Interesting Formations at Dallas | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting Formations at Dallas

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I was watching NFL Matchup just now, and Merril Hoge was talking about how the Dolphins frequently went to 1 WR/2 TE formations (15 times). Most times the Phins were in 1 WR or 2 WR formations. Very rarely was there 3 WRs on the field.

What I didn't notice (until Hoge showed it) was that many of the 3 WR formations were really Donald Lee and Randy McMichael split out wide and Chris Chambers manning the slot. Chambers' final TD came from this package.

We've seen a lot more 2 TE (or 1 TE and Konrad as an H-back) lately. And we saw a lot of nice variation against Dallas.

But I didn't notice this particular wrinkle last week. And it makes me want to watch the game again and look for it more. Heh, I'm sure dolfan87 would do that type of thing. ;)

Anyone else notice that or any other atypical alignment/formation on Thursday??

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that it's nice seeing Konrad in more of an H-back role lately. :)

Alot of people dont like Konrad Catching...
Personally I like it when Fiedler dumps it off to him. It usually results in an easy 13-15 yard gain.

power passing. to go with a power running game.

hey muck, you got a copy of last weeks game? my vcr didn't record it. a reasonable price and shipping and handleing if you do and agree. PM me will ya?

Originally posted by LoXiN
Alot of people dont like Konrad Catching...
Personally I like it when Fiedler dumps it off to him. It usually results in an easy 13-15 yard gain.

Loxin, I totally agree with you. The last two years I've been hoping that Norv would involve more plays designed for Rob. I won't complain about it though as long as our offense is moving the chains.

:apc:

Another thing they did that was interesting was that they had our tackles use a hook and ride technic (similar to pass blocking) to Isolate Konrad on a backer. When Konrad made his block it was then Ricky versus safeties and DB's. It worked.

They also ran alot of weakside counters, and ricky failed to break three tackles...(Roy, Woodson, and Roy again), if he breaks those tackles, the results would have been 30+ yards/possible houser, a 4 yard TD, and a 15 to 20 yard gain. The actual results were: 3 yards, 10 yards, and 7 yards.

In other words, Dallas was lucky that we didn't put 50 on them.

Originally posted by Section126
Another thing they did that was interesting was that they had our tackles use a hook and ride technic (similar to pass blocking) to Isolate Konrad on a backer. When Konrad made his block it was then Ricky versus safeties and DB's. It worked.

They also ran alot of weakside counters, and ricky failed to break three tackles...(Roy, Woodson, and Roy again), if he breaks those tackles, the results would have been 30+ yards/possible houser, a 4 yard TD, and a 15 to 20 yard gain. The actual results were: 3 yards, 10 yards, and 7 yards.

Nice observation bro.

:cool:

One thing I remember from the Giants game (I know this is a little farther back, but might still be used now) was on Ricky's TD run down on the goalline.

That play, we lined up Donald Lee to the left (outside of Smith) and Seth McKinney to the right (outside of Todd Wade), with Randy McMichael motioning to the outside of McKinney. Konrad and Ricky lined up in the "I" behind Jay. No WRs.

The result was a very big hole to the right, with Ricky plowing over CB Will Allen (the only man in his way). Todd Wade took out two defenders to the inside. McKinney took care of Strahan by himself. McMichael sealed off his man. All 11 guys did an excellent job on that play. :cool:

Originally posted by Section126

Yes, very nice work. No shame in being brought down by those two safeties. But it's Ricky. And they got lucky he didn't run them over like he did earler in the game. :)

Well no Ricky has to beat a single guy. I mean those are his chances, he understands that and he is getting back to his late 2002 form.

Originally posted by Jaj
Well no Ricky has to beat a single guy. I mean those are his chances, he understands that and he is getting back to his late 2002 form.

that jim brown speech got him hyped up too, he is also getting stronger, his strength, conditioning is nasty !!

Originally posted by Muck
I was watching NFL Matchup just now, and Merril Hoge was talking about how the Dolphins frequently went to 1 WR/2 TE formations (15 times). Most times the Phins were in 1 WR or 2 WR formations. Very rarely was there 3 WRs on the field.

What I didn't notice (until Hoge showed it) was that many of the 3 WR formations were really Donald Lee and Randy McMichael split out wide and Chris Chambers manning the slot. Chambers' final TD came from this package.

We've seen a lot more 2 TE (or 1 TE and Konrad as an H-back) lately. And we saw a lot of nice variation against Dallas.

But I didn't notice this particular wrinkle last week. And it makes me want to watch the game again and look for it more. Heh, I'm sure dolfan87 would do that type of thing. ;)

Anyone else notice that or any other atypical alignment/formation on Thursday??

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that it's nice seeing Konrad in more of an H-back role lately. :)

The biggest reason for the formations was to keep Dallas out of there "Nickel" Package. Most of their blitzes come from within the "nickel" package.

It was great "scheming" by Norv Turner!

I can't wit to see what he does against the Patsies!

Norv Turner has been mixing it up...which is good, give Defenses looks they have never seen. That is why we signed Norv Turner and why he is considered one of the best IF NOT the best Offensive Coordinator.

Btw..maybe I'm crazy, but does anyone think maybe that McMicheal would be better suited to play as a WR?

I mean, if he lost a little weight, dont you think he could be a killer WR? He'd gain speed with the weight. He's not really that tall for a TE, and doesnt have amazing power or blocking ability. His positives are his strength and atheleticism.

I think Donald Lee is good enough to deserve more of a shot, too.

Dis.. I disagree on McMike's blocking ability.. I have seen him lay out some nice blocks over the course of his career.. He is the whole package. Keep him at TE.

McMicheal not a good blocker?Are you kidding me?McMicheal is a complete TE.

Back
Top Bottom