Icing the Kicker Rule | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Icing the Kicker Rule

Well said. The unsportsmanlike penalty against New Orleans is another good example. That hit on the Minnesota receiver essentially cost the Saints a couple of yards since it happened inside the 10 yard line. Maybe that should be half the distance and then added to the kickoff to make up the additional 15 yards.

I also have never liked the spike rule. With the passing game being so easy now, giving up a down to stop the clock is such a huge offensive advantage. It's essentially a timeout for a loss of down. It does allow teams to come way back and that's exciting unless you're the team trying to hang onto the lead.

Nah just let all penalty yards acrrue over the course of the game and allow teams yo use them when ever they want. That would be fun. The ball at the 50 and you have 20 extra yards due to penalties in the bank, coach says go on move the ball up to the 30. The strategy becomes when do you use your yards do you wait till the end of the game? Do you use them to counter the opponent trying to use their yards? Team A "We'll use 10 of our yards now" - Team B "Well we'll just use 15 of ours now to push you back an additional 5 yards." Heck if you have 60 yards of penalty yards in the bank you could either instantly move into scoring position in the final 2 minutes of a game or push you opponent from your 20 all the way back to their own 20. It would be deadly.

Yeah, good point on the spike rule. How is that NOT the same as intentional grounding? It should be.

Kicking timeouts should be IMO 3 seconds before kick and no later....
I don't see how that would be possible. Coach: "Timeout" Ref: "Nope, he's going to kick it in 2 seconds." The referees would need to look into the future.

How about the rule where a fumble into the opponents endzone and subsequently out of bounds, gives the ball to the opponent at the 20? That has got to be the worst NFL rule hands down.

How about the rule where a fumble into the opponents endzone and subsequently out of bounds, gives the ball to the opponent at the 20? That has got to be the worst NFL rule hands down.
How would you address it? The only realistic option I see is that the fumbling team gets possession at the spot where they fumbled, so in that scenario the back of the endzone would be treated as out of bounds essentially.

I thought it was funny when they asked Rex Ryan what he did in that situation.....I am sure he had a flashback to last year!

What the research shows is that making people who are highly skilled at something "nervous" has virtually no effect on their performance. Think about how many free throws are made seemingly effortlessly when the game is on the line.

What has a negative effect on performance is having them take something done on "auto-pilot" (muscle memory) and making them think about the actual physical movement involved.

Think of how little you think about brushing your teeth when you do it. It's done via muscle memory. So are these kicks and free throws.

I doubt a time-out makes a kicker think more about the intricate process of kicking the ball. Chances are it does nothing.

Then again if you have a time-out to spare, what is there to lose. I doubt the time-out makes them kick any better, either.

The rules of the game need to be reworked such that it is NEVER an advantage to the team that commits a penalty.

Fumble out of the endzone should not result in the other team receiving the ball - or if they do change the rule that says that a team fumbles out of bounds keeps the ball - as it stands now fumbling team maintains possession and gains yardage if the ball roles forward on its way out of bounds. The endzone is another boundary - so with the rule as it is now - The fumbling team should get the ball . Here the NFL is inconsistent around how it treats a team for making a mistake (fumbling).

Fumbles forward should be brought back to where the ball was fumbled - I noticed the Patriots got a first down by fumbling the ball forward on Thursday evening - mistakes can gain you an advantage in dynamic play of the game - but not granted to you after the play by the refs.

Penalties need to be taken immediately or declined immediately and not accumulated because the game is an unfolding drama or saga or story on the battlefield. It is sequential in that way and should remain that way.

Refs can create a hand signal that counts down to the 3 second clock that offers the opposing team a chance to call timeout. Offense can call timeout down to the last possible moment. Then all guess work is taken out of "the icing" process.

Take the result of the game out of the ref's hands.

Refs use their subjective judgement every play - so the thing the NFL needs to look at is intra game calls - or are the calls made consistently for both sides during a game. Every game is called differently - so within game consistency is a problem - change those rules that create advantage for the team committing the penalty.

The nfl has done a good job with review.

Its not perfect but its better.

It takes too long which is a technical issue but 2 reviews is good - mandatory change of possession and score reviews seem to work too.

Well said. The unsportsmanlike penalty against New Orleans is another good example. That hit on the Minnesota receiver essentially cost the Saints a couple of yards since it happened inside the 10 yard line. Maybe that should be half the distance and then added to the kickoff to make up the additional 15 yards.

I also have never liked the spike rule. With the passing game being so easy now, giving up a down to stop the clock is such a huge offensive advantage. It's essentially a timeout for a loss of down. It does allow teams to come way back and that's exciting unless you're the team trying to hang onto the lead.
The spike rule breaks a rule now, just no official will enforce it

The spike rule breaks a rule now, just no official will enforce it

Not only does the intentional grounding rule specify that it is only a foul when facing loss of yardage due to defensive pressure, but there is also a clause for clock stoppage if done immediately upon receiving the snap. IOW, spiking the ball to stop the clock is listed and permitted under NFL rules.

Last edited:
I don't care how it's justified, I think icing the kicker is a b**ch move. It involves absolutely no football skill and no talent. Just a cheap way to mess with the player and it's out of the spirit of the game. It's also just a matter of time before someone gets hurt or has their career ended on a meaningless play that ended up being a time out.

It's also just a matter of time before someone gets hurt or has their career ended on a meaningless play that ended up being a time out.

I'm not sure I follow... if the team didn't call a timeout the play would have still be ran and the player likely would have still be injured. How would the timeout cause a a severe injury on the play?

I'd like to take kickers out altogether. 165 lb soccer players who play 7 snaps a contest shouldn't have such a massive impact on football games. Give each team 10 plays from their own 15 and all this icing the kicker nonsense is forgotten immediately.

Punters would soon join their extinct counterparts ... and you don't even have to do anything. The problem would fix itself.

I'm not sure I follow... if the team didn't call a timeout the play would have still be ran and the player likely would have still be injured. How would the timeout cause a a severe injury on the play?
If they are injured on the subsequent play after the timeout.

Back
Top Bottom