I'm having a debate with a friend | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm having a debate with a friend

Since the general consensus is the assumption Miami will not keep four Qb's on the roster I guess you have to break it down in terms of value.

The second assumption is no one with the first name of Chad is going to get traded that leaves the following question:

What can you get in return for what is left and what do you have invested?

a) With White you have a second round pick invested and no hope of retrieving that pick but you more then likely can get a player of equal talent.
b) With Thigpen you have a fifth round pick invested and good chance of getting that pick back or a player of equal talent with the outside shot at a higher pick or higher talented player if you find a team that is desperate.

It wouldn't surprise me if Thigpen is traded based on the above conditions just by the simple fact that return on investment dictates that Thigpen has more curb appeal then White and the chance to offer a player that can fill a need or a pick that returns the same amount of value invested in said player.

I guess this saga will unfold with the passing of time and maybe we are all wrong and Penny gets the boot or Miami keeps four QB's.

You don't look at ROI when selling something, only when buying it. Once you've bought something its a sunk cost.

For example, I buy two cars:
A) Dodge Neon - $50k (I've over paid for this car because it had a cool paint job, i.e. Pat White) This car has always had a bad engine, lack of power, and burns oil; probably going to die.
B) Ford Fusion - $2k (I got a steal on this car at police auction, potentially worth more than I paid) This car runs ok, but still isn't a Ferrari.

If I could sell both for $5k each, based on your logic I should sell the Fusion because I paid more for the Neon? This leaves me with a busted car that I probably should still get rid of.

They should ignore the sunk cost of the draft pick and determine which is better to have on the roster.

Cars can't fix themselves. Maybe Pat can. I still believe 1 year is not a good measuring stick, ESPECIALLY when your used in make shift formations in which you throw the ball two-three times in a whole season. The other attempt or two was from the Steelers game.

You don't look at ROI when selling something, only when buying it. Once you've bought something its a sunk cost.

For example, I buy two cars:
A) Dodge Neon - $50k (I've over paid for this car because it had a cool paint job, i.e. Pat White) This car has always had a bad engine, lack of power, and burns oil; probably going to die.
B) Ford Fusion - $2k (I got a steal on this car at police auction, potentially worth more than I paid) This car runs ok, but still isn't a Ferrari.

If I could sell both for $5k each, based on your logic I should sell the Fusion because I paid more for the Neon? This leaves me with a busted car that I probably should still get rid of.

They should ignore the sunk cost of the draft pick and determine which is better to have on the roster.
Proof that the FO agrees with what you are saying is that they didn't wait and keep Ginn until they could get a 1st pick for him, they got what they could and moved on. White is not, and never will be a wildcat QB. He was a pistal package type of QB to begin with. He is no longer useful to this team and that is why we are not seeing him on game day. There is no way he doesn't sniff the field if they have interest in keeping him. It doesn't make sense. They get to see him every day and they already have their mind made up that he isn't worth wasting snaps on or he would be out there during the preseason. No hidden agenda, no conspiracy, just common sense. His bags are packed for the CFL. If things turn around up there we will see where he is next year, but for now he is as good as gone. PERIOD!!!!!

Cars can't fix themselves. Maybe Pat can. I still believe 1 year is not a good measuring stick, ESPECIALLY when your used in make shift formations in which you throw the ball two-three times in a whole season. The other attempt or two was from the Steelers game.
Pat hasn't thrown many passes, but there are better quarterbacks on the roster than him. I would rather cut White then end up trading Thigpen or Pennington.

Pat hasn't thrown many passes, but there are better quarterbacks on the roster than him. I would rather cut White then end up trading Thigpen or Pennington.
forget the fact that he hasnt really thrown so many passes, hes way to small, and i feel his vision is hurt when in the pocket because he cant see the whole field so well over the big linebackers etc.

i remember last year the finale vs pittsburgh i said to my father who i watch every game with that hes to small and he wont be able to play qb, 3 players later ryan clark drills him.

he just isnt made to be an nfl qb plain and simple.

forget the fact that he hasnt really thrown so many passes, hes way to small, and i feel his vision is hurt when in the pocket because he cant see the whole field so well over the big linebackers etc.

i remember last year the finale vs pittsburgh i said to my father who i watch every game with that hes to small and he wont be able to play qb, 3 players later ryan clark drills him.

he just isnt made to be an nfl qb plain and simple.
I don't think he has the skills or the build to be a decent NFL QB.

Back
Top Bottom