insider rick spielman on the scouting combine...what a joke | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

insider rick spielman on the scouting combine...what a joke

crowder_rules

Practice Squad
Reaction score
here is first part of an insider article by spielman on scouting...

The scouting combine is the biggest and most important event of the year for NFL personnel departments.

All year, college scouts have traveled the country evaluating players for the upcoming draft. Scouts have watched countless hours of film, evaluated practices, watched players in games and collected as much background information as possible. They also have been able to evaluate and interview some players during all-star games, but the combine brings all of the top collegiate players, including juniors who have entered the draft, to one specific location to be looked over by the actual decision makers from each organization. NFL teams will take different approaches and have different philosophies about what they deem important and what portions of the combine they will focus on the most. It is very important for a team's general manager to establish a game plan for what the organization must achieve at the combine. He must organize more than 40 staff members -- scouts, assistant coaches and even the medical staff...

personally, i dont want to read the rest. i dont think he knows anything about scouting, managing a team. he is a joke. please let the spielman bashing continue...

The only thing Spielman knows how to do is to make some of the dumbest trades in NFL history and screw up playoff teams. Speilman should talk more about that! Whenever I hear his name I get angry!

Teams are better off reading everything he has to say and do the exact opposite. Spielman giving scouting advice :lol:

Willl this gem of an article be followed by other STAPLES of his resume such as 'How to Trade 1st round talent away for a HAM Sandwich" or "How to get DUPED by Mike Tice"?

I still can't get over the fact that he actually traded our 2nd round pick for AJ Feeley....what a joke!

"How to Destroy an Organization in Thirty Days or Less"

-Authored by Dave Wannstedt
-Forward by Rick Spielman

bla bla bla said:
"How to Destroy an Organization in Thirty Days or Less"

-Authored by Dave Wannstedt
-Forward by Rick Spielman

:spit:

[thinks about 2000-2004] :fire:

Yeesh. He was a bad decision maker but he wasn't a bad organizer. He knows what he's about he just has a tendency to be far too aggressive and creative with the GM job, where most GMs are conservative for a reason.

I thought he had some good insights in the article...especially his story about how Josh Heupel lied on his injury forms and didn't tell us about his injured wrist to where we had to file a grievance against him and take back his signing bonus. Oklahoma does not release medical histories to teams, and Josh never had surgery on the wrist so he didn't even have a scar to tip Miami off about it. Heupel really screwed us there.

He also told a story about how in interviews guys would be lying straight to your face...one guy swore he'd never been arrested right while Spielman's looking at his mug shot in his folder on the guy. Another guy will deny a positive drug test right while you're staring at the paperwork that proves it. Some guys will refuse to run at the Combine because they just flew in from thw West Coast so they are afraid of jet lag, so Spielman tells them "We'll be sure to deactivate you then when the team has to travel to the West Coast for an away game, since jet lag effects you so much then." LOL.

I like Rick's organizing ability, I like his attitude when it comes to players sacking up and not taking the easy way out...he's just a bad, bad, bad lead decision maker.

ckparrothead said:
Yeesh. He was a bad decision maker but he wasn't a bad organizer. He knows what he's about he just has a tendency to be far too aggressive and creative with the GM job, where most GMs are conservative for a reason.

I thought he had some good insights in the article...especially his story about how Josh Heupel lied on his injury forms and didn't tell us about his injured wrist to where we had to file a grievance against him and take back his signing bonus. Oklahoma does not release medical histories to teams, and Josh never had surgery on the wrist so he didn't even have a scar to tip Miami off about it. Heupel really screwed us there.

He also told a story about how in interviews guys would be lying straight to your face...one guy swore he'd never been arrested right while Spielman's looking at his mug shot in his folder on the guy. Another guy will deny a positive drug test right while you're staring at the paperwork that proves it. Some guys will refuse to run at the Combine because they just flew in from thw West Coast so they are afraid of jet lag, so Spielman tells them "We'll be sure to deactivate you then when the team has to travel to the West Coast for an away game, since jet lag effects you so much then." LOL.

I like Rick's organizing ability, I like his attitude when it comes to players sacking up and not taking the easy way out...he's just a bad, bad, bad lead decision maker.

thanks for the post, didnt know this(lie detector? must have been through a few marriages). RS was simply not someone you give major control of operations and he has no concept of value(trade away big picks for obscure players).

Rick Spielman knows much more about scouting and the nfl process than everyone on this board. He was actually a part of the process.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Rick Spielman knows much more about scouting and the nfl process than everyone on this board

I would hope so since it's the man's chosen PROFESSION! Just because someone "knows more" about something does not mean that they can translate that knowledge into success.

Wow!!

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Rick Spielman knows much more about scouting and the nfl process than everyone on this board. He was actually a part of the process.

Goes to show you that someone close to 7000 posts might not know as much as someone with less than 25!!:sidelol:

MiamiRon

Rick Spielman sucked here in Miami.....PERIOD

miamiron said:
Goes to show you that someone close to 7000 posts might not know as much as someone with less than 25!!:sidelol:

MiamiRon

Rick Spielman sucked here in Miami.....PERIOD

:lol: Go back to your corner.

[looks at DFD] one... two... three... j/k :D

Back
Top Bottom