In the NFL, there's always a need for speed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

In the NFL, there's always a need for speed

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This was a good article about how speed is used in the NFL, it features the Dolpins Mcknight, who btw runs a 4.24 40, wow, I didn't think he was that fast.

But McKnight was describing a situation in seattle about WR's and running backs. It reminded me of the debates we had earlier about who to start at WR. He used the analogy that I did, of course, otherwise I wouldn't have point this out. But here's what he said.

''The great thing about having speed guys is [running back] Chris Warren was going to the Pro Bowl,'' McKnight said. ``We had a running back that was benefiting from us stretching the defense and getting guys out in their back-pedal, getting the safeties out of there so they won't play eight-man fronts. Just having speed out on the field, that just changed the whole dimension of the game.''

Procisely my argument about starting CC and Mcknight and letting Ricky do his thing. I'm just glad that my years of playing and watching has indeed taught me something.

Here's the rest:

Dolphins receiver McKnight knows being fast can usually secure

Oh but MD there's a snag in your theory.... JF has to be able to get the ball deep accurately and consistently or it doesn't matter, they'll still put 8 in the box.

Originally posted by dolfan4good
Oh but MD there's a snag in your theory.... JF has to be able to get the ball deep accurately and consistently or it doesn't matter, they'll still put 8 in the box.

No snag, Teams don't know when Jay will hit one, so they still have to respect the speed and the probabilities..:D

Last edited by a moderator:
We had those two lined up at the end of last year.... teams still put 8 in the box. They have no respect for Fiedler's arm or accuracy. I really hope he proves them wrong this year!

Originally posted by dolfan4good
We had those two lined up at the end of last year.... teams still put 8 in the box. They have no respect for Fiedler's arm or accuracy. I really hope he proves them wrong this year!

Ricky ran crazy yards during that strength, Fielder didn't have strenght in that hand, but he did hit McKnight on some good downfield sideline passes, remember NE. Do you think they can do that to him now?

That one play was a big time one by McKnight. Fiedler's throw was good but not exceptionally great. I still cannot believe he missed McKnight on that throw to the endzone. He had badly burned Otis Smith.

Originally posted by Jaj
That one play was a big time one by McKnight. Fiedler's throw was good but not exceptionally great. I still cannot believe he missed McKnight on that throw to the endzone. He had badly burned Otis Smith.

Boy didn't he, hit that one, game over. But they shouldn't have even need that TD..I hope our D is a lot better, hopefully the new depth on the D will allow them to rotate more this year and keep them fresh.

Yeah he really should have hit McKnight on that play, close but no cigar. The again, he had a nice long pass to McKnight in the same game for a TD. Then again, we shouldn't have needed that TD. Our D + the Refs blew that one.

Scoring 3 points in the 2nd half is hardly the defenses fault.. Fiedler choked on an easy pass.... Can't blame just one or 2 aspects of the game.. Mare missed a usual automatic field goal that was set up by MArions INT, Wanny calls 3 pass plays, Fiedler misses a wide open McKnight in the end zone, defense allows Patriots to drive 25-30 yards for the winning field goal, Minor doesnt catch a kickoff instead lets it bounce to the 2 yard line... Too many things went wrong that game... The "Defense + refs" were not to take all the blame blame for the game.. Not even Wannstedt..

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Scoring 3 points in the 2nd half is hardly the defenses fault..

True, but giving up 11 in the final 5 minutes is. (even though they had help getting there.)

Oh and Ward catches that pass that Fiedler puts softly right in his hands, we run out the clock, game over.

Lot's of fingers to point after that game, it was a complete meltdown of galactic proportions by damn near everybody on the team.

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Scoring 3 points in the 2nd half is hardly the defenses fault.. Fiedler choked on an easy pass.... Can't blame just one or 2 aspects of the game.. Mare missed a usual automatic field goal that was set up by MArions INT, Wanny calls 3 pass plays, Fiedler misses a wide open McKnight in the end zone, defense allows Patriots to drive 25-30 yards for the winning field goal, Minor doesnt catch a kickoff instead lets it bounce to the 2 yard line... Too many things went wrong that game... The "Defense + refs" were not to take all the blame blame for the game.. Not even Wannstedt..

RBAM, while I agree with some of your points, between the Minn and NE game, the D has a lot to prove to me this year. That #3 ranking, #1 in the AFC is boloney until they become a shut down D. They had two games to prove it when it counted and they didn't. They are middle of the pack right now in my eyes until they show me something all year and not just part of the year. Can't just have enough games stat wise to boost them up. Got to shut down people on the road as well as home. Then I'm a believer.

Btw, the Defense gave up less then 50 yards for those 11 points.(Not including the pass interference). 50 yards for 11 points..That's saying something.

That's how it is supposed to be in the locker room. It is the media and later the fans who start the seperate finger pointing. Then the players start pointing the fingers once they are individually under pressure.

Back
Top Bottom