maxwell's case his contract which was prohibitive to the Eagles and they were happy to be rid of it. Now you can look at a trade value chart and see that moving from 8th to 13th is worth a high 3rd. But that's out of context and in a vacuum. Because in actuality a top 10 pick is a much more valuable commodity. Teams have completely mortgaged their future for 1 and 2 because of their QB need. That's only increased the value of that 8 pick because the very elite players at the top of the draft have a good chance of slipping down. So it has a considerable amount of value as a trade asset on draft day, but also would have provided us with an opportunity to potentially pick up a Ramsey or Bosa or Tunsil or Jack which honestly is worth quite a bit more than either Kiko or Maxwell. Who with their declined values could still have been acquired for far less than giving up the chance at a top of the draft talent or trade asset.

Hey spike, I really like your willingness to open a dialogue about this. LB is an essential need for this team and despite the injuries Kiko's worth the risk in attempting to address that need. The pressing issue is the value given up. Due to the lack of defensive talent on this team, I'm happy to take Kiko and even Maxwell on the roster and hope for the best. It's the value given up that makes things so difficult. Both their stocks are on the decline due to injury and in Maxwell's case his contract which was prohibitive to the Eagles and they were happy to be rid of it. Now you can look at a trade value chart and see that moving from 8th to 13th is worth a high 3rd. But that's out of context and in a vacuum. Because in actuality a top 10 pick is a much more valuable commodity. Teams have completely mortgaged their future for 1 and 2 because of their QB need. That's only increased the value of that 8 pick because the very elite players at the top of the draft have a good chance of slipping down. So it has a considerable amount of value as a trade asset on draft day, but also would have provided us with an opportunity to potentially pick up a Ramsey or Bosa or Tunsil or Jack which honestly is worth quite a bit more than either Kiko or Maxwell. Who with their declined values could still have been acquired for far less than giving up the chance at a top of the draft talent or trade asset.

If we had been in a position to draft Ramsey or Tunsil, different story. (Bosa not so much due to my fear of injury given his genes, Jack not so much due to increased risk with knee history). We weren't in that position. To get to that position it would have taken 2 first round picks in trade. Too rich for my blood.

Back
Top Bottom