Important to lose | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Important to lose

The Bengals definitely out-tanked us, but that organization is hopeless and whoever gets drafted number 1 by them is going to go into a horrible situation. Their method of tanking is just incompetence.
Ours was at least calculated and done with an eye to getting better fast.
I think we need to start warming up to the idea of either Justin Herbert or we are giving Rosen a full shot next year. The problem with Tua going down is that it sends a ripple effect through the whole top of the draft. One less premier QB prospect may send teams scrambling with crazy trade ups. It wouldn't surprise me to see a historic type of trade up for Herbert, because after him, what is there?
Watched Fromm vs Auburn yesterday. Have seen three Georgia games this year and I will not pretend to be an expert, but I can't see Fromm going high. He made maybe two throws that were nice, otherwise he looked like any other nobody playing QB. I would take Fromm in the 3rd to compete with Rosen, maybe.
It may be better, if Herbert doesn't drop to us, to wait the year out- again, no expert, but doesn't Wake Forest and Cincinnati have a couple of guys who could be serious QB's that would be in play next year? To get Lawrence, like some posters suggested, might be another pipe dream. Can't imagine he isn't going first overall whenever he comes out, unless he comes completely apart.
Another thing to remember about the current draft order- aren't we fourth because some teams have played more games than us? It is so skewed right now. Can't worry about that yet...plus don't Washington and NYJets play today?

With Tua a long term question, do we think it is even more important to finish with a pick high enough to get Herbert, Burrow, Fromm, Furst? IMO we have enough holes that I do not want to trade picks to go up.

no. Take the qb in 2021. Build the team this year. Get everything in place for a quick turnaround. The qb class of 2021 is worth waiting on.
If burrow is there, you take him. Maybe someone else off the radar will emerge but herbert or Fromm is not worth building a team around.

Take a QB in 2021?? You do realize Lawrence and Fields will probably go in top 5 of that draft. Unless we are God awful again next year we will miss out on them too

Take a QB in 2021?? You do realize Lawrence and Fields will probably go in top 5 of that draft. Unless we are God awful again next year we will miss out on them too

we have a ton of picks we can package up in a trade. Build the team this year then get a star qb.

and yes i realize that. Its common sense. We need a star here.

With Tua a long term question, do we think it is even more important to finish with a pick high enough to get Herbert, Burrow, Fromm, Furst? IMO we have enough holes that I do not want to trade picks to go up.
Let the chips fall where they may. A coaching staff that is good enough to win more games than expected with this roster is a very valuable thing and it makes where we draft less important.

It’s still important to get a high pick. If Miami would have just lost out and not gone for meaningless wins then we could have still drafted Burrow. Too many posters have zero vision. They only see one week at a time and get excited about meaningless wins. Burrow is off the board but Young can be ours. But keep winning and we could even lose the option to draft Herbert. Also, trading up is just stupid when you have this many holes.

Hurts is an excellent college QB but I just don’t see him having success in the NFL.He doesn’t have that good of an arm and he tends to take off running if his first option is covered. That is okay if you are playing for Alabama or Oklahoma but not as a QB in the NFL.

I would have no problem if they take a flyer on Hurts in the 5th or 6th round but I would hate to see them waste a draft pick on him in the first 4 rounds.

And Lamar Jackson should be a running back. Truth is, we don’t know how Jalen Hurts Will project in the NFL, but he is an explosive player and I’m sure our staff will evaluate and consider him as well as all of the other prospects. So I’d be careful about making such a blanket assumption based on the limited amount info that you likely have.

Last edited:
If we aren't going to get the #1 pick and Tua isn't going to be there to take after Cincy take Burrow then I see less pressure to lose.

no. Take the qb in 2021. Build the team this year. Get everything in place for a quick turnaround. The qb class of 2021 is worth waiting on.
If burrow is there, you take him. Maybe someone else off the radar will emerge but herbert or Fromm is not worth building a team around.
Umm, we have enough draft picks to take a QB in both years and still build our team not to mention a ridiculous amount of salary cap space. No way we don’t take at least one QB in the first 2 rounds this year, to not do so would be stupid. I mean we have 14 picks in 2020 and 11 in 2021 we can afford to use at least one or 2 of them to address what is only the most important position on the team no?

Last edited:
Frankly, I want Jalen Hurts this year. Kid has exactly the leadership mentality I want for this team. I want a kid who has been through the fire and knows how to handle himself in adversity.

The career path he has had to endure to remain on top is definitely one that inspires men to follow.

I’d draft him in the 5th.

After thinking about it since his injury yesterday, I have come to the conclusion that if the doctors clear him, Tua will likely be drafted in the top 10. The Dolphins FO could decide to go ahead and draft him with their first pick and then let him fully heal by starting a veteran QB next year.

It is going to take the Dolphins 2 to 3 years to rebuild this roster. So there will be no hurry to force Tua to be the starter immediately. With all their draft picks over the next two drafts and all their cap space, they can effectively rebuild the roster with competent talent and by the 2021 season Tua will hopefully be fully healthy and ready to be the Dolphins franchise QB.

We were not tanking at all. You gotta think how stupid it would be to tank for someone and you dont know the future. The person you are tanking for could get injured (interesting) could not wanna play for us...or could possibly not even come out in the draft...its too unpredictable to throw a way a season at the start..thats why there was never no tank.
The FO is tanking, not the coaches, not the players but clearly the FO are tanking.

Hard to build a winning culture if you deliberately lose .

And Lamar Jackson should be a running back. Truth is, we don’t know how Jalen Hurts Will project in the NFL, but he is an explosive player and I’m sure our staff will evaluate and consider him as well as all of the other prospects. So I’d be careful about making such a blanket assumption based on the limited amount info that you likely have.

Yeah,seeing whatLamar is doing is amazing. I’m curious to see how long he can keep it up

After thinking about it since his injury yesterday, I have come to the conclusion that if the doctors clear him, Tua will likely be drafted in the top 10. The Dolphins FO could decide to go ahead and draft him with their first pick and then let him fully heal by starting a veteran QB next year.

It is going to take the Dolphins 2 to 3 years to rebuild this roster. So there will be no hurry to force Tua to be the starter immediately. With all their draft picks over the next two drafts and all their cap space, they can effectively rebuild the roster with competent talent and by the 2021 season Tua will hopefully be fully healthy and ready to be the Dolphins franchise QB.
With this injury, there is no possibility that the doctors clear him for anything" other than walking without crutches, before the draft, and there is zero possibility he participates in the combine.

If it were "just" a dislocated hip, there might be time, but he has a fracture, requiring surgery, as well.

The timeline for what you suggest is just not realistic.

Back
Top Bottom