If Griese out plays Fiedler this pre-season, should Griese start? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Griese out plays Fiedler this pre-season, should Griese start?

ohall

A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.
Reaction score
... please remember how our once future HOF QB named Lucas played during this past pre-season.

A lil side note here, I have been amazed how many ppl have called into 560 WQAM today saying they do not like the possibility of Griese coming here to Miami, mainly because they do not want a QB controversy. It seems most ppl understand how bad those things can be to a team.

Oliver...

The better player should start... simple as that.

Originally posted by Oliver
... please remember how our once future HOF QB named Lucas played during this past pre-season.

A lil side note here, I have been amazed how many ppl have called into 560 WQAM today saying they do not like the possibility of Griese coming here to Miami, mainly because they do not want a QB controversy. It seems most ppl understand how bad those things can be to a team.

Oliver...

Oliver.......If outplay = is better than...then I say yes. The coaches will have to decide if thats the case or not just like they did when Huard - Fiedler was the question at hand. Fielder did not outplay Huard in games, as he was injured. But Fiedler out played huard when they practiced on an everyday basis. If Griese out performs Fiedler at practice and in games, he should start. But Fiedler will rise to the occasion. Question in my mind is can JF last all season health wise. So far he hasnt shown me he can last all year.

My prediction: Fiedler starts while griese learns the system. Fiedler gets hurt mid season, and misses some time. Griese comes in and plays well, and stays healthy. Griese ends season healthy (maybe starter..maybe not)..Fiedler will be let go due to contract and health after the season..Griese named starter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oliver...

No! But thats because Griese needs to heal, and learn the system. Pre-season is to strange an enviornment to judge a player.
All things being equal? I would say yes. Let the best player, play. At any position.

BB

Re: Re: If Griese out plays Fiedler this pre-season, should Griese start?

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

Oliver.......If outplay = is better than...then I say yes. The coaches will have to decide if thats the case or not just like they did when Huard - Fiedler was the question at hand. Fielder did not outplay Huard in games, as he was injured. But Fiedler out played huard when they practiced on an everyday basis. If Griese out perfroms Fiedler at practice and in games, he should start. But Fiedler will rise to the occasion. Question in my mind iscan JF last all season health wise. So far he hasnt shown me he can last all year.

Leave it to Mike to make 100% sense. Yeah it's more than just the pre-season games, it's the entire off-season. Thank you Mike for bringing common sense to this THREAD! :D

As for me I don't care who starts, I just want like you the BEST QB to start.

Oliver...

How could someone say hell no? That makes no sense. While I won't say Griese is better than Fiedler, I will say that the best man should win. If we're gonna be the best team out there, we need to have our best players out there. If Griese outplays Jay, why shouldn't he start? The better player.. makes the team better, in general!

But we'll see..

Originally posted by breckenridge55
Lucas outplayed Fiedler last year, supposedly. How did that turn out?

Lucas is Lucas. Lucas isn't Griese. I don't even wonna hear it.. :sleep:

Well, I for one know that you cannot judge a players performance during preseason and expect it to transfer over to the regular season (see Ray Lucas 2002). Why? Simple. During preseason you are playing against another team, but not necessarily the starting team. You'd be playing against other people just trying to make 3rd string or even the practice squad. If you're a 2nd stringer, you're probably going to shine against them just like Ray did. But come the real teams and its likely to get your ass handed to you. The coaches know this, thats why Jay is the starter.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

Ok, and Brian Griese isn't Bob Griese. I don't even wanna hear that either. Please try to explain to me what part of Griese's game is so great that everyone wants us to sign him? I haven't heard anything but bad things about him. Why is he so good as you people say he is?

IceStorm and Mike is right. But that's my whole point. If Griese comes here(the pads don't come on til July) in June, does better than Fiedler the entire offseason, why shouldn't he start? Now I'm not gonna sit here and pick a favorite, because this is a business. It's all about the BETTER players in this league..

That's a good point, but Griese is not what alot are making him out to be either. Like you never hear some ppl mention his 10 game pro-bowl season, like 10 games is something to be proud about. You never hear some ppl talk about his re-occuring should problem.

Griese may turn out to be a very good QB for Miami, but there quite a few hurdles he has to jump over before that happens.

Then again we are talking about Miami, not exactly the most informed sports town to begin with. I'm sure every dropped ball, or incomplete pass that Fiedler throws the fans will yell for Griese to start.

After all they did that for a BUM like Lucas what makes you think they won't do it for a QB that has actually helped to win games for a NFL franchise like Griese when he was healthy?

I think you're 100% correct C-84, most Miami fans will be yelling for Griese to start.

Oliver...

That's a good point, but Griese is not what alot are making him out to be either. Like you never hear some ppl mention his 10 game pro-bowl season, like 10 games is something to be proud about. You never hear some ppl talk about his re-occuring should problem.

So then why is Chad Pennington considered the real deal? :confused:

So then why is Chad Pennington considered the real deal? :confused:

Maybe because Chad played all the games he was asked to play. Griese's pro-bowl season was stopped because of a shoulder injury, an injury he has re-injured 2 times after that.

Does that help?

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom