If you had to pick......... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If you had to pick.........

Originally posted by JeffJewell
Griese will be a much better backup qb in the Dolphins offense than Knight will be a safety in the Dolphins defense.

Knight would be more likely to compete with Eddie Moore and Junior Seau for playing time, in this D, than with Marion and Freeman.

I'll be genuinely surprised if we sign Knight for anything out of spitting distance from vet's minimum; and even more surprised if we don't have Knight = Bust threads, should the guy actually play much safety.

I understand what he offers that seems lacking from our safeties, but it's the system every bit as much as the personnel.

-Jeff
www.jjewell.com

What do you mean he will be more likely to compete with two OLB'S? He's a SS! I can't even believe we are having this arguement. Sage Rosenfels is as good a backup QB as Brian Griese is. Rosenfels hasn't proven crap on the field but neither has Griese. The only reason everyone wants Griese is because his father's name is Bob Griese. If it was the same guy named Jon Hobbs who played in Arizona, no one would give two craps about him. He has not proven to be good, reliable, or consistent at all. I would much rather have a reliable, solid SS (our weakest starting position other than maybe WR) than a backup QB when we already have one.

What do you mean he will be more likely to compete with two OLB'S? He's a SS! I can't even believe we are having this arguement
I realize I skipped a couple thought-links in my initial statement... did the PS in my last post make any more sense?

I DO NOT think Dave wants to make Knight a LB.

I DO NOT think Dave sees Knight as a Dolphins starting safety, long-term.

I DO think Dave sees Knight as an interim alternative/backup to Freeman (remember, a lot of this Knight talk started before we knew Arturo would be back).

I DO think that Knight's combination of size, great hitting, good speed and coverage skills would make him a perfect Dolphins linebacker.

I DO NOT think that Knight's combination of skills will make him a perfect Dolphins safety.

What I've been trying to say, is I think Dave wants Knight as insurance if he can get that insurance cheaply enough: I don't think the coaches see Knight as fitting our system, long term.

The reason it came up in this thread is that I also think Dave sees backup qb as needing more attention than backup safety.

Am I at least sounding reasonable, now?

-Jeff
www.jjewell.com

Yea, I think you sound a little more reasonable. I made that post before I saw the PS. But I still don't think there is any chance that Wanny even thinks of Knight as a LB. We have a major weakness at SS and bringing Knight in addresses that weakness.

Originally posted by 13isgr81
Now I must stick up for dolfan87...

I would appreciate it if you would show him some more respect... Maybe you didn't notice that he is Finheaven member #2! Perhaps being relatively new here you don't know that he has been, until recently, an administrator on this site and still deserves the same reverence he had while he was one...

Else you run the risk of alientating yourself from all those who still hold 87 in esteem for what he has been for this site...

By the way, how do you accidently call someone an idiot?:tsk:

I appreciate the kind words.

Hey Beatcrazy :moon: ;)

I also have to throw my opinion in here. Knight is a hard hitting slow saftey. Do we want to have a guy playing satey who can't cover ground quickly?

This isn't my choice vs your choice; it's what I think the coaches choice will be vs your choice

NO, its what you think the coaches choice will be vs. what I think the coaches choice will be.

I DO think Dave sees Knight as an interim alternative/backup to Freeman (remember, a lot of this Knight talk started before we knew Arturo would be back).

How could one see him as a back up safety to freeman when he outplayed him in every statistical category. Why do you insist on talking about fitting our system? Can we not bring in a guy that makes plays , even though he may be a little different than our "normal SS". And if we are not pursueing him then why did I see a post that said we made him an offer. The only reasons we are not offering him pro -bowl money : 1. We don't need to because we are not in a bidding war. 2. We don't have the money to offer. 3. We already have an excellent defense that is strong at every other position.

I DO NOT think that Knight's combination of skills will make him a perfect Dolphins safety.
I DO NOT think Dave sees Knight as a Dolphins starting safety, long-term.

Two key words I noticed in these quotes. PERFECT and LONG TERM. They both sound like words you added to your statement at the last minute to cover YOUR a $$. Nobody ever said he was a perfect fit , I just think he would be an improvement at the position. And your scared to say that Dave doesn't see him as our starting safety next year because your scared of being proved wrong. Sammy Knight will be a hell of a lot more than insurance so you don't sound very reasonable to me.

What do you mean he will be more likely to compete with two OLB'S? He's a SS! I can't even believe we are having this arguement.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

Why do you insist on talking about fitting our system?

Because his style of play hasn't changed, yet.

The last time we had a hit-first safety in this defense (Brian Walker), the lack of coverage skills at safety left us extremely vulnerable deep.

I don't believe Dave wants to repeat that experience as much as you apparently believe he does.

Can we not bring in a guy that makes plays , even though he may be a little different than our "normal SS"

We could, it's just not nearly as likely to be any kind of improvement; and much more likely to be a hindrance than if you put players who have the skills you want in the places you want them.

There are plenty of players at all positions who've put up greater numbers than specific Dolphin players. The whole group has to work together. There are outstanding defensive tackles who would not be a good fit for the Dolphins, because their style of play would not allow Zach the same holes, lanes, and opportunities.

Even in Madden football, there are numerous sub-scores, not only the single total. Knight's total number might very well be grater than Freeman's, but I think Dave sees Freeman's numbers as being better, in the sub-categories that are important to Dave, that complement all the sub-scores of all the players around him on the field.

They both sound like words you added to your statement at the last minute to cover YOUR a $$

Actually, they were words I added after I felt I was misunderstood multiple times by a guy who rather name call than discuss the topic.

I'm just glad to confirm the problem was at the receiving end.

But now I worry about my Madden example being misunderstood... just to be clear, I DO NOT think Knight will be listed as a linebacker in Madden 2004.

And your scared to say that Dave doesn't see him as our starting safety next year because your scared of being proved wrong.

Listen, I just made a post saying I thought the Griese deal was a bigger issue than the Knight deal, and mentioned why I thought Knight had not been (and would not be) very sought after by this front office. I've admitted my first post wasn't clear, and I've tried to explain what I meant, and I've tried to stay good-natured with my own jokes, despite being called names and sworn at.

If you want to step up and declare that Knight will come in here, take over the starting safety job and send Freeman packing after 2003, be a man, step up, and say so. I think making any starting lineup prediction would be ignorant, at this point, and made no such prediction, myself.

you don't sound very reasonable to me

Let me just say, with heartfelt emotion, "Whew!"

-Jeff
www.jjewell.com

YOU'RE not worth the effort!

Well, I just feel all warm and fuzzy that a brief interaction with me has improved someone else's use of the language.

Posting here is truly fulfilling, on so many levels.

-Jeff
www.jjewell.com

I think they might try and bring in Knight push Freeman and mentor that rookie S we got Yemen Bell or something like that but that is just what I think

Back
Top Bottom