Interesting OGun perspective | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting OGun perspective

Muck said:
This is just a very basic and uncomplicated explanation of this aspect of the salary cap.

I hate math,
<sarcasm>
so thanks for making me feel better about not understanding what the hell you just said.
</sarcasm>

:confused: :confused: :confused:

LoXiN said:
I hate math,
<sarcasm>
so thanks for making me feel better about not understanding what the hell you just said.
</sarcasm>

:confused: :confused: :confused:
LOL, Now thats funny, I dont care who you are ! :roflmao: Thanks anyway Muck !

Thanks for that guys, I never was taught how it works so I really never knew.

sbh1602 said:
Also, if I'm not mistaken, signing bonuses can't be prorrated over more than 6 years...

That is true right now. Due to the fact that the CBA expires after the 2007 season. However, in the past, bonuses could be amortized up to 7 yrs.

It really is getting to close for comfort with this Ogun Deal. TC is right around the corner, I really want this dude signed. I want miami to have the best defensive line in the game. With OGUN there its really no debate, we will be a very hard team to get an offense going against.

Thanks for the lesson. I never really understood how all that contract/salary cap stuff worked.:confused:

Muck said:
With the way today's salary cap is structured, the BONUS is more like a "base salary" and the BASE SALARY is more like a "bonus"......since the bonus is the only thing guaranteed, while actually seeing even 3/4 of your contract's base salary is a bonus. :tongue:

Huh? :googly:

Muck said:
Look at Damion McIntosh's deal. It's 6 years, $23 million. But the signing bonus is only $300K.
I wasn't too crazy about when they signed McIntosh to that $23 milliion deal, but when I saw that signing bonus:cooldude: ......what a great move. If he doesn't work out then the Dolphins are practically out nothing.

Muck said:
Wale would count $1.35 million ($2 million minus $650K) to the 2004 cap and $9.15 million ($10 million minus $850K) to the 2005 cap.
I'm not trying to argue with you but are you sure that the base salary that year was subtracted from the remaining bonus? If you say you're sure I will take your word for it. If this were the case, then why don't teams when they restructure and know someone won't be around more than a few more years up that base salary to lessen the cap hit.

Example, Sam Madison reworks his deal for say an $8 million bonus. The Dolphins say, we are just trying to create cap room now and Sam won't be with us in 2005(his diminishing skills plus Howard and Poole) so lets make his base salary go up to $5 mill in 2005(I think there are limitation on how high it can increase from year to year though?) so the cap hit will be less........$6 mill(remaining bonus) minus $5 mill(base salary) = only a $1 mill cap hit in 2005 despite the $6 mill remaining on the signing bonus. I don't know if you could follow that or not.:lol: I think I confused myself.

This could cause problems with players knowing they will be cut, but hey, he collected his $8-10 million for one season and now can sign another deal elsewhere.

That signing bonus he wants is murder.......It is basically a non-starter.....if you do the numbers....Ogun is being unreasonable.

Back
Top Bottom