In Good Hands With Fasano | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

In Good Hands With Fasano

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
Fantastic Fasano- From PFF
Still, there are plenty who can be proud of their performances. Take Anthony Fasano for example, who went the entire year without dropping a single pass. He may not excite a fanbase like some other tight ends, but he’s once again proven to be a reliable weapon for his quarterback.
He was the only tight end not to drop a pass, while three others all ended the year with only the one drop. Of them, Jacob Tamme caught the most balls and so finished second overall, highlighting how effective he was despite being a situational player.

RankNameTeamTargetsCatchesDropsCatchableDrop Rate
1 Anthony FasanoMIA61410410
2 Jacob TammeDEN80521531.89
3 Zach J. MillerSEA46381392.56
4 Jeff CumberlandNYJ52291303.33
5 Tony GonzalezATL121934974.12
6 Dennis PittaBLT90613644.69
7 Heath MillerPIT93714755.33
8 Greg OlsenCAR96694735.48
9 Ben WatsonCLV74493525.77
10 Dallas ClarkTB69473506

I've read a number of posters complain about Fasano's hands. Let's put that to rest. In addition to the above from last year, the year before he caught 32 with 1 drop, and the year before that he caught 39 wit two drops. He also has not had a fumble in three years, scoring 5, 5, and 4 TD's, while being a top blocker.

Complain, if ya like about his speed but, not his hands, production, or value to the team.

That is excellent no doubt, but Ive watched him play and he is not a great pass catching TE. He is a solid all round TE. Id love to keep him as our #2 and get another guy to work the seams.

I have no problem with Fasano. We have bigger needs at WR and CB.

Shore up WR and CB, and bring in a 2nd TE for the pass catching. keep fasano.

Criminally underrated player.

He was MIA for a massive part of the year, when Tannehill could have used a security blanket. He had less receiving yards than every other starting tight end and some backups. He's a mediocre blocker, and some people want to crown him an end zone threat because of his five touchdowns, which puts only puts him T-16. I really don't understand the praise he gets - probably one of the most overrated Dolphins of the last few years. He's a #2 on the vast majority of teams or even a #3 on a few others. Give him backup money or move on.

The problem with Fasano is that he does not fit well into our new system where the tight end is expected to play as a big body slot receiver and be able to create miss matches vs linebackers and safeties.

Still need a legit seam buster.

Granted, and it does not look like Clay or Egnew are going to be that man. Clay has done his damage out out the H-back, and may just be a situational weapon. Without seeing practices, only place Egnew has played, no idea what Sherman and Philbin think of him.

Regardless, Fasano is an asset to the team in blocking, great hands, and scoring some TD's. Why would we not want to keep that? How important is scoring TD's to this team in the red zone?

He's not going to cost a lot, and has proven his worth by his play over the past three years. How many other players can we say that about?

He was MIA for a massive part of the year, when Tannehill could have used a security blanket. He had less receiving yards than every other starting tight end and some backups. He's a mediocre blocker, and some people want to crown him an end zone threat because of his five touchdowns, which puts only puts him T-16. I really don't understand the praise he gets - probably one of the most overrated Dolphins of the last few years. He's a #2 on the vast majority of teams or even a #3 on a few others. Give him backup money or move on.

I see Fasano tied for #10 on TDs, with Aaron Hernandez and Vernon Davis. I also see him at #3 in 2011 on yards per catch among all TE's, and #4 the year before. I also completely disagree on his blocking ability.

I see Fasano tied for #10 on TDs, with Aaron Hernandez and Vernon Davis. I also see him at #3 in 2011 on yards per catch among all TE's, and #4 the year before. I also completely disagree on his blocking ability.

He's smack dab middle of the pack in touchdowns, which isn't impressive considering he's the only person worth targetting in the end zone because Hartline and bess lack size. If he caught 7 or 8 it's a bit more impressive, but what objective nfl fan looks at his 5 touchdowns and says "wow, miami sure needs to bring that guy back"

By the way, he had a career low in yards, yards per catch, first downs, etc in a contract year nonetheless. It's not like the system made him ineffective, he actually had the most targets he's ever had. Does no one remember that god awful stretch from weeks 8-14? Even if he was the best blocker in the NFL, he'd still be considered mediocre with those numbers.

If you can provide some insight on his blocking ability id love to hear it, but it certainly didn't do us any good this year. We couldn't protect the qb effectively and we certainly didn't run effectively. He should be held partially responsible for that

coaches like him. so do I. end of story. there must be a smarter reason than stats to this game we call football.

Get another one to take the heat off and watch the offense go. He has been consistent in his abilities although not ever tops. This is a team sport. Not fanstasy league here.

He's smack dab middle of the pack in touchdowns, which isn't impressive considering he's the only person worth targetting in the end zone because Hartline and bess lack size. If he caught 7 or 8 it's a bit more impressive, but what objective nfl fan looks at his 5 touchdowns and says "wow, miami sure needs to bring that guy back"

By the way, he had a career low in yards, yards per catch, first downs, etc in a contract year nonetheless. It's not like the system made him ineffective, he actually had the most targets he's ever had. Does no one remember that god awful stretch from weeks 8-14? Even if he was the best blocker in the NFL, he'd still be considered mediocre with those numbers.

If you can provide some insight on his blocking ability id love to hear it, but it certainly didn't do us any good this year. We couldn't protect the qb effectively and we certainly didn't run effectively. He should be held partially responsible for that

here is the part I love.....who do you replace him with?

here is the part I love.....who do you replace him with?

Perhaps one of the many free agent tight ends that would be an immediate upgrade? Guys like Jared Cook, Dennis Pitta and Martellus Bennett aren't just tight ends incorporated into the passing game. They're all tight ends that create mismatches and give defenses something to worry about, and they're all immediate upgrades.

In the draft Eifert is the only person I can see coming in and immediately improving the position. Once again I'm not opposed to bringing fasano back as a backup, no more than 2-3 million a year. He is NO starter though.

Also, I feel the stats I posted more than show his ineptitude in the passing game, but if you objectively watched him play this year, you'd see no defense fears him, and he's not that great of a blocker. I definitely feel that rumor about us moving on from him has legs - he's just not good enough.

Perhaps one of the many free agent tight ends that would be an immediate upgrade? Guys like Jared Cook, Dennis Pitta and Martellus Bennett aren't just tight ends incorporated into the passing game. They're all tight ends that create mismatches and give defenses something to worry about, and they're all immediate upgrades.

In the draft Eifert is the only person I can see coming in and immediately improving the position. Once again I'm not opposed to bringing fasano back as a backup, no more than 2-3 million a year. He is NO starter though.

Also, I feel the stats I posted more than show his ineptitude in the passing game, but if you objectively watched him play this year, you'd see no defense fears him, and he's not that great of a blocker. I definitely feel that rumor about us moving on from him has legs - he's just not good enough.

And that is exactly what I propose.

Upgrade with Eifert while keeping Fasano.

http://www.nfl.com/player/dustinkeller/1074/profile

thought I would post Keller's stats even though you did not mention him.

Pitta is on a superbowl team, dont think he will go anywhere unless they are strapped. Jared Cook I keep hearing his name. But I dont hear much else in comparison and he would need to learn the playbook and probly a little more expensive.

I just look for details. I keep hearing names and badmouthing our current players but never seem to see something I can chew on that makes sense. oh well.

Back
Top Bottom