If the Raiders were to trade for Ricky, REALISTICALLY, what would we get? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If the Raiders were to trade for Ricky, REALISTICALLY, what would we get?

I still think we could play a little hardball with Oakland over this one (as in demanding a 1st). Still, I would probably be happy with a conditional pick as well. Anyone think we could demand a conditional pick (3rd rounder let's say) and a player . . . like maybe Schweigert?

Idealistically we should

BringBackShula said:
I guess when we got him it was a 1st and 3rd for him with a little baggage...SO now with a s*#t load of baggage, but still much skills, it should be compromised....Not 2 1st rounders, but not 1 3rd rounder either...It should be just one #1 pick. That's fair. Cause you know as much as we dislike him now, he's still gonna be a good a#* s running back.

But in today's NFL, almost every trade is conditional. Because it protects both sides.

Ricky may be one helluva Running Back but it's no garuantee what condition he'll be in after almost a year and a half away from the game an what mind frame he'll be in.

with that said if Oakland agreed to a conditional 3rd rounder that could escalate to a first if Ricky behave himself in his first year back and played well, then that would be about the best offer we'd get. becuase RW has more ???? than answers.

Hello everyone. first post. Just gonna jump right in...

I think we could still end up up getting nice to acceptable compensation for RW. Oakland may be as much in the dark about RIcky as we were (barring the recent media frenzy). We had an Idea that Ricky was a head case back in '02 but took him anyway and I was a bit amazed how happy people in N.O. were when we traded for him. Now I see why. I think we are seeing things form the N.O. perspective now and it may not be to far fetched to think that people in Oakland are thinking like we did two years ago. They may justify his actions in their mind by painting us the mean spirited, non-understand, heartless city and all Ricky needs is some good 'ol Oakland TLC. If that is the case we will have a great chance of landing a good deal.

If you structure the deal conditionally, then the risk by Oakland is removed. IF Ricky plays a full season, then we get two first rounders or a 1st and a 2nd. If he doesn't play, then we get nothing.

That's the way the deal would go down. Personally, I'd only accept the conditional 2 first rounders. That way, if he ends up screwing us (by essentially quitting on us to play for Oakland), he pays for the trouble.

Wait. You guys are not looking at his status with the league. He has failed 4 drug tests (3 actual and 1 considered failure by filing retirement papers). That means he's an automatic one year suspension and then he has to file for re-instatement.

Why would the Raiders trade for RW when he can't play this year? His trade value right now is ZERO.

edit: nevermind, rhadaddy made the same point. The Dolphins will get nothing until he is cleared by the league.

When we traded for Ricky

The biggest knocks on him were his quirky behavior and aloof personality and his durabilty. His two time league drug policy offense weren't mentioned. He seemed like he needed a change of scenery more than anything. Nonetheless Ricky didn't quit on them and retire. Now we're trying to pawn him off with the public Knowledge of his drug use and his unstable and irrational line of thinking when it comes to his commitment to football.

Al Davis has done some questionable things in the past but you'd have to assume that whatever we as the fans know, the oweners know alot more and are well aware of this situation, so he'd have to be totally oblivious to this situation which is impossible and it would be like pulling teeth to get any kind of high first day garaunteed pick for his rights.

The Dolphins hold the cards with Ricky. If he comes back, he must do it with Miami or he stays retired. Let him come back and prove to the NFL that he has cleaned up his act. After he completes the year for the Dolphins if shopping him is in the best interest explore that possibility then. At least then he may have greater value.

I would rather have him not play than go to another team (which the Dolphins would have to contend with) and have a great year at a bargain price. Sometimes addition by substraction is the way to go. Why give the possibility of making the Raiders a strong team for next to nothing.

Best scenario is Williams gets on proper medication, works through his personal issues and comes back with a clear head to the Dolphins in 2005.

FlyingElvis said:
Wait. You guys are not looking at his status with the league. He has failed 4 drug tests (3 actual and 1 considered failure by filing retirement papers). That means he's an automatic one year suspension and then he has to file for re-instatement.

Why would the Raiders trade for RW when he can't play this year? His trade value right now is ZERO.
I think the 4th failed test is only enforced if he unretires THIS year. I could be wrong but thats the way I understood it.

He's only failed three

FlyingElvis said:

If he tries to un-retire then it's like he failed four test, if he remains retired this year then he's not subject to NFL drug testing, therefore he can not be counted as failing a fourth drug test. That's why he can't come back until next year if he wanted to, because if he did, the league would most likely suspend him for a year or possibly more if they wanted to stick it to him for Talking about masking agents and jeopordizing the league credibility. If he comes back next year he'll only be faced with a four week suspension.

rhadaddy said:
If he tries to un-retire then it's like he failed four test, if he remains retired this year then he's not subject to NFL drug testing, therefore he can not be counted as failing a fourth drug test. That's why he can't come back until next year if he wanted to, because if he did, the league would most likely suspend him for a year or possibly more if they wanted to stick it to him for Talking about masking agents and jeopordizing the league credibility. If he comes back next year he'll only be faced with a four week suspension.
Interesting. So if he un-retires next year it won't be considered a 4th failure? I thought his filing for retirement was considered the 4th failure. Which would mean he would have to un-retire during this year (at some point?) to be eligible for 2005 season. I think we are breaking new ground here with Mr. Williams. Has there been a similar case?

I dont think his value is zero... but it is certainly diminished. Look at it this way, you buy a used car but pay a new car price for it. It looks great, runs great and gives you every indication it will continue to be servicable for years to come. 2 years later, it quits running. Wont run at all. Your neighbor says he thinks he can get it to run again if you would be willing to sell it to him. Do you think he would be willing to pay what you paid for it? Or even close to that amount? I say we should get anything we can out of Ricky. If we demand too high a price out of spite then like a used car, he will rust away in the driveway until nobody will be willing to give us anything for him.

NJL52 said:
nothing less then first round pick. we have his rights, if we dont get what we want, he doesnt play. we have control of this cuz we have what they want.
Absolutely, nothing less then a 1st round pick, or Ricky can continue to find himself for the next 3 years. We hold the cards here, not them, if they refuse to give us what we want, then they get nothing from us.....very simple.

I say we need to get at least a 1st rounder for Ricky. I'd love to get back that 2nd rounder also we gave up for Phily's 3rd string QB in Feely!:shakeno: I'd say we get a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder for RW. Remember, while risky - the Raiders are big gamblers with Al Davis pulling the punches - and Ricky is a top 3-4 back when healthy! 2 1st round picks is something we haven't had since we snagged Marco Coleman and Troy Vincent back in the day! A nice O-Lineman in UM's Winston and a stud RB would be NICE!

Make the trade Speilman - and hope the Raiders finish 0-16!:)

I wouldn't do anything till this year is over and you see where Oakland will be picking if it a late 1st round then you ask for more if top 5 pick then thats all you ask

Back
Top Bottom