If you had to pick......... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If you had to pick.........

I think we need to fill holes in our starting lineup before we concentrate on depth. With that said, I want Sammy Knight, who I may add is a playmaker and has been to the Pro Bowl.

Griese will be a much better backup qb in the Dolphins offense than Knight will be a safety in the Dolphins defense.

Knight would be more likely to compete with Eddie Moore and Junior Seau for playing time, in this D, than with Marion and Freeman.

I'll be genuinely surprised if we sign Knight for anything out of spitting distance from vet's minimum; and even more surprised if we don't have Knight = Bust threads, should the guy actually play much safety.

I understand what he offers that seems lacking from our safeties, but it's the system every bit as much as the personnel.

-Jeff
www.jjewell.com

Originally posted by BeatCrazy2
How will he not fit in our system? Because our pass defense chokes when they are needed most? Make him fit Dammit! LOL

Knight plays closer to the line.....we need a safety that can help down field and i'm not sure if he can help us there.....

Griese will be a much better backup qb in the Dolphins offense than Knight will be a safety in the Dolphins defense.

Knight would be more likely to compete with Eddie Moore and Junior Seau for playing time, in this D, than with Marion and Freeman.

I'll be genuinely surprised if we sign Knight for anything out of spitting distance from vet's minimum; and even more surprised if we don't have Knight = Bust threads, should the guy actually play much safety.

I understand what he offers that seems lacking from our safeties, but it's the system every bit as much as the personnel.

There is no way Knight will be competing for a LB position. Your an idiot!

There is no way Knight will be competing for a LB position. Your an idiot! [/B]

Actually, besides the fact that you are outright breaking the T.O.S. by calling him an idiot, your the one who needs to question your knowledge of the Dolphins scheme.

In certain second and third down packages, either Morlon, or Rodgers, or BOTH come out, and we have what's called the nickle and dime package on the field.

In these instances, Knight would come in and basically play a cover linebacker role. He would play close to the line, and cover the slot guy, or play a zone where he could attack the line of scrimmage, or cover a guy in his zone.

This is what he meant (or at least what I think he meant) when he said that Knight would compete for playing time with the linebackers.

However my opinion is that Knight would flat take over for Freeman...unless of course Freeman makes a massive improvement this year.

Backup QB is a bigger need than a starting SS.

And Griese over Lucas is a bigger improvement than Knight over Freeman.

Actually, besides the fact that you are outright breaking the T.O.S. by calling him an idiot

Whoops, that was an accident.

In certain second and third down packages, either Morlon, or Rodgers, or BOTH come out, and we have what's called the nickle and dime package on the field.

In these instances, Knight would come in and basically play a cover linebacker role. He would play close to the line, and cover the slot guy, or play a zone where he could attack the line of scrimmage, or cover a guy in his zone.

This is what he meant (or at least what I think he meant) when he said that Knight would compete for playing time with the linebackers.

However my opinion is that Knight would flat take over for Freeman...unless of course Freeman makes a massive improvement this year.

First of all , I am well aware of the dolphins scheme and what the nickel and dime packages are so don't insult my intelligence.
Second, I really don't think thats what he meant. It sounded to me like he was saying knight was going to play LB and not S.
And third, obviously the dolphins "scheme" your talking about needs a few changes since we didn't make the playoffs. And yes , I know it was partially because of a lack of a passing game and the end of the year but it was also because of our pass defense. Mainly our lack of turnovers or big plays when we need them most. Which is exactly what Knight brings to the table . Whether he is up near the line or dropped back , he makes plays. And not at the LB position.

So go stick up for someone else !

Now I must stick up for dolfan87...

I would appreciate it if you would show him some more respect... Maybe you didn't notice that he is Finheaven member #2! Perhaps being relatively new here you don't know that he has been, until recently, an administrator on this site and still deserves the same reverence he had while he was one...

Else you run the risk of alientating yourself from all those who still hold 87 in esteem for what he has been for this site...

By the way, how do you accidently call someone an idiot?:tsk:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me this.....How did I show disrespect to dolfan87.

By sticking up for myself when he TRIED to insinuate I didn't know what I was talking about? I understand he's been here a while and is a former administrator, and thats great. But I will react to a post thats directed towards me the same no matter who posts it.

And I apologize to jeffjewell for calling him an idiot. Even though idiot is not a very harsh word that should hurt feelings. But I was just so surprised at his comment that it just came out. And what I meant by accident , I forgot I was breaking the T.O.S.

Tell me this.....How did I show disrespect to dolfan87.

Well it was more the tone I perceived, combined with the following statement to 87 that bothered me:

So go stick up for someone else!

But I guess I may have been a little too defensive...

Your an idiot!

I think you mean "You're an idiot!"

"Your" is a possessive pronoun, such as might be used in the sentenence "Both your grammar and your opinion are of questionable worth."

"You're" is a contraction for the words "you are," which is what it appears you meant to say.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it, soon! English is a difficult second language to pick up.

-Jeff
www.jjewell.com

PS: what I meant with the Knight/linebackers comment is that our coaches just aren't going to want Knight to be one of our safeties. Sure, they'll sign the guy if they can get him for a song and he will fit into the system much as 87 suggests... but I really don't think the coaches see him as some here do: as a flat out replacement for Marion or Freeman. Knight's size and physicality are far more similar to Eddie Moore (a classic linebacker in the this Dolphins' defense) than the series of CBs that get converted to safeties, in Davie.

I don't know how much simpler to say it. I don't think Rick and Dave are pursuing Knight rabidly because I don't think they see him as being a safety on the Dolphins defense... I just don't think they want him very badly. I think they'd be more interested in Knight if he was a linebacker that other teams might want to move to safety.

Well , I'm sure sorry I apologized to you now. I didn't come hear for an english lesson . If I wanted to take the time to type perfectly , I could. But I really don't care if my spelling , capitalization, or grammar are up to YOUR qualifications. And YOU'RE now proving that my first impression of you was correct. Wandstedt has already stated that he would like to have Knight. He said nothing about playing him at LB regardless of his size. Safety is the position he has been successfull playing. Who cares what the dolphins basic mold for a safety is. Is that set in stone? Why would we pursue him for that position when we signed junior and drafted eddie moore. We will sing Sammy Knight. He will play safety. And YOU ARE wrong.:stupid:

I'm sure sorry I apologized to you now.

No need to be sorry... the apology was insincere enough that no one though you meant it, anyway. You're still a take no prisooners, make no apologies kinda hombre, as far as I can see.

As far as being wrong, I'm going to wait and see what actually happens before I declare who best predicted it. Cart and horse issue, you know.

-Jeff
www.jjewell.com

PS:
Why would we pursue him for that position
Nobody said anything about the Dolphins pursuing him for that position (I damn near said exactly the opposite, pointing out I'd expect the 'Fins to be _more_ active trying to get Knight if he _was_ going to play linebacker); I was simply offering a logical and historically supportable reason that the Dolphins were not pursuing him the way a team might typically pursue a Pro-Bowl calibre starting safety they want: because they do not see him as a Pro-Bowl calibre starting safety in this defense.

This isn't my choice vs your choice; it's what I think the coaches choice will be vs your choice. Make things personal if you want, but that just gives me more one-liner opportunities.

-Jeff
www.jewell.com

Back
Top Bottom