If Fletcher and Greenwood get beat out... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Fletcher and Greenwood get beat out...

Originally posted by inFINSible
Don't we already have one of the largest college scouting staffs in the NFL?

I'm not sure...but I'd be more interested in knowing how much we SPEND on scouting, than the actual number of scouts. WHO are we using as scouts? Are we just getting anybody we can, or are we going for the guys who have a track record of identifying talent? I work as an executive recruiter, and one GREAT recruiter is worth ten mediocre ones. Again, supposition on my part, but I'd love to see the figures.

I went into the team history on the official site and there were 9 college scouts listed....I know Tom Braatz retired this year. There were three pro scouts.....this doesn't include Spielman, Wannstedt, or any of the other coaches.....I'm not sure how this stacks up to the rest of the NFL though.,,,,

Oh and it gives a brief history on each man.

If the point of all this was merely to say you think they could do better at drafting you are in fact 100% correct. If they hit on every player but one then they could have done better. Talk about going out on a limb there.

You only wanna include the things you think are pertenent but refuse to include tidbits that are clearly involved as factors in the decisions made by the FO concerning undrafted players. Character issues are rated higher by some teams than others. We rate it very highly due to JJ and his busts. I think the fact we will only draft a certain type of individual allows us to hit on more players as far as making the team and contributing on ST. It also lowers our chances of hitting on a star with a questionable background.

I'd love to debate this with you, but it just seems you can't get the point you have to include every factor involved in the rating of a player coming out of college and you seem to refuse to do so, I'm done with it.

"Quote:
Originally posted by DNY
JJ purged the team when he took over. DW has made a point of keeping proven players.

And what does that have to do with drafting quality players?"

Ahhhh, that would open up many more spots for "drafteing quality players" to play at. As I said check Cinn., I bet they have a higher percentage of draft choices playing.

Originally posted by Phinstd
If the point of all this was merely to say you think they could do better at drafting you are in fact 100% correct. If they hit on every player but one then they could have done better. Talk about going out on a limb there.

You only wanna include the things you think are pertenent but refuse to include tidbits that are clearly involved as factors in the decisions made by the FO concerning undrafted players. Character issues are rated higher by some teams than others. We rate it very highly due to JJ and his busts. I think the fact we will only draft a certain type of individual allows us to hit on more players as far as making the team and contributing on ST. It also lowers our chances of hitting on a star with a questionable background.

I'd love to debate this with you, but it just seems you can't get the point you have to include every factor involved in the rating of a player coming out of college and you seem to refuse to do so, I'm done with it.

Actually, if you wanted to use that criteria as one of the reasons we may not do as well as we should, I could see the logic there. If you don't care that Randy Moss is a jerk, you're much more likely to pick him up(and God help you). But that apsect wasn't brought up previosly, so how can you say that I would have ignored it? In fact, I never excluded ANY factor in determining the success of failure of a player. What I excluded was some players in determining a coaches ability to make the needed judgement calls. As for trying to reduce this to a post about "of course they could do better because they don't hit on every player", feel free to be dismissive. But the ACTUAL point of this post is that if we can be among the best teams in the NFL in Free Agency, why can't we also be among the elite in the draft? Again, why, as a fan, are you satisfied with any aspect of this team that is mediocre at best? I'm satisfied with the D because it's as good as it could possibly be. I'm for the most part satisfied with the O because it's as good as it could be wth the resources left over. In my opinion however, we've had some costly misses in the draft, that MIGHT have been avoided with more/better resources devoted to it. It boggles my mind how some people can view constructive critisim as an attack. Apparently in your view of the Phins there is NO room for improvement, we're the perfect team, and it will require an act of God to force us to lose a single game....sheesh.

Originally posted by DNY
"Quote:
Originally posted by DNY
JJ purged the team when he took over. DW has made a point of keeping proven players.

And what does that have to do with drafting quality players?"

Ahhhh, that would open up many more spots for "drafteing quality players" to play at. As I said check Cinn., I bet they have a higher percentage of draft choices playing.

Ok...so who do we have that we've drafted over the last few years that should be starting? Is Fletcher actually good enough to replace Mad/Surt if one of them goes down? Is Greenwood good enough to keep his starting job? Which of these players that we've drafted that isn't starting is good enough to step in without missing a beat?

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Ok...so who do we have that we've drafted over the last few years that should be starting? Is Fletcher actually good enough to replace Mad/Surt if one of them goes down? Is Greenwood good enough to keep his starting job? Which of these players that we've drafted that isn't starting is good enough to step in without missing a beat?

The only one I can think of is McKinney, and he might be starting this year.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

I think Omare Lowe might be able to step in for Fletcher w/out missing a beat.:goof:

I can't think of too many that wouldn't be playing on a team like the Bungles. For 3 of DWs' 4 drafts he's been without a #1, which greatly affects the percentage of impact draftees. Add to that the limited number of openings for playing time and it doesn't bode well for drafting percentages. I'd love to know what organizations in phinphans mind have steller draft records.

Originally posted by DNY
I can't think of too many that wouldn't be playing on a team like the Bungles. For 3 of DWs' 4 drafts he's been without a #1, which greatly affects the percentage of impact draftees. Add to that the limited number of openings for playing time and it doesn't bode well for drafting percentages. I'd love to know what organizations in phinphans mind have steller draft records.

Lol...that's a heck of a standard to be striving for..."can we draft players who would start for the Bungles?" As I've said repeatedly, I haven't done an in depth search of players to see who is doing a bteer job than we are...it's just my perception. But I look at teams like the Packers who were able to absorb a ton of injuries and still win games and did that in part because of the the players they drafted.

Really, the Packers??? I'd think they've had their share of free agents step up but I understand you. I'd throw in the Steelers also but I bet both the Packers and Steelers have had more picks and definately more high, 1st & 2nd round, picks over the past 4 years then the fins. Of course we could name several Packers picks that haven't panned out weel at all.

Back
Top Bottom