If Ogun leaves... who wants him? is it worth it? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Ogun leaves... who wants him? is it worth it?

Originally posted by Graythreat
no, but 2 first rounders DO make it a great spot.

we can't afford to re-sign o-gun long term. Or at least it would be stupid to do so, as we already overspend on defense. So either...

1. we take what we can get by tagging him as a RFA this year

or

2. Tag him, have no one take him, resign him for 1.8 mil, and he becomes an unrestricted FA next year.

I love the prince, but we just can't afford him. if he's willing to sign low (which I hope he doesn't, he's too talented for that) then we CAN keep him. If he's not willing to, we just can't afford it plain or simple.

And he IS worth that much to a lot of teams. He's only 2 years into the NFL, and near the top of the AFC sack leaders this season. He's young and talented and proved he CAN make it in the NFL. That's something NO college players have had a chance to do. He's a sure thing...you can't find that in the draft.

Exactly my point. We're losing him next year anyway if we tender him, because we're not signing him to a long term "Jason Taylor" deal. We might as well get what we can for him now. I think we'll be fine with David Bowens.

Could we work out a sign and trade with another team maybe?

Surely some other team would at least exchange number ones with us if we traded O-Gun to them.....Of course I would think it would be a good deal only if it were a non division team, with a top ten pick.

Dont count out Cinncy,The Raiders,and Minny!!!....Swapping with Oakland and getting there 2nd and 3rd rounder would be great but that might be reaching!!

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
If he's looking for $7 million/season, they will. Also, why are y'all so willing to let a "young sack leader" go so easily? :shakeno:

Uh we already have one....... And are currently spending too much dough on the D side of the ball. We need to become more financially ballanced. Who could we trade and get a better deal? Not anyone with whom we would part.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Look at the guy in Green Bay. Philly was willing to pay the picks and give him a $13 million signing bonus for a guy who only plays passing downs.

Philly was willing to pay that much because they would only be giving up the 30th pick in a weak draft. That's a lot different then expecting a mid-1st in what is supposed to be a pretty deep draft.

Originally posted by Oboy
The only problem with most 'playoff teams' or a team that came close is they are probably in the same situation that we are... salary cap problems.

Supposedly not this year. The guy who watches the cap for Denver was on the radio last week and said that only 3 teams would go into this offseason over the cap. Denver was the 2nd most over and they'll only be about $1.5 mil over what the NFL is projecting the 2004 cap at right now. Two cuts and Denver's almost $10 mil under. A lot of teams are going to have a lot of money to spend this offseason.

O-Gun market will pick up a ton when Wistrom and Kearse come back to their own teams or sign elsewhere.

Clump, you know we'll get a good thing with O-Gun either way. WE either get a 14-16 sack guy back at 1.5 (I think we'll only tender him the 1st) or we get a 1st rd pick to apply to offense and that scares you so you come in here hating and trying to dispute.

I'm sure Buffalo would love to have the guy they're gonna draft than the 15 sacks he'd give your defense next year. That d-line Barfalo has is great and would never need O-Gun to instead try to draft another guy who will be a star.

Let me give you an example as to why teams with a high pick may look at him.

Mike Williams and the money it took to sign the turnstyle. I'm sure you're still so glad they took him instead of McKinnie huh?

we will tender O-gun a 1.9 mill and place a 1st & 3rd pick on him. That will force other teams to think twice about taking him (even at a low price) and allow us to keep him for 1 year (and hopefully longer after that). If someone wants him bad enough, they'll offer higher (and we have the option to match) but probably won't and instead get our 1st & 3rd. There's also quite a bit of talk (some believe it some don't) that O-gun's #s are inflated a bit due to teams doubling up on JT so much and wonder how well he'd do as a #1 DE on another team.

Our picks now (rounds) are 1,3,4,6,7
the extra 1,3 would be 1,1,3,3,4,6,7

We could then trade up both 1's and a 3 to move up considerably from the #20 spot in the draft.....which would put us in prime-time for picking one of the top QB's....which we DO need. #3 should go to WR (most impact) and also maybe #4.....if not #4,6,7 should be spent on offensive linemen to train for a year or two.

