If Denver wins, we would have been out of the playoffs with 11 wins anyways | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Denver wins, we would have been out of the playoffs with 11 wins anyways

the new playoff system is good. now teams can actually focus on winning their division, instead of sneaking in the back door with a wildcard spot. it makes the league more competitive.. this time the dolphins got the bad end of the deal. better luck next time.
even if the dolphins backed into the playoffs, they would not have done any damage. they would have been outcoached and outplayed.

Look at it this way. If the league had realigned a year earlier in 2001, then the Titans would have made the playoffs by winning the AFC South with a 7-9 record. 3 teams with better records would not have made the playoffs, including a 10-6 team. Also Miami, with 4 more victories than the Titans, would have played their wild card game in Tennessee. Does that seem really fair to everyone here?

BTW, I'm not even trying to blame how the league is divided and it's playoff competitors selected for Miami missing the playoffs this season, they had their opportunities and blew it. I'm just saying the system that's in place will eventually screw some teams in the future.

I love the 7-team, 1 bye per conference suggestion made earlier in the year(when they talked about a new playoff system).

A division which is hard fought

doesn't necessarily suck. I could imagine a togh year when all the teams in our division were competitive and it was won with 9-7 for example. Doesn't mean all the teams in the division suck. They might al be capable of beating the quality in the other divisions.

I like it this way. You have to compete with and beat your regular foes.

Look at KC's schedule and tell me they're value for a 12-3 record. Nobody who plays them in the playoffs will fear them greatly.

Lets make this sound even worse.... if we went 11-5 and still lost out on a spot.... then BAL or CIN goes at 9-7....

Would THAT tick you off a bit? That was a very possible scenario. Heck imagine if BAL and CIN lost the last two games. Then 8-8 would have gotten them in while we could possily have been sitting at 11-5 and out.

I don't like the playoff system the way it is for the most part. The only thing that I do like it is the way it makes it a bigger deal to win your division. One of these days there will be a team with a 7-9 record win a division and a team with a 9-7 or 10-6 record will be left out and no matter how you look at it that is not right.

There is not a whole lot of justice in life - get used to it. The playoff system works for the league because most teams are not eliminated untill the final stages of the season. If the Dolfins snuck in with a bad record we would not be complaining.

Originally posted by relive1972
The NFL puts way to much importance on winng a division. It's possible, and it will happen one season, that a sub .500 team wins it's division, gets in the playoffs as no worse than a 4th seed, meanwhile teams with better records are either 5th or 6th seeds or not making the playoffs. The NFL should seriously consider seeding each conference according to record. If all 4 teams in a particular division make it, so be it. No team should be automatically given a playoff spot and a 4th seed for playing in and winning a crappy division.

That's how i see it as well. But awhile back, I made mention of it because in the worst wierd case scenario, it is mathematically possible for a 3-13 team win it's division by a slew of strange tie-breakers and there is just NO way that a team like that warrents a playoff trip while a 10-11 team sits home.

So many what ifs and noone cares that winning your division is the only thing that matters. If you don't win your division you're depending on others to help you out.

THAT is what's not right. Win your games you're supposed to, a few games that are close and win your division. We don't have this conversation otherwise.

New England has less talent and more wins, they clearly deserve to go for winning the division.

We didn't and are whining because the help we were depending on to get in, didn't come.

No I am sick of this NFL. The playoff system and everything. Parity is ridiculous.

That is why the NFL was more popular before, in the early 90's and mid 80's. You knew one team was gonna kick this little team's *** and yet sometimes they were upset.

When two powerhouses faced off it made incredible games back then. Now it looks like any other game.

The NFL is the most popular sport in the country by a WIDE margin.

Parity has improved the popularity of the league because fans of every town have a chance now, not just the two dynasty teams of the era.

You liked that? That was the worst time of football to me. You always knew who was going to be there.

49ers in 80's, Cowboys in early 90's, Bronco's or Packers middle 90's, Steelers or Cowboys in 70's.

Having the chance for any team to win and go to the playoffs after being 3-13 the year before is what makes this league great.

Not complaining and bitching because we had to rely to on another team to get us in and shame on them for going and thinking of their own team and winning games they should. While we lose games against the Texans and can't hold a lead late against the Pats. Not to mention getting completely ripped by a Titans team that looks ordinary now.

Because there are four divisions and each division winner gets in. Then the two best teams remainging only leaves for two wildcards due to the fact six teams get in.

I find it pitiful. The best fans are gone. It almost feels as if it is set up this way as well. And as I said there are no big showdowns between powerhouses anymore.

Back
Top Bottom