If Andrews is gone at #20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Andrews is gone at #20

BSQX4

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Let's assume for the heck of it that Andrews is gone when it's our pick at #20 do we 1) take Vernon Carey 2) take Justin Smiley or 3) take the best reciever on the board, for example Michael Clayton, Lee Evans, Rashaun Woods or Michael Jenkins or 4) try like hell to trade down. My vote here would be take Justin Smiley, a guy who is a tireless worker with a terrific passion for the game and by the way is one of the fastest offensive lineman in the class. A high character guy that comes in a starts at right guard as a rookie. I like Smiley :D

IMO, Miami takes Michael Clayton if he's there regardless. If he's gone and Andrews is there, they take Andrews. If neither are there, they trade down.

What I hear on ESPN Insider is with Mike Williams out of the draft Clayton is making a late push for 3rd best WR in the draft on teams' draft boards...bumping Reggie Williams. He didn't wow people with his speed but he is a complete package at WR.

BTW I can't see the Phins passing on Andrews to take a WR...and the reason is because of David Boston and what he would make of it. We've got this gaping hole on the right side of the OL, and we pass on a devastating RT run blocker to take another WR? Both Boston and Chambers won't take that in stride...and they'd be right not to. It means one of them is leaving....sooner than they expect. Its just that if Andrews is gone, ok, you can take refuge in the best player available argument. But with Andrews there, its just BLATANT. If the moles say the Phins are really excited about Clayton, its because they sense correctly that Andrews likely won't be there.

If thats the situation, I really hope we can trade back and pickup another high draft pick...maybe round 2 or early round 3.

I think we can grab quality at OL, LB, or WR there. Loseman wouldnt be a bad pick up either.

I don't see any team that will take Andrews unless Cleveland trades down. Right now, Andrews has too many question marks to be a top 15 pick. No one between Tampa Bay at 15 and Miami at 20 needs an offensive tackle.

I'll go on record right now saying that Shawn Andrews will be there. I will also add that if he is there and Michael Clayton is there, they will go with Clayton. Clayton could go as high as 13 though.

KBISBACK said:
I'll go on record right now saying that Shawn Andrews will be there. I will also add that if he is there and Michael Clayton is there, they will go with Clayton. Clayton could go as high as 13 though.

Wow. That would be a huge surprise. I don't see us passing Andrews though unless the FO is really worried about his weight / sinus issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you also have to take into account that Tony Wise is the OL coach. He coached with Jimmy Johnson for a long time and is one of the OL coaches in the league that would rather get offensive linemen late in the draft.

However, I feel they are high enough on Andrews that they will take him at 20 unless Clayton is there. I just believe they are higher on Clayton.

I don't anticipate Miami trading down. I do anticipate Andrews being there. I will be very surprised if he isn't. Chances are, Andrews will be the pick. I feel Clayton will eventually go higher. This thing is so fluid right now though that nothing will be settled until about mid night between Friday and Saturday.

I agree that Clayton could go as high as 13, but Andrews could go as high as 9...or even 7 if Cleveland just decides to say fvck'it.

I don't anticipate Miami trading down. I do anticipate Andrews being there. I will be very surprised if he isn't. Chances are, Andrews will be the pick. I feel Clayton will eventually go higher. This thing is so fluid right now though that nothing will be settled until about mid night between Friday and Saturday.

If I were in the same city as you, I'd place a wager on Andrews being available. Its not that I'm soooo sure that he won't be, I'm just thinking that since you're so sure he will be, you'd give me 2:1 or 3:1 odds :)

The gaping hole on the right side of our line MUST be filled in. This is a HUGE need. IF Andrews is there he is our guy, you can bet the ranch on it. My question was what if he's not there and I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to be the case. Spielman would have to have a very compelling lineman that will be sitting there in the third round to pull the trigger on Michael Clayton in round one and of course, the great point by C.K., what message does this send to Boston and Chambers? To my way of thinking stay with O-Line and take Smiley or Carey if the F.O. likes him better.

KBISBACK said:
IMO, Miami takes Michael Clayton if he's there regardless. If he's gone and Andrews is there, they take Andrews. If neither are there, they trade down.

I agree, except I think if both are gone...they'll look at Darnell Dockett before moving down. However, if we wind up going DT, I'd rather drop down far enough to pick up a 2nd, then take Starks or Tubbs.

Andrews is worth taking at #20 and he fills our biggest need. WR simply isn't as big a need as OT and taking Andrews at #20 isn't reaching. If Shawn Andrews is available at #20, we have to take him.

If Andrews is taken at #20, we should try to trade down a few spots and get either Carey or Smiley.

KBISBACK said:
I don't see any team that will take Andrews unless Cleveland trades down. Right now, Andrews has too many question marks to be a top 15 pick. No one between Tampa Bay at 15 and Miami at 20 needs an offensive tackle.

Some other team may trade up to the late teens to draft Andrews before we do (if he falls that far).

If Andrews is off the board, I'd imagine the top player remaining on our board would one of the WRs (Clayton, Evans, Williams, etc.).

If the F.O. thinks they can get value by trading down, then they'll do that.

ckparrothead said:
BTW I can't see the Phins passing on Andrews to take a WR...and the reason is because of David Boston and what he would make of it. We've got this gaping hole on the right side of the OL, and we pass on a devastating RT run blocker to take another WR? Both Boston and Chambers won't take that in stride...and they'd be right not to. It means one of them is leaving....sooner than they expect. Its just that if Andrews is gone, ok, you can take refuge in the best player available argument. But with Andrews there, its just BLATANT. If the moles say the Phins are really excited about Clayton, its because they sense correctly that Andrews likely won't be there.

I don't think Chambers will be a fin next year I think Chris will do everything in his power to have an outstanding season and shop himself in the FA market. I have not read anything about Chris restructuring and I don't think we will.
It's to bad too because I honestly believe Chris is comming in to his own and could end up as one of the best WR's in the league and we will probably lose his sevices......what else is new! :cry:

Back
Top Bottom