The way our cap works out, we'll have enough money to sign a couple of good O-line guys through FA which (along with the QB) is our biggest problem, and maybe an aging QB with 2-3 years left......use the draft to pick up a WR or 2 to help out on Offense, a rising star QB and some O-line guys this year (and next year etc. as well as more D guys) to train so that we can age out our Offense and Defense in the next couple of years.

I don't want O-gun to go....and if we can keep him for $2mill a year....great. If not....well, at least we will get the picks to allow us to trade up to do what we need to do. I wouldn't be surprised to even see us get a 2nd rounder by trading next years 3/4 picks to someone else who is a little more solid all-around.

..........just food for thought.....

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing: Where does Ogunleye want to play? Is he likely to sign an offer sheet with Arizona? No. Is Arizona gonna offer him a contract that would result in losing the #3 overall? No.

Redskins, Colts, Bucs all have salary cap issues and are not likely to try and sign him. That narrows down the list quite a bit.

Clumps...you are so one sided sometimes!

If O-Gun only cares about the biggest dollar he could very well end up in Arizona.

You were tha same one saying we couldnt land Knight, Seau and Griese last year. Hush...go to bed! J/K;)

If he's looking for $7 million/season, they will. Also, why are y'all so willing to let a "young sack leader" go so easily? :shakeno:

we'll draft one with one of our two first rounders after O-Gun gets signed. It isnt all that tough to find a Pass Rushing DE in the draft.

Originally posted by Blueprint_21
Now first, i don't believe letting Ogun walk is as great as everyone wants to believe. yeah 2 first rounders is really great, but losing Ogun would be a blow to a D that has had great success because of Ogun and Taylors abilty to get pressure (seems like every team we played they had some pressure.. except NE). now if Ogun won't take less then JT, he has to go because we need help elswhere. does anyone know DR style? does he mean what he says (about contracts) or is he known to haggle? i would wait and see what happens before we get rid of him.

so who wants Ogun? and is that 1st rounder worth it?

Philadelphia Eagles- although a WR is more important, they still could use help on the D. but they're a bad at the run, not at the pash rush.

Indianapolis Colts- A D just waiting to get someone like Ogun. I guess this depends on Manning. if he wants to stay then Ogun might be a stretch. if not, then Ogun should be at the top of their list it would seem.

Dallas Cowboys- I'm sure Bill would love to improve his D, and if he tries to aquire Dillion, then Ogun would be a big option there.

Minnesota Vikings- They have there RB, QB, WR, etc.. but need help on D. Ogun would be a good fit there too.

Cincinnati Bengals- The Offense seems to have the pieces. good WR, RB, and a franchise QB. D help would be good with him. but if he turns to a 3-4, then ogun wouldn't be a good fit.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers- After this season and that D they could use an Ogun. also Sapp is a FA, so getting another pass rusher would be ideal.

Chicago Bears- With the loss of Colvin, they don't have a blitzer. but that whole team has so many holes on it, it's hard to gauge

Atlanta Falcons- They could use more WR threats to help Vick, but at the same time they have invested a lot into the WR spot. Need D help.

Jacksonville Jaguars- Kevin Johnson was a help to them. they no longer need a WR.. but with the age of Smith (and problems) they could use D help. then again they invested $ into a DE last year and that turned out like crap. very doubtful.

Washington Redskins- who's their owner? yeah.. he'd blow the $ on ogun.

Arizona Cardinals- another team with tons of wholes to fill... it depends who's the HC. does Arizona wanna give up the 3rd pick? it's arizona.. who knows.

When looking at the list, it doesn't look to bright to let ogun go, because miami most likley isn't gonna get a great pick in the draft (spot).

I would tag him for the one yr tender. If another team signed him to an offer, then I would have to REALLY think about those #1s. Otherwise, we have him for another season, let him prove his worth then and if he goes good next season, give him an extention.

Back
Top Bottom