In all fairness and in the name of equality... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

In all fairness and in the name of equality...

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
I am very critical of the Feeley move (in case you hadn't noticed), but I am very impressed with the house cleaning going on. I have said on several occasions on this forum that with the exception of Chambers, Ricky and McMichael that the rest of our entire offense could not start for another team in the NFL.

I am glad to see Speilman has the nuggets to clean out some dead wood. I just hope he is smart enough to get some talent in behind it that is an upgrade.

Especially good to see them free up the salary cap space. That is why I never pay attention ot the "we can't afford XYZ player" because if you want someone you find a way. Teams have been doing it for years.

So props go out to Rick Speilman in this capacity.

Now I have three words for you Rick:

Rivers
Woody
Woods

GO Fins!

Fin-atic

Originally posted by fin-atic
the rest of our entire offense could not start for another team in the NFL.

You are being facetious, right?

Rob Konrad couldn't get a starting job on any other team?

Todd Wade?

I like:
Clifton
Losman
Woods or Williams(Reggie,Mike,or Roy)

woody is hurt.. is he worth his price .. if he can't get on the field... i think he is a risk with an mcl injury

Why can't you just give QB AJ Feeley a chance???....

You said you like the way Rick is cleaning house, and that you're happy he's tossing the dead wood....

But then when it comes to Rick bringing in AJ, it's all over for us???.... "ganggreen"....:D

In all fairness, you should at least give this kid a chance. Rick wouldn't have made this decision to go with AJ if he didn't like it...

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

Of course I am going to give him a chance. I still dont; like going into the season with one QB. I will take Feeley and still draft Rivers for the number two spot and to learn.

Is that so bad?

Sorry Blitz but I think the Feeley thing is going to be disasterous. But he is our guy I am behind him.

I am glad to not have Jay not taking snaps anymore. My greatest fear?

Feeley and Fiedler

God take me to a happy place.

Good post fin-atic.....I like the house cleaning myself....I think AJ will be an upgrade over Fiedler and I can be happy about that but, I respect your view on the deal too.....I just hope you're wrong so I can rub it in later...;) :lol:

I think maybe you went a little overboard though fin-atic. Todd Wade could start for a lot of NFL teams. So could Rob Konrad. You could be right about everyone else though...but I have a sneaking suspicion that some of our cuts, most likely Ruddy, will find work elsewhere.

Otherwise I too am glad we're clearing out the dead wood and allowing youngsters to come in.

As for Rivers, don't get your hopes up. I think the Phins might take him if he were available, but I don't see him being available. He's too talented for that. When a guy is that good even a team that doesn't put high priority on QB will end up taking him. As it is there's a number of teams in this league that would be all too happy to position themselves through trade to take Rivers somewhere around pick #10 or something. The Chargers are supposedly so high on him they might trade down out of the Eli Manning pick, to get Rivers at a lower price. Everyone keeps thinking that if he makes it past Pittsburgh and Buffalo, he'll make it to #20. Not true. Truth is the only teams picking in the top 19 that for sure will not take a QB are the Skins (provided they don't trade Ramsey away), the Lions, the Falcons, the Jaguars, the Texans, the Jets, the Bears, the Bengals, and the Vikings.

Thats it. Everyone else, it depends on what they really think about Rivers. The Saints are not as high on Brooks as they once were, and this is the same team that drafted Deuce McAlister right after Ricky Williams had run for over 1300 yards for them. They drafted Deuce because they just outright felt he fell too far (and he did, I remember he was considered right up there with Tomlinson by a lot, and LT got chosen #5, Deuce fell to #23). With the whole "everyone needs two quarterbacks" mantra thats become so popular, that opens up a whole lot of doors.

The 49ers are dumping Garcia, and yeah they like Tim Rattay, but do you really think they regard him as a superstar in the making? They could easily find themselves drafting Rivers (but I think Losman would be a better fit for them).

Tampa Bay could draft Rivers. Why not. The only guy they've got behind the aged one Brad Johnson was the last pick in the 3rd round. Sure, they like him, but do you think they like him THAT much, that they'd pass on a guy that everyone is quickly starting to regard as right up there with Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger?

I once thought Buffalo wouldn't do it...but they seem to be REAL high on him. Now I think that the only sure thing is that the team that signs/drafts Drew Henson, will not draft Rivers. The most likely candidates for Henson seem Buffalo or Pitt...actually the most likely scenario to me seems to be Henson re-entering the draft but still...Buffalo's a big threat to take Rivers. They aren't happy with Bledsoe. Then of course there's the Steelers. They are really high on Rivers right now too. Then you got the Browns at #8 depending on what happens in the coming weeks with the Tim Couch situation because he could be cut (its a very real possibility) and if thats the case they become immediate candidates to draft a QB. Then the Chargers, Raiders, Cardinals, and Giants all have room for a rookie QB on their roster. And after pick #20, the Cowboys, Packers, and Chiefs all have room for rookie QBs too. They could easily be a threat by trading up.

Point is that about 14 teams in the league could use a rookie QB to groom because they are either unhappy with their starter, their starter is getting old, or they are unimpressed with the guy they've already got being groomed. With that many teams present, it all depends on where they have Rivers ranked on their boards. Some are bound to have him ranked lower because of the throwing motion. Others, though are bound to rank him higher because of how incredibly impressive he really is. Either someone will trade into the spot where they take him, or they will just select him higher, but either way, I seriously doubt (but hope anyway) that he will make it to #20.

BTW we should consider Lee Evans too as well as Rashaun Woods...and Reggie Williams I think. Evans was once considered the best WR in college football if I'm not mistaken and then got hurt and people just wondered if he'd get his explosiveness back. A 4.34 or 4.37 forty time later, I think he got it back :)

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Tampa Bay could draft Rivers. Why not. The only guy they've got behind the aged one Brad Johnson was the last pick in the 3rd round. Sure, they like him, but do you think they like him THAT much, that they'd pass on a guy that everyone is quickly starting to regard as right up there with Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger?

Simms is awsome. People say he's one of the Best QB's in the draft last year. And Gruden loves him, I even heard they thought about starting him this year. Tampa needs RB and WR more.

The New York Jets have Chad Pennington, that alone eliminates them from a first round QB.

I dunno man, you never know. I know the Bucs are high on Simms so they would be unlikely to take Rivers but it all depends on where they rate him on their board. Its possible they rate him even higher than Manning and Roethlisberger...and if thats the case a guy you had rated as the best or top 5 in the draft falls all the way to you? You take him.

Originally posted by Lukin
Simms is awsome. People say he's one of the Best QB's in the draft last year. And Gruden loves him, I even heard they thought about starting him this year. Tampa needs RB and WR more.

On the NFL Channel in the scouting combine, Gruden was being interviewed and talked about Simms breifly. He talked about Simms struggling a little with the terminology but was expected and Gruden himself said that Gruden and Brad Johnson learned the terminology very quickly and expected Simms to learn it the same way. It did not happen.

Gruden was then asked about the top 3 QB's: Manning, Roethlisberger and Rivers. Gruden gave his evaluations and later said that he doubts they "have the ammunition to go after those guys" including Rivers.

So with that nice interview, you got the sense of how highly Rivers was being touted and viewed from top coaches in the NFL that put a big emphasis on the QB position. I don't think Buccs would pass on Rivers.

I personally woud like for Miami to go after Jeff Smoker in the later rounds. Maybe use a 3rd rounder??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom