If Ogun leaves... who wants him? is it worth it? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Ogun leaves... who wants him? is it worth it?

Fisticuff

hm mmm, peanut butter and crack sandwich
Reaction score
Now first, i don't believe letting Ogun walk is as great as everyone wants to believe. yeah 2 first rounders is really great, but losing Ogun would be a blow to a D that has had great success because of Ogun and Taylors abilty to get pressure (seems like every team we played they had some pressure.. except NE). now if Ogun won't take less then JT, he has to go because we need help elswhere. does anyone know DR style? does he mean what he says (about contracts) or is he known to haggle? i would wait and see what happens before we get rid of him.

so who wants Ogun? and is that 1st rounder worth it?

Philadelphia Eagles- although a WR is more important, they still could use help on the D. but they're a bad at the run, not at the pash rush.

Indianapolis Colts- A D just waiting to get someone like Ogun. I guess this depends on Manning. if he wants to stay then Ogun might be a stretch. if not, then Ogun should be at the top of their list it would seem.

Dallas Cowboys- I'm sure Bill would love to improve his D, and if he tries to aquire Dillion, then Ogun would be a big option there.

Minnesota Vikings- They have there RB, QB, WR, etc.. but need help on D. Ogun would be a good fit there too.

Cincinnati Bengals- The Offense seems to have the pieces. good WR, RB, and a franchise QB. D help would be good with him. but if he turns to a 3-4, then ogun wouldn't be a good fit.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers- After this season and that D they could use an Ogun. also Sapp is a FA, so getting another pass rusher would be ideal.

Chicago Bears- With the loss of Colvin, they don't have a blitzer. but that whole team has so many holes on it, it's hard to gauge

Atlanta Falcons- They could use more WR threats to help Vick, but at the same time they have invested a lot into the WR spot. Need D help.

Jacksonville Jaguars- Kevin Johnson was a help to them. they no longer need a WR.. but with the age of Smith (and problems) they could use D help. then again they invested $ into a DE last year and that turned out like crap. very doubtful.

Washington Redskins- who's their owner? yeah.. he'd blow the $ on ogun.

Arizona Cardinals- another team with tons of wholes to fill... it depends who's the HC. does Arizona wanna give up the 3rd pick? it's arizona.. who knows.

When looking at the list, it doesn't look to bright to let ogun go, because miami most likley isn't gonna get a great pick in the draft (spot).

One thing: Where does Ogunleye want to play? Is he likely to sign an offer sheet with Arizona? No. Is Arizona gonna offer him a contract that would result in losing the #3 overall? No.

Redskins, Colts, Bucs all have salary cap issues and are not likely to try and sign him. That narrows down the list quite a bit.

no, but 2 first rounders DO make it a great spot.

we can't afford to re-sign o-gun long term. Or at least it would be stupid to do so, as we already overspend on defense. So either...

1. we take what we can get by tagging him as a RFA this year

or

2. Tag him, have no one take him, resign him for 1.8 mil, and he becomes an unrestricted FA next year.

I love the prince, but we just can't afford him. if he's willing to sign low (which I hope he doesn't, he's too talented for that) then we CAN keep him. If he's not willing to, we just can't afford it plain or simple.

And he IS worth that much to a lot of teams. He's only 2 years into the NFL, and near the top of the AFC sack leaders this season. He's young and talented and proved he CAN make it in the NFL. That's something NO college players have had a chance to do. He's a sure thing...you can't find that in the draft.

Keeping O-Gun for over 4m a year knocks out getting a free agent offensive lineman(a good one) and a 1st rounder.

Getting a #1 pick for him is solely dependent on whether any teams want to sign him (and Ogunleye wants to sign with them) to an offer sheet at ridiculous $$$$ and forfeit a #1 pick.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Getting a #1 pick for him is solely dependent on whether any teams want to sign him (and Ogunleye wants to sign with them) to an offer sheet at ridiculous $$$$ and forfeit a #1 pick.

yeah, I know a lot of teams that will pass on a young sack leader.......

If he's looking for $7 million/season, they will. Also, why are y'all so willing to let a "young sack leader" go so easily? :shakeno:

If he's looking for $7 million/season, they will. Also, why are y'all so willing to let a "young sack leader" go so easily? :shakeno:

Because we don't have the money for him. We ALLREADY spend 30+ mil on defense. We need to focus on offense.

You seem to imply that he's not a good player? I love the prince, and would love to have him as a career player for us. But we just plain can't afford to spend on our defense when we have such pressing offensive needs.

however there are teams out there with great offenses and crappy d's that would LOVE to have a young pass rusher on their team.

Yes, they would but not necessarily at his asking price PLUS a #1 pick. Besides, the market for DE's in not like the market was for WR's last year. There are some quality DE's avaiable in FA: Jevon Kearse, Darren Howard, Grant Wistrom, and Eric Hicks. Teams in need of a pass-rushing DE are more likely to try and sign one of them first before they take the RFA route

:goof: You mean like when Atlanta signed P Price ?

:shakeno:

:wave:

Marino1983

I don't think Kearse is going to be leaving Tenn any time soon. That being said, I have a feeling that the phins are going to restructure a LOT of contracts (JT, SM, etc...) Then try to resign Ogun. Hey Ogun said he wants JT money... so lower JT's salary then maybe we can afford Ogun too!?

Look at the guy in Green Bay. Philly was willing to pay the picks and give him a $13 million signing bonus for a guy who only plays passing downs.

Can only imagine what a team would pay for a guy who can play everydown. I'd love to have Ogun back but the money needs to start being spent on offense.

First of all, I doubt any team with a top 10-15 pick will sign Ogunleye because they won't want to give up their pick. If a team is going to give up draft picks for Ogunleye, it will be a playoff team or a team that came close. I think Kansas City could use a DE. I know Philadelphia could as well.

The only problem with most 'playoff teams' or a team that came close is they are probably in the same situation that we are... salary cap problems. If he does go to another team I would think it would be a team in the 10-15 range. However, a lower team could surprise us!?

Back
Top Bottom