If San Fran takes Smith...? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If San Fran takes Smith...?

testtubetimmy

Supreme Lord Emperor
Reaction score
I apologize if this thread has already been done, but i havent seen it around.

So lets say San Fran goes crazy and drafts Alex Smith. What would you do? Up until this point, we've always assumed they'd take Rodgers.

Do we still go for RB or Edwards? Or should we take the seemingly best QB that San Fran passed on?

testtubetimmy said:

So lets say San Fran goes crazy and drafts Alex Smith. What would you do? Up until this point, we've always assumed they'd take Rodgers.

Do we still go for RB or Edwards? Or should we take the seemingly best QB that San Fran passed on?
one word, :cry: cry. :jk: trade down :cooldude:

Well we wouldn't be able to take Smith, that's for sure. I don't think that we'd take Rogers. So that would probably result in RB, Braylon Edwards, or TRADE DOWN and then we have a whole new drawing board.

testtubetimmy said:

I think Smith will be taken first by San Fran. The only hold up will be his contract status. You never know what's going on behind the scenes. What if Saban has assured Smith he will take him at two? Does Smith then take a hardball stance with San Fran knowing he would rather be in Miami? Who knows how this will play out.

At 2, if Smith goes to San Fran, I'd take Rodgers. I think at worst he will be a solid starting QB in the NFL - in the right situation of course.

Rodgers...I think... with the following my preference. Mike Williams, Rodgers, Rolle, Caddy Williams. Sorry, I'm just a big Mike Williams fan. I'm Throwing Rolle in as my sleeper pick...everywhere.:)

If Tampa is really interested in one of the QB's then we tell Tampa to make it worth our while to let them trade up and take Rodgers. then with the 5th pick we take a RB, Edwards or Williams, or possibly trade down again.

Trade down with the Bucs, then I can see this happening.
1.Smith-49ers
2.Edwards-Bucs
3.Rodgers-Browns
4.Williams or Benson-Bears
5.Brown-Dolphins

THOMAS_54 said:
Trade down with the Bucs, then I can see this happening.
1.Smith-49ers
2.Edwards-Bucs
3.Rodgers-Browns
4.Williams or Benson-Bears
5.Brown-Dolphins

According to the other thread, Tampa would trade up to grab the QB that doesn't wind up in San Francisco.

testtubetimmy said:

Rogers is a tedford project and Alex Smith has impressed more than him

If this happened i'd trade down or just take bpa which would be either edwards or derrick johnson

The main problem with our roster is we have a 4-12 team with 4-12 talent. Our offensive players underachieve and our defense is aging quickly. IMO, a 23 year old (turning 24) RB does not fit well in this scenario. There is little chance that Brown will perform as well as Ricky did in 2002...not many RBs have had seasons like that. What's worst of all is the fact we didn't even make the playoffs that season.

We need to clear our heads and realize we are a long way from competing with NE. We need to develop building blocks for the future and there is no better place to start than at QB. If we draft Brown and he performs well (say 1200 yards), then what does our team look like two years from now? Most of our current defenders will be retired or near retirement, while some of our offensive players will have developed while others have been cut. In that scenario, I do not see how a 26 year old RB can be the centerpiece of this organization. In a similar scenario without the 1200 yard rusher we would have a 23 year old QB who may be the flagship player for the following decade. Then we would at least have a reasonably bright future.

Let's just hope Saban makes the right choice.

Well I guess we have run out of things to talk about. Now everyone seems to be making a huge deal about Brown turning 24 soon. Please people he is a SENIOR. You think he entered college when he was 16? What's next? Shoe sizes or SAT scores? :shakeno:

I would try to keep trading down even if its just a few spots an accumulate some picks

Dubfire said:
Well I guess we have run out of things to talk about. Now everyone seems to be making a huge deal about Brown turning 24 soon. Please people he is a SENIOR. You think he entered college when he was 16? What's next? Shoe sizes or SAT scores? :shakeno:

His age is factor because of the state of our team and the position he plays. We are in all likelyhood two years away from competing with New England. Brown will be turning 26 that season. That doesn't sound good when you figure he was taken 2nd overall two years prior. He also plays RB. After six seasons, he will be turning 30. How many RBs are effective past their 30th birthday? Not many.

If we take a player second overall, the hope would be that he plays effectively for a decade. In Brown's case that would mean he is 33 turning 34. That's alot to ask for any RB, let alone one picked second overall.

Back
Top Bottom