If you were the GM | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If you were the GM

nick1

I am Groot
Club Member
Reaction score
What moves would you make?

I would cut Jay and Brian, then sign Ricky Ray and Mark Brunell and then draft Micheal Clayton and o-linemen

Restructure alot of D players, cut unnecessary fat and get about 10+ mil UNDER the cap at least. Look hard and heavy for OL and WR [mostly] in FA along with a vet QB. use 1st draft pick for Rivers. Use rest of draft mainly om OL and wR depending on who was signed in FA.

Get a 1 & 3 for wally
Pick up bruce, brunell & RT in FA
Trade next years 1st for Henson
Draft: Clayton, Carey
Restructure D contracts Cut BG and Jay

nah, i just meant were all playing GM these days and eveyone, myself included has posted numerous times on what we should do... wonder if i can go back, find my others and just cut and paste

I think Ricky Ray could be our future QB

First i'd cut Griese. I can't believe they haven't done that yet.
Free agents I would Keep: A. Freeman, T. Minor, T. Buck, M. Turk.

I'd try to get a 1st & 3rd for Ogun (I was opposed to losing him but after much consideration, I decided he's a product of J. Taylor and any LE we get would do just as well)

Draft: I'd definatley go for Rivers in the first. Then if we get another 1st rounder I'd go for Best available between O-Line or WR.

Free agents I'd look to aquire are OLB Dhani Jones (NYG), WR Dennis Northcutt (CLE) and OT Orlando Pace (STL).

I'd Keep Feidler for one more year :eek: because even though he's not a Franchise QB, he's a solid back up and we've survived 4 seasons w/ him, 1 more isn't going to hurt. That way we don't have to waist money on Burnell or Warner. But I'd definatly be willing to let Rivers start and go through some growing pains, unless he absolutely couldn't handle it.

So there you have it. Lukin's 2004 superbowl blueprint.

- Pimp Adewale Ogunleye for the 1st and 3rd tender. :wharf:
- Keep Jay as a backup. If he won't accept that roll, cut him.
- Todd Wade will likely be gone. I'd sign a quality replacement at RT, although I would sign him before Brunell since whoever the RT's agent is will try to use the "blind side" argument as leverage.
- If Jay is cut, bring Griese back after a substantial paycut and let him duke it out with Brunell.
- Restructure contracts wherever possible, especially on the defense.
- Make a serious run at "Meshawn" to fill the #2 WR spot.
- This has been overlooked, but I would do whatever I have to do to re-sign Travis Minor. He's been good whenever given the chance, and he spells Ricky. Enough said.
- Use one first rounder to draft a rookie QB
- Use the other first rounder to draft the best available offensive lineman, preferrably center. I don't have faith in McKinney. He couldn't beat out an injured Ruddy, so how good can he be? The coaching staff gave him enough opportunity to succeed. Next.
- The third round pick depends on who's still on the board. If there's still a very good offensive lineman available in the second round, I would try to trade up and get him, even if it means trading both third rounders.
- Sign a quality guard or center in FA.
I know some of you disagree with some of what I posted, but you just can't fix ALL your problems in one year. With Ricky as the best player on our offense, we need to have bodies in front of him who can block for him. We have a gaping hole in our OL (no pun intended)...much worse off than our lack of receiving corps. The WR is always the sexy pick, but we basically have to replace 4 off lineman. We can't count on Nails, Dixon, McKinney, and Wade who will likely be gone. Todd Perry I guess would be okay if the rest of the line wasn't so bad.
Signing KJ would patch up that position for a year or two so we can focus on getting a WR next year. It's also possible that J.R. Tolver could really come on and be a strong addition. If we go after WR and neglect the OL, whoever our QB is will be flat on his back anyway.
Someone needs to tell the FO that we're not "close". :rolleyes: I'm tired of hearing that. We've been "close" since I don't know when. The Eagles are close. The Titans are close. We need 4 offensive lineman and at least 1 WR, plus a QB to be serious contenders.

AND I WOULDN'T SPEND A PENNY ON THE DEFENSE...NOT ONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Lukin

I'd try to get a 1st & 3rd for Ogun (I was opposed to losing him but after much consideration, I decided he's a product of J. Taylor and any LE we get would do just as well)

Draft: I'd definatley go for Rivers in the first. Then if we get another 1st rounder I'd go for Best available between O-Line or WR.

Free agents I'd look to aquire are OLB Dhani Jones (NYG), WR Dennis Northcutt (CLE) and OT Orlando Pace (STL).

I'd Keep Feidler for one more year :eek: because even though he's not a Franchise QB, he's a solid back up and we've survived 4 seasons w/ him, 1 more isn't going to hurt. That way we don't have to waist money on Burnell or Warner. But I'd definatly be willing to let Rivers start and go through some growing pains, unless he absolutely couldn't handle it.

I think that might be best for the team and it's not like we can't win with Rivers, we have a good D and Ricky Williams, besides we won with Jay, I like that one

Originally posted by Lukin

Fiedler's cap # is pushing 6 mil next season. besdies, he has said he won't accept a backup role anyway. He'd have to at least restructure and probably start the season as the starter at least. haven't looked at the best situation, restructure or cutting.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Fiedler's cap # is pushing 6 mil next season. besdies, he has said he won't accept a backup role anyway. He'd have to at least restructure and probably start the season as the starter at least. haven't looked at the best situation, restructure or cutting.

He didn't say he wouldn't accept a backup role. He said he would not take it with out a chance in Training Camp. All he wants is the chance. I see nothing wrong with that. He has been the starter here for 4 years and if we keep him he should go into camp knowing he has the chance to be the starter. If whoever we get fairly beats him out (which should be a no brainer) they he will accept his back up role. I don't think we should bring in a qb and say "jay your on the bench now." we should give him the chance (if we keep him at a much lower price) and whoever we bring in should beat him out. If we bring in somebody that can't beat Jay out of the job then it was a stupid pick up.
As far as Rivers starting, I have mixed emotions on that. If they went that route I wouldn't be upset. I'm curious if he could handle it. I think our system is one of the few that we could start a rookie qb. Our whole plan is defense and running.

The real quistion I have, if we let ogun go for a 1st and 3rd. say the 1st is higher then ours (most likely). say it is between 10-15. do we take rivers with that pick?? or chance it and hope he is still there by 20?? I really like Rivers and would love to have him on this team.. I am not impressed by Lossman and hope we dont draft him.. To me there is alot more to a QB then just size and arm strength... and Rivers seems to have it all.

Hell no we don't take Rivers with a 10-15 pick...Shawn Andrews BABY!!

Then snag Rivers with the later one.

Unless of course we get Henson for a future pick, then nab Clayton at 20.

- Make a serious run at "Meshawn" to fill the #2 WR spot.

No way, keep Keyshawn out of Miami please. This guys a trouble maker and he's not worth the money at all. We're already the laughing stock of the League. Besides, he doesn't want to play for the dolphins. Not long after he got kicked out of Tampa, he was on NFL Total Access and they asked were he'd like to play. He said New England and I forget who else. But not Miami. I hope he goes to NE and causes them to suck.

I'd fire Wanny and hire Romeo Crennel.....but since that's not possible, I'd do the following.

- Do an A$$-Ton of restructuring/pay-cutting.
- Sign Brunell. (If he gets too ignorant, just keep JF).
- Trade a future pick for Henson.
- Tender Wale and get a 1st round pick for him (possibly a 3rd too)
- If Shawn Andrews is available at first pick, take him. If he's not, go with Clayton and Carey.
- DL/LB/Depth in the remaining rounds.
- Sign 2 Olinemen, Villarrial for one.....

Back
Top Bottom