I wouldnt be shocked if Lawrence=Only Top 10 QB | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I wouldnt be shocked if Lawrence=Only Top 10 QB

I, on the other hand, would be quite shocked. There are some seriously QB-needy teams in this offseason, my friend. An example of this desperation is the move by the Rams to acquire Stafford. I actually think it is more likely that four QB’s go in the top ten, than only one.

Now, whether or not more than one QB deserves to be drafted that high, is another question.

Last edited:
I will be surprised if Lawrence is the only top 10 QB. But, you bring up a very good point. Without the combine, the scouts are a bit more tight-lipped about their rankings because it is less obvious in which tier these guys are ranked. I remember when Jake Locker was drafted #8, Blaine Gabbert #10, and Christian Ponder #12. Most people thought all three were overdrafted, and history proved that correct. But, with today's rookie salary scale the QB position is not only no longer a death-trap for teams who choose poorly, it's actually a jackpot for teams that draft a QB who can start immediately, because they save a ton off an established veteran vs. the cap. So, their value, which was already sky high, actually went UP as prospects because the cap savings is huge and if they bust, it's not really a big deal. So, the bidding for young QB's has shot through the roof since the Locker/Gabbert/Ponder days.

That's why I'll be surprised if we only see 1 in the top 10. Talent-wise, there are some red flags. Wilson looks to be the best of the bunch, but he's a one-hit wonder who didn't play the toughest schedule. Fields has high upside and proved himself against the best competition (like Clemson), but is still raw and very inconsistent, so he'll need development. Then there is Lance, who has both red flags, but may end up being the best of the 3. It will be tough to see guess how these guys' careers may go, and I think it's easy to see how a team like New England, Washington, Chicago or Indianapolis might be the soft landing for these guys. But realistically, it's hard to see how so many teams that either have QB issues or new coaches pass on these guys. Those teams include New York (Jets), Atlanta, Philadelphia, Detroit, Carolina and Denver--all of whom currently have top 10 picks. Then there's the real possibility those other teams or a New Orleans trade up to get a guy. The value of having a QB to groom or play while under a rookie contract is very appealing to a lot of GM's.

I will be surprised if Lawrence is the only top 10 QB. But, you bring up a very good point. Without the combine, the scouts are a bit more tight-lipped about their rankings because it is less obvious in which tier these guys are ranked. I remember when Jake Locker was drafted #8, Blaine Gabbert #10, and Christian Ponder #12. Most people thought all three were overdrafted, and history proved that correct. But, with today's rookie salary scale the QB position is not only no longer a death-trap for teams who choose poorly, it's actually a jackpot for teams that draft a QB who can start immediately, because they save a ton off an established veteran vs. the cap. So, their value, which was already sky high, actually went UP as prospects because the cap savings is huge and if they bust, it's not really a big deal. So, the bidding for young QB's has shot through the roof since the Locker/Gabbert/Ponder days.

That's why I'll be surprised if we only see 1 in the top 10. Talent-wise, there are some red flags. Wilson looks to be the best of the bunch, but he's a one-hit wonder who didn't play the toughest schedule. Fields has high upside and proved himself against the best competition (like Clemson), but is still raw and very inconsistent, so he'll need development. Then there is Lance, who has both red flags, but may end up being the best of the 3. It will be tough to see guess how these guys' careers may go, and I think it's easy to see how a team like New England, Washington, Chicago or Indianapolis might be the soft landing for these guys. But realistically, it's hard to see how so many teams that either have QB issues or new coaches pass on these guys. Those teams include New York (Jets), Atlanta, Philadelphia, Detroit, Carolina and Denver--all of whom currently have top 10 picks. Then there's the real possibility those other teams or a New Orleans trade up to get a guy. The value of having a QB to groom or play while under a rookie contract is very appealing to a lot of GM's.
What if Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones and Trask all go in the top half of the first round!

Top 10 prospect for us at 18!

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the quarterback position this year because Miami has Tua.

But it sounds like Lawrence, Wilson and Fields are considered potential franchise quarterbacks. Lance and Jones are talked about as first rounders.

There are so many teams that need quarterbacks, including quite a few picking in the top 10. So, it seems likely that those quarterbacks go early.

Are you shitting me!?!

They're fan base won't over react to a bad season. They've had to deal with getting Nick Foles a year too late.

They'll appreciate the **** out of Trevor. Don't kid yourself...

I wouldn't be shocked if this happened... Indeed, I would know that I'd eaten some bad mushrooms the night before and was only dreaming.

It won't go this way. This is a QB year as the prices being paid for Stafford, Goff, Wentz and Watson show.

3 minimum. QBs get over drafted all the time and this year will be no exception.

If Sewell and Smith are there at 3 then the Dolphins have an interesting decision. I personally would like them to 6-8 picks and hope the 2nd best Tackle is available. I have a good feeling Smith will be the first WR drafted but not in the top 5. Trading down can fix a lot of issues. Draft a top 3 tackle, a top WR at 18, and get an extra 2nd for a RB or defense.

Appears at least some NFL people aren't high on Fields (based on plugged-in mocks), but, man, that'd be weird to me. Of Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields, I see situation determining who looks the best in the NFL - unless there is some character issue I'm not aware of. They're all really talented. Lance is more of a wildcard (needs the most work), but he also has the talent to hit big.

How many teams in the Top 10 are so set at QB that they can pass up a blue-chip talent at the most important position? If you're not good enough to provide a quality situation for a young QB, let whoever you draft sit a year, but it's likely that Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson are better prospects than anyone in the 2022 class.

Back
Top Bottom